Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 68
Like Tree5Likes
  1. #21  
    Whoa, people, hold your horses. You're making huge assumptions here. You need to come back down to Earth so if you're disappointed you won't hit the ground too hard.

    Now, here are a couple of quotes from that Engadget article:

    When asked if he'd consider licensing webOS to a company like HTC, he confessed to being very willing to having that conversation should the scenario present itself
    Now, that doesn't tell me, "Yes, we want to do it and are actively looking to do so." (No, that's what the title of this topic says, not Leo) That tells me, "If someone came along who wants to partner with us, we'll hear them out and decide if it works for us."

    It's hard to say if he's just shooting the breeze or if there's already a company or two behind the scenes looking to do just that
    Here, we get a healthy dose of skepticism mixed with crazy speculation. Truth is, it is hard to say if he's just shooting the breeze, thinking out loud. Remember, this is the same guy who said HP wouldn't announce products if they aren't weeks from availability, around the same time that the Touchpad and Pre 3 were announced for "summer" way back when.

    If you go around saying that you will stand in line for a "dual core, Super Duper AMOLED PLUS PLUS screen, LTE" phone, you're setting yourself up for huge disappointment.

    This is reality, people.
  2. #22  
    there's already a rumor for Samsung was seeking webOS. I think the wheel is already rolling. It's just matter of when it's going to happen. I'll say they should aiming for 2012 spring release of Samsung webOS phone.
  3. #23  
    I think assumptions are running wild here. The fact is HP is just suggesting the idea of licensing webOS on 3rd party appliances to help an expanding a connected ecosystem. The question regarding HTC came up was answered in a way that the company would "entertain" the idea.

    I don’t believe we will see webOS licensed to mobile device manufactures, just companies that make home appliances and enterprise products.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post

    If you go around saying that you will stand in line for a "dual core, Super Duper AMOLED PLUS PLUS screen, LTE" phone, you're setting yourself up for huge disappointment.

    This is reality, people.
    Not really. I would love to have said phone. I won't be disappointed if I don't get it, as I already wasn't expecting it. I am still not expecting it. That doesn't mean I wouldn't buy that phone if it existed. I will own the exact phone I described, minus webOS, any way.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    I think assumptions are running wild here. The fact is HP is just suggesting the idea of licensing webOS on 3rd party appliances to help an expanding a connected ecosystem. The question regarding HTC came up was answered in a way that the company would "entertain" the idea.

    I don’t believe we will see webOS licensed to mobile device manufactures, just companies that make home appliances and enterprise products.
    Why do people have to come in and say this stuff? Assumptions? No, imaginations are running wild. And what does that hurt? I would love the Galaxy S II to run webOS, so I will have some fun today entertaining said idea.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    but then why would they do it? how do they differentiate from competitors if multiple companies are producing similar form factors?
    They differentiate in hardware design/specs (and price), not in OS. Guess what? This has worked for years in the PC market. They all (95%) run Windows.
  7. ijip's Avatar
    Posts
    885 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    #27  
    yep... tis is positive thing.. as long as they do it like micrsoft and keep a tight reign. and not like google and just let hardware makers do as they wish with the OS
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    HTC and webOS
    Yes (Samsung's hardware always feels so very plastic-y)

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    As long as they don't allow companies like Motorola to skin it (ie: Motoblur) and keep it the same across all platforms (not like Android) - this would be a HUGE move for HP. The more mobile devices have it, the more webOS will penetrate other markets. This is fantastic news!
    And absolutely. I'd love to see HP make a Microsoft WP7 approach, where they license it but restrict what all the OEMs can do. I'd also like it if they focused on making the OEMs distinguish between themselves using industrial design, instead of gimmicky software tweaks and tricks that end up only being a nuisance.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    Why do people have to come in and say this stuff? Assumptions? No, imaginations are running wild. And what does that hurt? I would love the Galaxy S II to run webOS, so I will have some fun today entertaining said idea.
    My post is not meant to stop you or anyone from having "fun” My statement was an observation I constructed based off the article. You know IMHO...

