Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Uplinq 2011 Live : Jon Rubinstein: We might license webOS to partners who will run just one OS.

Asked Jon Rubinstein about if HP will license webOS he said:

"We will not license a partner who launch its devices with Android, Microsoft (Windows Phone) and webOS. We want a partner who really wants to delivery a very unique ecosystem."

So, HP is thinking in a partner who launch its hardware smartphones and maybe other form factors devices but just with webOS, not other mobile OS, that shares HP webOS ecosystem vision. It would mean also notebooks, netbooks, tablets, laptops, smartphones etc. maybe ?

The event end.

There was a interesting poll in between:

What webOS device are you most excited about?

Results after 10 minutes of the event:

TouchPad 50%
    Veer 25%
    Pre3 25%

But after the HP webOS new video clip where was not the Veer but the TouchPad and Pre3 at the end of it.

TouchPad 54%
    Veer 3%
    Pre3 43%

A different poll:

Do you use cross platforms frame works when developing your application?
    Yes 38%
    No 62%
    Last edited by akitayo; 06/01/2011 at 05:24 PM. Reason: More information
    Thanks, linked to your post in thread below

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-palm...j-article.html
    You know what hardware partner would give up android to develop only webOS, Ruby needs to wake up and announce Samsung and HTC as partners.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Uplinq 2011 Live : Jon Rubinstein: We might license webOS to partners who will run just one OS.

Asked Jon Rubinstein about if HP will license webOS he said:

"We will not license a partner who launch its devices with Android, Microsoft (Windows Phone) and webOS. We want a partner who really wants to delivery a very unique ecosystem."
    That seems like a very untenable position to me.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    you know the more i think about it, the more i think one of the partners could be dell, when he consistantly brings up ecosystems, i can see samsung as im sure there will be a webos version for the tv -=)
    Now they need to link up with steam to offer an xbox live alternative for games....

edit: oh and the fact that Hp ceo did not name dell as a competitor....
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  6.    #6  
    There was a before news about Samsung was looking for cloud OS. They might be a good partner. Samsung was founded in 1938 and has a lot of business .One of the strength is the electronis parts they build a long time ago and are in multiple brand devices worldwide.

If they drop Android and go for webOS as a unique platform for their devices, HP might pick them. However, the question is :How long will take the change ? And what will be the conditions of the contract. ?

Samsung - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    There was a before news about Samsung was looking for cloud OS. They might be a good partner. Samsung was founded in 1938 and has a lot of business .One of the strength is the electronis parts they build a long time ago and are in multiple brand devices worldwide.

If they drop Android and go for webOS as a unique platform for their devices, HP might pick them. However, the question is :How long will take the change ? And what will be the conditions of the contract. ?

Samsung - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Samsung will never drop android, they have sold 30 million android phones over last year.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    they dont need to choose over the other. they just need to intergrate the webos ecosystem. and samsung makes lots of tv and other appliances.....
    imagine soemthing like google tv built into the tv and u could control it from your Touchpad or veer....
    maybe even touch to share.... wanna show a quick photo just tap on the tv from ure pre and magic, its on the screen... get notifications on the tv screen hahaha things can get interesting!
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    they dont need to choose over the other. they just need to intergrate the webos ecosystem. and samsung makes lots of tv and other appliances.....
    imagine soemthing like google tv built into the tv and u could control it from your Touchpad or veer....
    maybe even touch to share.... wanna show a quick photo just tap on the tv from ure pre and magic, its on the screen... get notifications on the tv screen hahaha things can get interesting!
    But Ruby said he is not going to give it to someone who makes androids, windows etc
    Once again Ruby sucks the party out of the room

While Leo supports ideas such as HTC building phones...

Ruby says:

Who in the world would drop Android or heck even WP7 for WebOS?

HTC, Samsung, LG, Motorola = all great hardware builders, all not going to drop anything for WebOS.

Here's hoping he shot out of a cannon and into the sun.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    That seems like a very untenable position to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    But Ruby said he is not going to give it to someone who makes androids, windows etc
    Yes, I think HP wants to sell the full package for different form factors besides smartphones. It is not easy to reach that point but not impossible. HP has to bring a win win offer with webOS.

I just recieved this report to my inbox e-mail today:

Report: Microsoft seeking tight control over tablet partners

Bloomberg reports that Microsoft is seeking to keep a tight control over its future Windows tablet ecosystem, asking its chipmaker partners to work with “no more than one” computer manufacturer.

In return for agreeing to the terms, Microsoft will provide “incentives,” according to an unnamed source. It was said that the plan may help the computer giant speed the delivery of new Windows tablets to market, by keeping tighter control over partners and by accelerating development and testing. Bloomberg also notes comments from JT Wang, chairman and CEO of Acer, who suggested that various participants in the ecosystem feel that Microsoft’s attempts to control their efforts are “very troublesome.”

Currently, Microsoft has a limited presence in the tablet market using a version of its Windows 7 desktop operating system, while much of the momentum is around devices powered by “lite” operating systems such as Android and iOS.

