1.    #1  
    The backlight of my 270 has failed after 3 weeks- rendering the unit as good as useless. I haven;t called Handspring yet- does anyone know if they will replace it with a brand new machine or a refurb? last thing I need after spending 250 ( $ 400) on a new machine is to end up with a second hand machin ( refurb) after 3 weeks. Maybe the retailer has an obligation to swap it for a new machine?
    What difference does it make? It's not like it comes all dirty and scratched up. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference between new and refurbished anyway.
  3.    #3  
    Call me crazy, but have purchased a new Treo, I don't want , after 2 weeks to end up with a secondhand one.
    Ad it happens I've since found out that CarPhonewarehouse will replace it for another brand new one as it's within 28 days...
    I totally agree - you paid for a new machine - HS should replace it with a new machine (especially since you have only had it three weeks!). Perhaps HS should adopt a policy whereby, refurbished units are only given out to customers who have had their machine one month or more.

I am on my second 'B' stock 180 (as HS call it) machine. These are indeed refurbished units. I requested an 'A' stock machine but no go (they said they would but...). It's all pretty crummy considering my last 'B' stock machine lasted all of 4 days

HS explained that their policy is to issue a 270 to 180 owners only after they return the third faulty machine.

So, what will HS do if you return your third 270? Give you the crown jewels?
    I guess my point is, how would you know what you got? What would the difference be?

Also, I have never heard of this 3rd replacement on a 180, get a 270. There are probably a few people on this board that have had 3 replacements. Did any of them get offered this?
  6.    #6  
    Appleman, I guess you're right, only in as much as "ignorance is bliss" !!
    Originally posted by Appleman
    I guess my point is, how would you know what you got? What would the difference be?

Also, I have never heard of this 3rd replacement on a 180, get a 270. There are probably a few people on this board that have had 3 replacements. Did any of them get offered this?
    They don't offer it! That would be taking HS service into another realm. I asked about getting a 270 replacement twice and was told the same thing "...only after the third return...". The last time the person said "...this is Handspring return policy..." This was through the HS European distributor - Modus Media.

You have nothing to lose. Ask and you may receive....
    Originally posted by wayno
    Appleman, I guess you're right, only in as much as "ignorance is bliss" !!
    There ya go! That's the Handspring conformed attitude.