    The truth is no one knows what the future holds. Maybe webOS is licensed to OnStar and is a leading competitor to Ford's MS Sync?...could you imagine that?
  10. cooknn's Avatar
    Posts
    388 Posts
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    #30  
    Haven't posted here in a while. Writing this on my HTC EVO Shift. It is a beautiful piece of hardware. The forthcoming HTC Sensation is bleeding edge. webOS would freaking rock on HTC hardware.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    yep... tis is positive thing.. as long as they do it like micrsoft and keep a tight reign. and not like google and just let hardware makers do as they wish with the OS
    This!
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

    One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    I think assumptions are running wild here. The fact is HP is just suggesting the idea of licensing webOS on 3rd party appliances to help an expanding a connected ecosystem. The question regarding HTC came up was answered in a way that the company would "entertain" the idea.

    I don’t believe we will see webOS licensed to mobile device manufactures, just companies that make home appliances and enterprise products.
    Completely agree. Yes, some people are having fun with it, but a lot of people sound like they are expecting these devices now, like they are guaranteed.
  13. #33  
    Pretty sure Rubinstein just shot this whole concept down at the Uplinq thing. Updated my post here with the loose quote: Update: Maybe Not? HP Open to Licensing webOS – iFans – iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch Fans Check the updated section.

    Basically, I was listening in on the chat and he said that no, they aren't looking in to licensing the OS. Perhaps Apotheker misspoke.
  14. #34  
    Ruby clarified it with this statement:

    "He said webOS was designed to scale to several different device families, which he company plans to build into several future product lines. He also said the company does not plan to license out the software, preferring to build its own devices for its platform, but added that H-P might consider looking at “one or two special companies” that could bring something unique to the platform.

    “Our model is not to be in the licensing business. There is tremendous strength in building the whole ecosystem,” he said. "

    As I posted a few days ago, strategic partnerships with a select few mobile device manufacturers would be a VERY smart idea for HP and WebOS - HTC and Samsung have their own design styles and techniques that HP would likely never do - that's more potential market penetration due the the appeal that their devices have received in the market.

    IMO, of course.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post
    Pretty sure Rubinstein just shot this whole concept down at the Uplinq thing. Updated my post here with the loose quote: Update: Maybe Not? HP Open to Licensing webOS – iFans – iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch Fans Check the updated section.

    Basically, I was listening in on the chat and he said that no, they aren't looking in to licensing the OS. Perhaps Apotheker misspoke.
    Perhaps Apotheker is Rubenstein's boss.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    The truth is no one knows what the future holds. Maybe webOS is licensed to OnStar and is a leading competitor to Ford's MS Sync?...could you imagine that?
    I don't like that idea. Because I am probably going to get a Ford for my next car, how about they just dump Microsoft instead?
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post

    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post
    Pretty sure Rubinstein just shot this whole concept down at the Uplinq thing. Updated my post here with the loose quote: Update: Maybe Not? HP Open to Licensing webOS – iFans – iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch Fans Check the updated section.

    Basically, I was listening in on the chat and he said that no, they aren't looking in to licensing the OS. Perhaps Apotheker misspoke.
    Perhaps Apotheker is Rubenstein's boss.
    LMAO.

    I dont think Apotheker misspoke, nor do i think Ruby is contradicting his boss, i think its just a misunderstanding. If you expect to see HTC and Samsung spewing out webOS handsets like they've been doing with android, you'll probably be setting yourself up for disappointment. I think Apotheker and Ruby are both saying that they would be open to working with one or two companies interested in aligning their focus with webOS. they still want to control completely the ecosystem. I doubt they care to be bothered with manufacturer induced update delays nor their attempts to differentiate through software.

    If anything we'll see Nexus 1/S type collaborations. where HP controls the specs and the OEMs just build it.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    but then why would they do it? how do they differentiate from competitors if multiple companies are producing similar form factors?
    Look at Windows Phone 7. HTC, Samsung and LG all have their own HUB where you can have specific things they designed for you. They could do that with WebOS.

    And guys, WebOS going to other third party phones may not over take Android -- but will defiantly make Microsoft shake in their boots. Windows Phone 7 is still getting off the ground, and it won't be till next year we'll start to see it start flying on it's own. If HTC, Samsung and HP all work together and push out some amazing hardware this and next year Microsoft will be in trouble!!
  19. #39  
    At the Qualcomm event (today) Jon said they weren't looking to license webOS. It's interesting to see two executives publicly state different ideologies/strategies. Seems like there is a level of disconnect at the higher level.

    I think Leo said too much today.
  20. #40  
    does this mean webos will go open source then? i mean WOW this is a smart move on hp's part. id love for my new nexus s to run it if it could. could you imagine an evo type htc phone running webos!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions