Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    someone needs to make a modular phone, make this like PC computing. You buy a chassis, a battery / hookup, a screen, a camera, a keyboard or not, and your usual assortment of wireless radios. Maybe even let you design it on a website and then order it assembled, or order the pieces and do it yourself.

hmm Probably FCC wouldn't let you do the latter.
    Until then, putting Sprint radios into the Pre2 is the closest thing... but I'd sure buy one if they ever made a kit like that... Hello Heathkit?
    This will come eventually. You'll buy the radios separately; the screen will be integrated into your clothing, either as a flexible screen on your arm, or your watch, or a HUD integrated into your glasses; etc. Everything will be standardized, and everything will communicate via the same cord that provides power to each component of the device. You can add WiFi, Bluetooth, IR, storage, bigger/smaller displays, etc. etc.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    IMO, first will come blank smartphones with optional OS. Buy phone than buy any OS you want and install it.
    It has existed once, I don't remember the name, but the company died recently. I think they were from Israel.

This kind of phone can only be sold to hackers and power users. Most people just want a phone that works, they don't want to install an operating system to it.

It will have the same future as the Openmoko Freerunner and friends, just a few people will get them.

-- Edit: That was easy, look for "Modu Israel Modular Phone" in Google

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg