1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I just came across this article. I have posted the relevant paragraphs to Palm. The article itself is interesting and is titled: Lawsuit accuses Apple, others of 'conspiring' to keep employee wages low.

Take care,

Jay

Here is a link to the entire article:

AppleInsider | Lawsuit accuses Apple, others of 'conspiring' to keep employee wages low

An investigation conducted by the U.S. Justice Department found that Ed Colligan, a former chief executive of Palm, rejected an anti-poaching offer allegedly made by Apple co-founder Steve Jobs. In communications obtained, Colligan reportedly told Jobs that his proposal was "likely illegal."

Jobs allegedly told Colligan he was concerned when Jon Rubinstein, Apple's former senior engineering vice president, was named executive chairman of Palm. In the correspondence, Jobs reportedly said he was worried that Rubinstein would recruit existing Apple employees.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    wow a great read.it goes to show how ruthless Apple is.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by prethadd81 View Post
    Hi,

How true!

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by prethadd81 View Post
    Nothing ruthless about it; just business.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I must agree. However ruthless it may be, agreement works in both ways allowing all affected companies to preserve their IP.
    No, just unethical.

ego2001, MBA, who passed business ethics class with flying colors.
    Prē
    Ouch.
    Quote Originally Posted by ego2001 View Post
    No, just unethical.

ego2001, MBA, who passed business ethics class with flying colors.
    If business ethics are *truly* a concern for a user of a smartphone, you shouldn't be with HP! LOL.

(however if it's just another way to feel better about a competitor, then by all means, carry on...)
    NOTHING (let me repeat that again: NOTHING) in this life is "just business".

Anyone who uses that statement to hide behind is just trying to find an excuse for unethical behavior to serve some self-rewarding purpose.

SJ isnt the only one - the corporate world is riddled with this kind of stuff, and, its progression and prevailing attitude of "everyone is doing it, so why shouldnt I?" is part of what has contributed to a deteriorated practice of any real ethics in the business environment - the problem is, REAL people, and thier families, get hurt by this convenient concept whereby we can justify doing unethical things in the name of "business" (Enron, anyone?) - that doesnt change (and it certainly doesnt make the victims feel any better about it) just becuase "everyone does it".

Our actions, business, personal, or otherwise, are ALWAYS a statement of who and what we are, because, we are fellow human beings first, before any other position in life we fall into or earn, despite what most would conveniently believe to the contrary.

If more people remembered that, we'd likely have way less problems such that we have today throughout our society.

I'd suggest that while we do acknlowledge that this does, sadly happen, that, still, no one ever accept that it (and all unethical actions like it) is or should ever be deemed acceptable - we should always strive for a better and more socially ethical and respectful existence in everything we do, business or otherwise.

Speaking to this specific action - he was absolutely wrong.
    Last edited by LCGuy; 05/28/2011 at 03:09 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Um, it being unethical and potentially illegal would make it rather "ruthless" imo.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I thought this was old news...
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Um, it being unethical and potentially illegal would make it rather "ruthless" imo.
    unethical? hm, not so sure about that. I think poaching is not ethical.
    I guess your not a ruthless company when you try to buy up all the worlds supplies so you wouldn't have any competition isn't ruthless.I guess they do such great business that their employess would kill themselves after losing a prototype or too.

Yoshi: Hello Mr./Mrs Apple
    Apple: Hey!! How are you Yoshi?
    Yoshi: I'm not doing so great.
    Apple: Well what's the problem? I'm sure we can help you out.
    Yoshi: Well...(pauses for a min) I don't know how to put this.
    Apple: C'mon yoshi,you know we don't like to wait!!Did we wait 2 months to realease the Iproducts after showing them?! No! So lets not start a bad trend at apple.
    Yoshi: Okay!!okay!! I lost a prototype for the iphone.But I'm sure we can find it just give a day or two.
    Apple: O no! You lost what?!! You know what to do!!
    Yoshi: Okay your right,I'll resign right away.
    Apple: Resign?! Lmrao!!(laughing my ruthless a#*off)No we don't want your resignation.
    Yoshi: You don't?! That's great news!!
    Apple: No,no,we want your life!!
    Yoshi: What!! It was just a prototype!It didn't even work!!
    Apple: Yes you heard us!! Our prototype which is a material with no soul is more important then you. I wish we could just fire you but we're such a great business company that we don't accept failure.(The End)

If you read the article you would have noticed something that sums up what I stated.

"An investigation conducted by the U.S. Justice Department found that Ed Colligan, a former chief executive of Palm, rejected an anti-poaching offer allegedly made by Apple co-founder Steve Jobs. In communications obtained, Colligan reportedly told Jobs that his proposal was "likely illegal."

-Again this sums it up-
    "Colligan reportedly told Jobs that his proposal was "likely illegal."
    Last edited by prethadd81; 05/31/2011 at 05:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickwestland View Post
    unethical? hm, not so sure about that. I think poaching is not ethical.
    So poaching is defined by one company hiring -- or rather seeking out a rivals employees -- and that is neither illegal or unethical. Anti poaching, however, is also not illegal or unethical because you are free to hire who you want. Of course said employee can not give out trade secrets (GOOGLE: Paypal sues Google 4 & example) or otherwise NDA info said employee agreed to keep secret (like Apple will release a phone with 60 hr battery life and telling Palm how to do it). However its possible what Steve jobs said was a bit odd -- maybe forcing Jon to resign -- or something along those lines. Please for further info go here http://www.vanderbilt.edu/magazines/vanderbilt-magazine/2010/04/in-business-poaching-allowed/ to find out more.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    So poaching is defined by one company hiring -- or rather seeking out a rivals employees -- and that is neither illegal or unethical. Anti poaching, however, is also not illegal or unethical because you are free to hire who you want. Of course said employee can not give out trade secrets (GOOGLE: Paypal sues Google 4 & example) or otherwise NDA info said employee agreed to keep secret (like Apple will release a phone with 60 hr battery life and telling Palm how to do it). However its possible what Steve jobs said was a bit odd -- maybe forcing Jon to resign -- or something along those lines. Please for further info go here In Business, Poaching Allowed | Vanderbilt Magazine | Vanderbilt University to find out more.
    Um...

People should have a free employment market, based on qualifications alone and not be blacklisted or labelled as "untouchable" because of a silent agreement between companies...

THAT is illegal.

If an Apple executive wants to leave Apple to work with IBM, or Microsoft, then she/he should be free to do so.

As for trade secrets, that's what NDA's are all about - they are part of most every single managment employment contract in place today.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Um...

People should have a free employment market, based on qualifications alone and not be blacklisted or labelled as "untouchable" because of a silent agreement between companies...

THAT is illegal.

If an Apple executive wants to leave Apple to work with IBM, or Microsoft, then she/he should be free to do so.

As for trade secrets, that's what NDA's are all about - they are part of most every single managment employment contract in place today.
    I agree. If two companies conspire together to limit the employment options their employees, then that could be called collusion. It's not business, it's illegal. This directly effects a workers right to seek employment options for higher pay or a better position at the companies in their industry.