1.    #1  
    I know about the hooplay Android surge from last year, we all know, though we all understand they had little competition last year in terms of new companies with new OS's (no webos really, no Wp7 until Q4 etc). Now considering Wp7 has started a charge, up to 20k applications twice to that number then google and as fast as Apple did with the Appstore. They also have over 25k developers on board. Now consider what some anaylist say as WP7 will overtake Android in 2012 or 2013, what would that mean for HP. I do believe Android will taper off alot very soon, with more options for the consumer from other companies, and less innovation offered by Google (again my opinion). Though take some of these thoughts in consideration:

Pyramid forecasts a steep growth rate for Windows Phone 7 starting in 2011 through mid 2012, and by the start of 2013, Microsoft's mobile platform eventually will overtake Android's market share and stay slightly ahead of it thereafter. While Android will continue to grow beyond 2013, its growth will slow down compared to the skyrocketing surge in 2010 and 2011, Pyramid says. And, the research firm adds, while Windows Phone 7 will maintain leadership from 2013 through 2015, the battle with Android "will be fierce going forward and will result in many overtakings and ties between the two operating systems going forward."

If we combine this with earlier IDC reports which state that,Windows mobile phone partner, Nokia was the worldwide top seller of all mobile phones in the fourth quarter of 2010, and managed to actually increased its sales slightly for all of 2010, by shipping 453 million phones, up from 431.8 million in 2009, then Microsoft has a good chance to confirm these Pyramid Research's reports. We'll just sit down and watch!

Which makes sense, especially now with Nokia on board that adds so much more scale to WP7 that it can actully fully compete on a device per device basis as Android which is what they intend on doing. To me WP7 offers so much more then android in terms of innovation (I have had all 3 platforms, and has had them for a extended period of time though again an opinon). With WP7 now taking on the Google approach, does HP now have to start considering companies like Samsung to use webos on some of their products, just to make sure it isnt muffled out by another carrier, and proven carriers this time in microsoft/nokia.

Windows Phone 7 after 7 months - Page 3 | Editorial | TechConnect Magazine
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    You raise a bunch of good points. As much as I'm a huge Palm / WebOS addict and plan to stick around, the fact that Palm dropped the ball for all things PIM and hasn't yet picked it up is a big concern to me. I know, it hasn't been Palm's biggest priority and I know some things (ie: ActiveSync limitations) have been part of the problem.

Bring in the fact that Microsoft, the owner of the Office Suite of products (not to mention Exchange, ActiveSync, etc..), is back in the mobile game. Not a huge stretch to see them covering stuff like:
    -Full Outlook / WP7 integration (perhaps via ActiveSync extensions or something else)
    -Full editing of Office documents on-device and sync via SkyDrive, etc.. (I believe they have some of that already)

Looking at the industry, my rough impression of 'PIM-concern' is:
    -Apple provides the basics, but it's pretty weak unless you buy 3rd party apps
    -RIM provides a decent solution, but, it's still feature-slim compared to the Old PalmOS options. RIM still feels like the 'old-guard' as one of the few Mobile OS'es still providing 'out of the box' PIM support (aside from the Playbook).
    -HP provides a weak set of tools, but, Synergy is a nice touch. 3rd Party apps (ie: Chapura & UberCalendar) cover all the bases for now with V 2.x (point of concern re: WebOS 3 and beyond).
    -Android -- I don't have much info on this, but, seems clunky at best
    -WP7 -- I don't have a good read on this, but, I suspect they will become the new PIM front-runner. Sad, seeing as how Palm was *it* back in the day.

Will be interesting. Here's hoping HP enterprise group have planned features for the Pre3, etc..
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
    Yes, because WP7 has more momentum than webOS. They did not wait for "in the coming months" then release phones with questionable niche features. They advertise all over and they got attention. People are still bashing WP7, but which one is on more than one US carrier right now with current phones?

They do need to fix some of their crap though. Cannot access the microSD card on the latest one. MicroSD card requirements period are a little unreasonable. They need to kick carriers into gear for releasing updates. And I believe you can only sync media with the Zune software. Zune is very nice IMO, but where's open choice?

Verizon's HTC Trophy hides the microSD, forbids you from touching it -- Engadget Mobile
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 05/30/2011 at 01:50 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    WP7 has more momentum than webOS. They did not wait for "in the coming months" then release phones with questionable niche features.
    Where the button "I Agree"?

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Yes, because WP7 has more momentum than webOS. They did not wait for "in the coming months" then release phones with questionable niche features. They advertise all over and they got attention. People are still bashing WP7, but which one is on more than one US carrier right now with current phones?

They do need to fix some of their crap though. Cannot access the microSD card on the latest one. MicroSD card requirements period are a little unreasonable. They need to kick carriers into gear for releasing updates. And I believe you can only sync media with the Zune software. Zune is very nice IMO, but where's open choice?

Verizon's HTC Trophy hides the microSD, forbids you from touching it -- Engadget Mobile

yeah I feel everything your saying, and this is the reason why im concerned when it comes to HP/Palm and webos. They now need to get out the gates next month with products that have no room at all for error to be considered back in the mobile game. They cannot afford one hiccup with any new product this year, and they need to make sure they have the core applications they state they will at launch with no exceptions or excuses. WP7 to me (while using it the past few months) has all the basics and more you need to have on a smartphone. They could use things like you suggested expandable memory (though most open up the phone and do it themselves, they even state a 64Gig card is coming soon for windows phones), as well as USB mass storage access without zune. Though they do have XDA community, but hands down Hombrew is the best hackers on the planet, and is the only one supported by their company fully. If people have not tried a WP7 device they should, because they maxmized on basic things and made them the best like the VK, and the browser. Also the interface is clean and easy, and all there phones are fast with no hiccups or freezes what so ever. The tile interface is very easy on the eyes, and the transitions are gorgeous. Hands down to me WP7 is right behind Webos in terms of innovation as I stated above. Hp needs to really wow people with the tablet next month and make sure the Pre 3 is available on atleast 2 networks out the gate, and as well next month otherwise you kiss the touch to share feature goodbye. Then this slab, and the 7 inch tablet cannot be delayed and with these launches they need atleast 10k to 15k applications core or not IMO.
    WebOS has a tough task ahead...it really has no USP left now with other OS'es catching up so quickly...the approach is also more global with 34 countries covered by September..so HP better have some aces up its sleeve..
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    We have till mango comes out to restablish webOS.
    It all depends on the launch of these devices. If it is a non event launch like the Veer, then big trouble awaits webOS.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Hp needs to really wow people with the tablet next month and make sure the Pre 3 is available on atleast 2 networks out the gate, and as well next month otherwise you kiss the touch to share feature goodbye.
    Que mané, "wow", que nada!

"Wow"? The HP have do to only THREE things: put to sell, good price and ads.

The rest? The S.O., UI and devices make...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)