Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Syndil
  • 1 Post By ijip
  1.    #1  
    Based on the three Pre 3s and the TouchPad currently in the FCC database, along with HP's older filings from previous devices, I believe I have figured out what the letters in the FCC IDs that HP uses mean. Based on this, you should be able to get a basic idea of what a device is and what it can do based on the ID, and you should be able to predict the ID of future devices.

Let's consider the latest GSM Pre 3's FCC ID: B94HHF30CE

All of HP's FCC ID's will start with "B94". This is HP's manufacturer code.

The next two letters indicate the type of device. "HH" stands for "Hand Held." Other types include "BO" for "circuit BOard" and "BCM" for "Broadcom Module." They seem to occasionally take a bit of liberty with this part of the naming convention.

The next letter indicated which manufacturer built the device for HP.

I- Inventec, Taiwan
    P - Pegatron, Taiwan
    F - Foxconn, China

So we know the Pre 3 is made by Foxconn in China, while the TouchPad (B94HHI29C) is made by Inventec in Taiwan.

The numbers following the manufacturing facility letter indicate the sequential number of the FCC filing. The TouchPad is 29, and the Pre 3 is 30.

After this is the letter "C." No idea what it stands for, but seems to be present in most of HP's filings.

The final letter--if present--indicates that a cellular radio is present, and tells you what market it is for. Note that since the TouchPad does not have a cellular radio, it does not have this final character, and ends with the C.

If the cellular radio is a CDMA radio, the final letter will indicate which carrier it is for. If the cellular radio is a GSM radio, the final letter will indicate which region the radio is intended to operate in.

So far, we have seen:

V - Verizon (CDMA)
    N - North Ameria (GSM)
    E - Europe (GSM)

So if there is to be a Pre 3 on Sprint, it will most likely have the FCC ID of B94HHF30CS.
    Last edited by Syndil; 06/02/2011 at 08:25 AM.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    JED-WEB-OS likes this.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    someone has alot of time on their hands
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    sledge007 likes this.
  3.    #3  
    It was a puzzle to me, and I just couldn't leave it alone till I had figured it out. That mysterious "C" is still driving me nuts. :P

Well, some more info on the C. Prior to 2011, the "C" stood for "Cellular." Devices ended with "C" if they were cellphones, or they ended with things like "AGN" if they were WiFI A/G/N devices, and so on. Also prior to 2011, there were no carrier or region letters. Not sure what it is supposed to mean now, or if maybe they screwed up the ID for the TouchPad by having it end in C.
    Last edited by Syndil; 06/02/2011 at 08:15 AM.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Why would a Sprint model be any different from a Verizon one, as far as the FCC is concerned?
    Check out Movie Diary.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    they both use cdma tech, but different specturms..... but i am not sure if the cdma pre3 thats has been passed by the FCC also includes the spectrum for both sprint and verizon.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  6.    #6  
    In the past, CDMA devices shared a single FCC ID for either Sprint or Verizon. The Centro is an example of this. Only one FCC ID: O8F-747, and there were models for both Sprint and Verizon.

If my assumptions are correct and "V" does indeed stand for Verizon, this could indicate that a WiMax Pre 3 is being considered for Sprint... Or it could indicate that HP does not intend to make a Pre 3 for Sprint.

But yes, you are right, there should not have to be a separate filing for Sprint and Verizon.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    In the past, CDMA devices shared a single FCC ID for either Sprint or Verizon. The Centro is an example of this. Only one FCC ID: O8F-747, and there were models for both Sprint and Verizon.

If my assumptions are correct and "V" does indeed stand for Verizon, this could indicate that a WiMax Pre 3 is being considered for Sprint... Or it could indicate that HP does not intend to make a Pre 3 for Sprint.

But yes, you are right, there should not have to be a separate filing for Sprint and Verizon.
    I am with you and guessing that this is due to LTE vs. WiMax. Even though there is no sign of 4G at this point, it could be a long term naming concept.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I'm still not convinced V is Verizon. Could stand for EV-DO, and they can't use E since that's Europe.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIЙ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    C for consumer? As opposed to for-resale or a special commercial device of some sort?

What filings do not have a 'C'?
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I'm still not convinced V is Verizon. Could stand for EV-DO, and they can't use E since that's Europe.
    OHHH OHHH OHHH

What if E is for "enterprise". I could see em rolling out a slightly modified device for enterprise users with how hard core they have pushed enterprise.... just saying.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    C for consumer? As opposed to for-resale or a special commercial device of some sort?

CDMA?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIЙ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Based on . . . HP's older filings from previous devices, I believe I have figured out what the letters in the FCC IDs that HP uses mean.
    I'd like to believe your theory. Based on it, what product is: B94SDGOB1081 - no cheating.
  13.    #13  
    There are plenty of examples where HP did not follow the naming convention, especially the further back you look. But I recognize that particular ID from my prior research, trying to see if it followed the convention. And when I saw the photo, and was really curious to know what it was. It's a docking display/tablet thingy for a printer.

I concluded it does not follow the same convention that they are using for this latest batch of devices. Phones generally do, but there are even some of those that do not. Some of their older ID's start with B94 and are all numbers after that.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post

The only filings that do not have a C, as far as I can tell, do not follow the same naming convention.

Well, I take that back. Some of them followed the convention but lacked the C, instead using AGN or BT or something to indicate what kind of radios were present. Like I said earlier, prior to 2011, the "C" appeared to mean "Cellular," so there were plenty of non-cellphones that did not have it. Actually the TouchPad is the only device to really throw a monkey wrench into things, by including a "C" but not having a cellular radio.

This could be because the TouchPad is capable of holding a cellular radio, and we might very well see later versions of the TouchPads FCC ID with the additional carrier letter at the end. Say B94HHI29CN for a North American GSM TouchPad.
    Last edited by Syndil; 06/02/2011 at 05:05 PM.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I just hope 'C' isn"t for Coming... Sorry I even hate that, but had to...
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
  16.    #16  
    Not really important, but check out what I found after Googling one of the Pre 3's FCC IDs:

Расшифровка обозначений устройств HP в базе FCC

The Russians are copying this forum!
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Not really important, but check out what I found after Googling one of the Pre 3's FCC IDs:

Расшифровка обозначений устройств HP в базе FCC

The Russians are copying this forum!
    In Soviet Russia, sites copy you!