Although in the PC environment Microsoft has allowed its silicon partners to work with multiple vendors to deliver a range of products to market, it has taken a more controlling stance in the smartphone space, where it has kept a tight rein on its Windows Phone 7 ecosystem. Its attempts to limit partner efforts are not unique: Google, for example, works closely with vendors to launch flagship Android products, such as Motorola’s Xoom tablet. And Apple is in a largely unique position, offering hardware based on its own platforms, giving it end-to-end control.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post

Who in the world would drop Android or heck even WP7 for WebOS?
    Nokia just went all in with WP7 and it's not exactly flying off the shelves.
  13.    #13  
    Rubinstein: No Walled Garden for webOS at HP.

An article posted by wirelessweek, some of the JR comments where before posted . However the writer adds a little more.

Full article:

SAN DIEGO—HP may allow outside companies to manufacture wireless devices running webOS, former Palm CEO and current HP webOS boss Jon Rubinstein said at Qualcomm's Uplinq conference Wednesday.

"HP is more than willing to partner with one or two special companies," Rubinstein said during a discussion with journalist Kevin Maney, adding HP would be willing to partner with an outside company that "brings something special to the ecosystem."

Rubinstein, a former Apple executive, said webOS was "not a walled garden." However, Rubinstein stopped short of announcing that HP planned to go open source with webOS, saying that HP was "not in the licensing business."

HP, which bought Palm and its webOS platform last spring, is getting ready to put its mobile devices before consumers. The company recently came out with its first handset since the acquisition closed, the pint-sized HP Veer, and plans to launch the HP Pre3 smartphone and HP TouchPad tablet soon.

The Pre3 smartphone and the TouchPad will hit shelves this summer, Rubinstein said, but declined to provide specific details around pricing and availability.

Rubinstein's heritage at Apple was apparent during his presentation. Like Apple's line of iOS products, Rubenstein laid out a portrait of webOS devices that would all run the same platform and be made by the same manufacturer, in this case HP.

HP's webOS devices will be integrated with each other in some of the same ways that Apple's iPad and iPhone work together. For example, Pre3 users will be able to share information with the TouchPad with the company's touch-to-share technology.

Rubinstein also said HP was striving to create a "unified experience across devices" using webOS, so that the end-user experience for the Pre3 would be similar to that on the Veer and TouchPad despite the differences in sizes.

HP is getting into the gadget market at a tough time. Competition for smartphones and tablets is rampant, and the company will have to fight Google's Android operating system for market share – no small task.

Rubinstein admitted that HP and webOS were "the underdogs" but predicted the company's products would succeed in the long run on the strength of its content, device ecosystem and user experience.

"I think you're going to see a lot of devices fail," Rubinstein said, citing the dozens of tablets that launched at the Consumer Electronics Show in January. "It's going to be about more than the device itself."

Rubinstein said HP had conducted "extensive outreach" to the developer community to build apps for webOS in an effort to make the platform more competitive, and emphasized that webOS was an easy platform to develop for, since it uses some of the same tools as Web developers.

However, he eschewed the idea that the platform could not compete without a base of apps on the scale of iOS or Android. "Apps are absolutely critically important, but in the longer term, it's content that's important," Rubinstein said, citing the volume of books available through Amazon's Kindle app.

Palm is just beginning to emerge from a quiet period after its buyout by HP. Before the acquisition, Palm lacked the scale it needed to compete, Rubinstein said. Now the company is back, and to hear Rubinstein tell it, it's ready to fight for its place in the wireless market.

Source: Rubinstein: No Walled Garden for webOS at HP | Wireless Week
    Thanks, some interesting quotes that I linked to in this discussion.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...34#post2980534
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    The 2 companies i believe he is refereing to are LG and samsung, only because not only do they make phones but also tv's and many other appliances. HTC as far as i know only works with phones.
    when ruby is saying he doesnt want a company that will just stick webos on their phone, it doesnt mean he is against a company diong just that. he is just saying he wants the ecosystem spread through out their products...
    THANKS~!!
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    This reminds me of Apple, mid 90's. They licensed MacOS to a couple companies that were dedicated to making Mac clones. They got a little too successful, and Apple threw them under the bus.
    A company is taking on a lot of risk being a dedicated WebOS hardware company.
    I would be more than okay with this, especially if HP set EXTREMELY strict contractual guidelines.

For example...

"In order for our hardware partner to release a webOS phone, the following criteria for the device must be met: a choice of three or four different resolutions, a minimum processor speed, a minimum amount of RAM, an EXACT number of buttons, a minimum battery size, you must not build the device out of materials that we deem cheap or ugly (*looks at Samsung*), you MUST NOT in ANY WAY modify the software of webOS (*looks at Samsung again*), and lastly but most importantly, you must not lock the kernel or prevent Homebrew from working on the device."

THAT would produce some great phones.
    my thought is he is probably talking about hardware. He doesn't wamt the htc evo for example running webos, he wants htc or another phone maker to to make a specific phone for webos, not a cookie cutter android phone running webos. That seems to make more scense to me b/c no one is going to drop android to just build phones for webos.
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdiyguy View Post
    my thought is he is probably talking about hardware. He doesn't wamt the htc evo for example running webos, he wants htc or another phone maker to to make a specific phone for webos, not a cookie cutter android phone running webos. That seems to make more scense to me b/c no one is going to drop android to just build phones for webos.
    I think what ruby meant was he will license webOS to makers of other appliances. Like Chrysler for Car, Panasonic for TV and stuff like that. Crysler and Panasonic would be their third party retailers.
    The evo is as far from cookie cutter as you can get.

I don't see how he could mean anything he didn't clearly say.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast