1.    #1  
    Would love to hear of the role of webOS in this:

HP Launches Paul McCartney’s Instant-On Digital Library

Press Release Source: HP On Thursday May 26, 2011, 7:45 am EDT

PALO ALTO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- HP (NYSE:HPQ - News) today announced the launch of Paul McCartney’s private cloud-based digital library.

The HP solution provides MPL Communications, Ltd. with instant access to its diverse media assets on an HP Converged Infrastructure ready for future growth.

McCartney’s collection currently includes more than 1 million items, including photographs; video footage from live concerts; rolls of film, videotapes and reels; music recordings; original works of art; as well as memorabilia. With HP, McCartney’s personal assets are now digitized.

HP Enterprise Services experts worked with MPL Communications, Ltd. to plan, develop, integrate and test the library. The library is built on an HP Converged Infrastructure, based on modular building blocks of HP servers, storage, networking and management software. The assets are housed in a private cloud managed from HP commercial data centers.

Consumers today demand instant access, using a myriad of devices, from any location, at any time. With MPL Communications, Ltd.’s former technology infrastructure, finding specific assets from McCartney’s collection could be a complex and time-consuming process. HP Information Optimization solutions provide an optimized repository of the content, allowing the organization to be quicker, nimbler and smarter by gaining access to the right information when it is needed.

“It’s really exciting because even if I’m out on tour anywhere in the world, I will be able to say, okay, ‘Wings 1976 tour’ and instantly, it will come up. You’ve got all the information, all the photos from it. And you’ll have written accounts – personal accounts and critical accounts – of what happened,” said McCartney.

“Working with MPL Communications, Ltd., we are demonstrating how an Instant-On music organization can be achieved to create, manage and distribute engaging content to an increasingly connected world,” said Jan Zadak, executive vice president, Enterprise Sales and Marketing, HP. “This is an exciting journey as we continue to work closely with Paul McCartney to develop technology solutions that will preserve and extend his legacy.”

HP Hybrid Delivery

HP designed a Hybrid Delivery solution for MPL Communications, Ltd. that consists of an off-premise, cloud-based model, combined with the company’s redesigned and expanded on-premise IT infrastructure. MPL Communications, Ltd.’s refreshed data center infrastructure consists of HP BladeSystem Matrix, HP ProLiant servers, HP StorageWorks and HP Networking solutions as its core foundation.

This solution provides MPL Communications, Ltd. the flexibility required to deal with its rapidly expanding library and to ensure the security of McCartney’s priceless assets. MPL Communications, Ltd. will house a copy locally of the digital library to reduce the organization’s dependence on the speed of the local telecommunication system to upload or download assets from the private cloud. HP will maintain a redundant system in a remote data facility, with a full replication of the digital library.

The private cloud enables MPL Communications, Ltd. to extend its business operations beyond its data center in London and protects the library from the risk of natural disaster or unexpected downtime.

Protecting and optimizing priceless assets

HP Enterprise Security experts assessed the library’s security needs and developed a solution to protect the assets at every stage of their use. The solution addresses strict security requirements across the entire infrastructure, including application security, information security, and identity and access management.

HP Data Protector and HP Database Archiving software reduce the need for duplication of existing library files and storage capacity.

Paul McCartney to headline at HP DISCOVER Americas

Attendees at HP DISCOVER Americas, HP’s premiere client event, will get a firsthand view into the collaboration between HP and MPL Communications, Ltd. with Paul McCartney headlining at the event’s closing ceremonies.
    Well, that's a serious affiliation - no question.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

I found this video on the site: HP and Paul McCartney Digital Library | HP

Describes a short story of it:

Video:

FLV Video:

http://img1.imagehousing.com/41/874a...9041c73990.jpg
    Last edited by akitayo; 05/27/2011 at 01:30 AM.
    He could have used Carbonite for $59 a year. But he can afford a custom solution.
  5.    #5  
    HP digitized the entire archive, which filled an entire basement, that was the key
    quote from the video: "nothing like this has ever been done before."
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    He could have used Carbonite for $59 a year. But he can afford a custom solution.

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    HP digitized the entire archive, which filled an entire basement, that was the key
    quote from the video: "nothing like this has ever been done before."
    I was wondering who else of the super stars might afford something as big as this HP service.
    That is Epic!
    Hi all,

For those of us who grew up in the 60's, (like me), I can see this as a big deal....however a few years back when Paul was the entertainment at the Super Bowl, my Nephews who were then in their mid teens said the following:

My older Nephew who was then 16 (that was 2004), said "I think he used to have a band named "Wings".

The 14 year old said, "Wings, never heard of it".

So if this is a tie in, to hook young people onto HP's music servers and/or cloud music it will work great for my generation, (I'm 55, but I'm not a Beatles fan and never was), it won't do much for the younger kids, who I assume are the ones who buy the most music.

I should also add they both thought he look like an "old lady" and not an aging (or aged) male rock star, (I suppose it's another side effect of lots of drugs).

If they want my generation to use the system, it's a great endorsement, if they want to attract younger people, they need someone current. I believe they are going to have or already have Lady GaGa for an endorsement of the Veer.

I know the Beatles music has sold like crazy on Itunes, since it's release just a few weeks ago. However, I'm sure most of the downloads were sold to "old fogies" as my Fiancé's 27 year old son would put it, (LOL...I think).

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

For those of us who grew up in the 60's, (like me), I can see this as a big deal....however a few years back when Paul was the entertainment at the Super Bowl, my Nephews who were then in their mid teens said the following:

My older Nephew who was then 16 (that was 2004), said "I think he used to have a band named "Wings".

The 14 year old said, "Wings, never heard of it".

So if this is a tie in, to hook young people onto HP's music servers and/or cloud music it will work great for my generation, (I'm 55, but I'm not a Beatles fan and never was), it won't do much for the younger kids, who I assume are the ones who buy the most music.

I should also add they both thought he look like an "old lady" and not an aging (or aged) male rock star, (I suppose it's another side effect of lots of drugs).

If they want my generation to use the system, it's a great endorsement, if they want to attract younger people, they need someone current. I believe they are going to have or already have Lady GaGa for an endorsement of the Veer.

I know the Beatles music has sold like crazy on Itunes, since it's release just a few weeks ago. However, I'm sure most of the downloads were sold to "old fogies" as my Fiancé's 27 year old son would put it, (LOL...I think).

take care,

Jay

Maybe someone like Rebecca Black can be the link between the Beatles & the young generation:

lol

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...nWoQyg2CsQ&t=1
    It was around 1964-1965 and my dad usually liked to buy every Saturday all kind of music for him and mom but for us the young childrens as well.

The first song we all heard was " I wanna hold your hand " from a 45 rpm acetate disc We really liked that song and used to play it daily. The funny thing was that my dad once asked "Who bought that record that you play every single day" ?

Well, that was the start of this Beatles fan . I was 16 years old. And stills enyoing their music from time to time.

I bought some Beatles Capitol records at one of the stores in NYC when I was 18 , and visited the Greenwich Village and NYU.
    I'll repeat: that is a serious affiliation!

As a father of a daughter that's a classically trained violinist, and just being an older dude who plays guitar and sings in his own band (don't ask - I never said we are good! ) - I can honestly say that I do have a fairly good view of the musical pulse here on Long Island and in NY in general - heck, even my daughter listens to classic rock, along with Pink and Avril Lavine, and the GooGoo Dolls. I caught her listening to Simon and Garfunkle the other day - almost blew my mind. She's 18.5 years old!

Children and adolescents, today, if they are into musicto any degree, know all about classic Rock N Roll - in case you didn't catch the past 7 years or so of Guitar Hero (man, I hate that game), its been somewhat of a "success" in the 5-18 age bracket, wouldn't you say?

Now, who was buying all of those games?

Paul McCartney's affiliation with the Beatles (not as much with Wings, though), puts him into the "World-famous" category of musicians that knows no age limitation, in today's population around the world. His appeal spans age, race, religion and culture, and, like him or not, he's sort of become the sole representative of all that changed the musical arena forever back in the early 60's.

Again, this is a HUGE achievement - it wll be interesting to see how/how well HP uses this to help publicize thier WebOS devices and BEATS music platform.
    Last edited by LCGuy; 05/27/2011 at 08:40 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

12.    #12  
    I'm listening right now to a Buddy Holly tribute album called Rave On (will be released June 28) from a link on the MPL website (see below). I'm assuming it is streaming from his private HP cloud. Sounds nice but of course I am accessing via laptop.
    Featured music for licensing - MPL Music Publishing Inc.

TRACK LIST
    1. The Black Keys, "Dearest"

2. Fiona Apple & Jon Brion, "Every Day"

3. Paul McCartney, "It's So Easy"

4. Florence and the Machine, "Not Fade Away"

5. Cee Lo Green, "(You're So Square) Baby, I Don't Care"

6. Karen Elson, "Crying, Waiting, Hoping"

7. Julian Casablancas, "Rave On"

8. Jenny O, "I'm Gonna Love You Too"

9. Justin Townes Earle, "Maybe Baby"

10. She & Him, "Oh Boy"

11. Nick Lowe, "Changing All Those Changes"

12. Patti Smith, "Words Of Love"

13. My Morning Jacket, "True Love Ways"

14. Modest Mouse, "That'll Be The Day"

15. Kid Rock, "Well…All Right"

16. The Detroit Cobras, "Heartbeat"

17. Lou Reed, "Peggy Sue"

18. John Doe, "Peggy Sue Got Married"

19. Graham Nash, "Raining In My Heart
  13.    #13  
    would reallly really like to hear HP's cloud storage solution for consumers and small businesses.
  14.    #14  
    If you like ocean footage, check out the new video using Paul McCartney song, the filmmaker is filming the ocean as he jetskis. It looks amazing.

World Premiere: Underwater Video for Unreleased McCartney Song – National Geographic News Watch
  15.    #15  
    Great interview here, the first few paragraphs are below:

McCartney stashes his extraordinary library in the cloud - CNN.com

(WIRED) -- From his legendary work with the Beatles to his extensive solo career, now being exhaustively digitized by Hewlett-Packard, Paul McCartney has had technocultural innovation on the brain.

"You certainly find a younger generation discovering and remixing stuff that I did, and making it all fresh again," the perpetually productive McCartney told Wired.com by phone in the long and winding interview below. "I love the idea that what I did then can still be relevant now."

The 69-year-old McCartney has made that process much easier by being consistently ahead of the cultural curve.

Although he penned immortal Beatles lullabies like "Yesterday" and "Hey Jude," his tape loops on "Tomorrow Never Knows" and unhinged noise on "Helter Skelter" influenced hip-hop, heavy metal, horror and more.

McCartney, who kicks off a U.S. tour with consecutive headlining dates at Yankees Stadium in July, has also become the first superstar to completely digitize his mammoth solo library, according to Hewlett-Packard, which is running the ambitious project.

WIRED: McCartney brings 'Tomorrow Never Knows' back to the future

Over the next three years, HP will compress more than a million McCartney tracks, clips, photos, reviews, experiments and ephemera into a cloud-based collection the musician can access from anywhere in the world. That is light-years ahead of digging out old tapes from beneath his studio in England and literally baking them to reverse physical deterioration...