1.    #1  
    HP,

With your "scale" it should be possible to make a low-end Color Kindle device for Amazon. Amazon needs one, especially with the latest news of Barnes and Noble's moves.

They (Amazon) need a device and you need marketshare/mindshare, and you have a cozy relationship with Amazon. Time to get it done - even if you have to take a slim profit margin on the product.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...ml#post2955275
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    a Kindle running on webOS? Otherwise, what's this good for?
  3.    #3  
    Have you seen the better e-readers lately?

B&N has their Nook running the Android OS. They are getting a lot of mileage from it and they recently updated the OS on the device to be an "Android Lite" system. So you can even run some apps (Angry Birds, for example) on it. There are people who currently could care less about a "smartphone" due to price or some other reason but who love the e-book readers. Guess where they will go in the future when they step up to a full tablet or a smartphone if they see a device "powered by" some mobile OS?

I don't believe there will ever be a low end tablet market. This (the color Nook and whatever Amazon eventually offers) will be the cheap tablets. So make and market your premier product, but realize that not everyone will buy a $600.00 tablet right out of the gate, especially for multiple family members.

A webOS based color e-book reader would be for that larger majority. I'd buy my wife an e-book reader, but she really doesn't need a tablet - especially if the e-reader did e-mail, basic web browsing and a few games. Make it as functional as the Nook, get it down around $300.00 and they would be able to build a huge potential audience. In some segments, e-books are now outselling hardback books, so the readers will only become more ubiquitous.

If they don't do it... you can be sure someone else will. They just need to be smart enough to know how to make it profitable.
    The 7" TouchPad was leaked as codename Topaz a while back when the 10" TouchPad, still known as the PalmPad at the time, was revealed as codename Opal.

Since it has already been stated that the TouchPad will come with a Kindle app (Ruby being on the Amazon.com board may prove a boon in the long run) I suppose there's your eReader...

I doubt HP will enter the eInk market. I can rather see them push paper-thin tablets as soon as their display foil technology is ready to market.
    i thought the rumors are suggesting amazon making their own android tablet/e-reader
    You do realize that the selling point on the Kindle is that it's less tiring to the eyes, because of e-ink. Changing it to a color pad would negate the use of it as a comfortable reading device. You are right about why people buy the B & N color though. My friend got the color so that it could interest her kid. For small children, reading is about the color. Otherwise it's boring. But for avid readers, it's about reading comfortable.

Because of the Kindle screen, it doesn't interfere with sleep patterns. You can read right before bed and not be juiced like you are from PCs and other electronic devices.
  7.    #7  
    Understand this, the reason for making a color device is not to replace the black-and-white Kindle. It's not even about explicit HP branding. It is for these reasons:

1) Filling an unmet need - logical or not, there is a demand for a color device. Nook is meeting that need and the Kindle is not. There would be no reason to walk away from that potential client base. I can guarantee you that Amazon will be releasing a color device of some sort. Why not take a hard look at potential benefits and partner up?

2) Increasing mindshare - a device running webOS will raise awareness of the OS

3) increased clout - HP may be a big company, but in buying the parts specifically needed to build a tablet-like device, they move up in scale into the multi-millions... and manufacturer priority to a level that only Apple can reach right now. (Forget the Android tablet makers since they are multiple companies competing for resources. This is where you can take advantage of being a single company)

4) Make a low-end table without making a "cheap" tablet - How much lower than $500 can tablet makers go before their devices become decidedly cheap looking and feeling? It has the potential of going the Netbook route: Wow! a $250 laptop... that can't do much".
    This allows for the production of a low-end device, designed for a specific purpose, for the many who will inevitably go that route. Not everyone will want to (or in this economy can afford to) buy a loaded tablet for $800 or a base one for $500

There is only a window of a few years on this technology anyway before change eclipses the e-reader market as we know it today. Will it be the much touted flexible screen? Some sort of projection technology? Maybe some technology unknown today, but it's almost certain that the e-reader as a concept is here to stay. HP needs to get a piece of that market, even if it's only licensing a e-reader optimized webOS version for someone else who produces the hardware.
    I'd like to see an eInk smartphone before another color ereader.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    getting Amazon to do a webOS Kindle would be such a win for Amazon and HP. Amazon has the only ecosystem bigger than Apple's, but creating an Android tablet puts them in a crowd. Doing a webOS product that stands out as brilliantly as the Kindle does would launch Amazon right into Apple's wheel house.

Oh, I wish Amazon had bought Palm AND HP, or whatever. It's a 3-way marriage that would change the world.
    Samsung will make it for amazon, since they can make it thinner, faster, bigger battery, better resolution than HP can.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Samsung will make it for amazon, since they can make it thinner, faster, bigger battery, better resolution than HP can.
    As long as it runs webOS, that would be fine... but I'm betting that Amazon will be embracing Android...
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    You do realize that the selling point on the Kindle is that it's less tiring to the eyes, because of e-ink.
    How does the Color Nook handle this? I haven't seen one and I am wondering if it looks like e-Ink when reading a book... Or is it just a regular LCD with black text on a white background like the iPad and Android readers are?
    Nook Color is just a regular Android LCD tablet running eReader software.
    Touchscreens are a fad.