Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    The dream is coming true! WebOS on a Nexus S or Galaxy S 2!!

HP's Leo Apotheker totally open to licensing webOS to other handset makers -- Engadget
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    The dream is coming true! WebOS on a Nexus S or Galaxy S 2!!

HP's Leo Apotheker totally open to licensing webOS to other handset makers -- Engadget
    I am up for upgrading my phone this december. If either Samsung or HTC is making webOS phone, I am willing to wait my next upgrade. I love webOS but I hated HP design, it looks so cheap. But if Samsung or HTC makes the webOS, it will just kick ***. Why would anyone is going to buy Android phone?
    HTC and webOS
    Just call me Berd.
    tj$bags likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    HTC and webOS
    I just love the sound of it, HTC webOS HD3 or Samsung Galaxy webOS!!

I can't wait!
    As long as they don't allow companies like Motorola to skin it (ie: Motoblur) and keep it the same across all platforms (not like Android) - this would be a HUGE move for HP. The more mobile devices have it, the more webOS will penetrate other markets. This is fantastic news!
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    As long as they don't allow companies like Motorola to skin it (ie: Motoblur) and keep it the same across all platforms (not like Android) - this would be a HUGE move for HP. The more mobile devices have it, the more webOS will penetrate other markets. This is fantastic news!
    Since it's a license agreement instead of a free use license like with Android, they can exhibit a LOT more control over what is done with it.
  7.    #7  
    You know what I think made the change in HP's philosophy on this? Cloud services (Music, Video, etc). Before that, I think they didn't see how they could make a lot of money off webOS unless they also sold the devices. But if they offer (for pay of course) cloud music/video services, video conferencing (extra stuff) services and other cloud services that are all served to webOS users, then they can make money off it just like Google does off Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I think thats the problem. I think the motivation behind "skinning" is to differentiate amongst the other products of the same form factor. If WebOS licenses to just 1 handset maker, then there is no problem, but if they license to everyone, than the same motivation to skin will apply.

I am all for HP keeping WebOS native for tablets and licensing to any 1 of: Samsung, HTC, or Motorola.
    Please Samsung, Please Samsung, would love a tab like 10.1 and a phone like Galaxy SII. OMG, no one would talk about IP and IP's. You know what I mean
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Since it's a license agreement instead of a free use license like with Android, they can exhibit a LOT more control over what is done with it.
    I like the sound of that. Though I have to wonder what other manufacturers would think of Preware and the like.
    <<stickied>>
    Just call me Berd.
    I'm hoping HP prevents anyone they license to from doing the BS that some of them have been doing with locking the Android bootloader.
    I think these will be strategic licensing agreements where the UI can't be touched, other than choice of background and colors and limited Network branding - HP spent good money on WebOS and won't even think about losing the identity of its brand through fragmentation -

The beauty of WebOS is how it works - if you want to change any of that, then you shouldnt be licensing it.

This is very good news, indeed - Samsung has already expressed an interest - we saw that in another thread here on PreCentral.
    Last edited by LCGuy; 06/01/2011 at 03:02 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

As much as I'd like to see WebOS stay solely in the hands of HP/Palm, this is really the only way for WebOS to make a dent in the share of the mobile market. They are just way too far behind at this point to get even close to catching up with only supplier of WebOS devices. I wondered about the possibility of this happening a while back in these forums and people acted like I was crazy for suggesting it. They will need to take an Android approach, with a new WebOS device coming out every couple of months. While I am quite pleased with the Pre Plus/2 form factor, let other companies experiment with different ones. I hope HP/Palm don't license it out and eventually give up making their own mobile devices, but licensing it is really the only chance WebOS has to get into the conversation.
    My best Treo I ever owned was built by HTC.
    The Gsm Treo Pro was raved as the "Best Treo Ever"
    I'm still using mine for when I'm out in my shop.
    It's really banged up, but it hasn't one operation flaw.
    Htc builds rock solid devices.
    Just call me Berd.
    tj$bags likes this.
    It would be interesting to see how many cell phone makers want to use WebOS. This should definitely result in more app development.
    My best Treo I ever owned was built by HTC.
    The Gsm Treo Pro was raved as the "Best Treo Ever"
    I'm still using mine for when I'm out in my shop.
    It's really banged up, but it hasn't one operation flaw.
    Htc builds rock solid devices.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    I think these will be strategic licensing agreements where the UI can't be touched, other than choice of background and colors and limited Network branding - HP spent good money on WebOS and won't even think about losing the identity of its brand through fragmentation -

The beauty of WebOS is how it works - if you want to change any of that, then you shouldnt be licensing it.

This is very good news, indeed - Samsung has already expressed an interest - we saw that in another thread here on PreCentral.
    but then why would they do it? how do they differentiate from competitors if multiple companies are producing similar form factors?
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    but then why would they do it? how do they differentiate from competitors if multiple companies are producing similar form factors?
    There are about 3 billion cell pohone users in the world, and only 400 - 500 million smartphone users, currently.

There's more than enough market to go around - however, differentiating is not difficult, as every company has their own style and theory of hardware design, not to mention innovational designs that one company might not think of.

Remember my dual screen smartphone design from last year? Palm's style would never do this, but HTC sure would!

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    For the same reasons companies built Windows Mobile, and now build WP7 phones. You can still move devices. Even with tighter control from the OS developer.

I am ready to stand in line for my dual core powered, Super-AMOLED Plus screened, LTE enabled, Samsung Galaxy WeboS phone.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    tj$bags likes this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast