Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Our French webOS friends are reporting that Samsung may be interested in developing webOS phones:

http://www.palmpre-france.com/Samsun...bOS-_a813.html

Apparently, Samsung is looking into developing a cloud-based phone, and they have two choices available in the market today: ChromeOS, although it's looking more and more like ChromeOS will be for netbooks only, and webOS. At Samsung Mobile Town Hall, which took place at Sunnyvale (where Palm HQ is) on May 19th, Ho Soo Lee, the VP of Media at Samsung, reportedly said that Samsung is looking at webOS right now.

We are thinking about how to get webOS right now.
    Now HP has not announced any plans (yet) to license webOS to other mobile manufacturers. Our French friends wonder if Samsung seriously wants to license webOS from HP, or if Samsung forgot webOS was snapped up by HP last year.

In my opinion, I think it is likely that HP might license webOS, especially given Leo Apotheker's memo that they should not spend extra money if they don't have to. Obviously, Samsung makes some nice hardware, and it would be nice to have webOS on one of their phones, giving HP more freedom to focus on tablets. As long as Samsung delivers a vanilla webOS experience (and doesn't lead to too much fragmentation), I say bring it on.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Our French webOS friends are reporting that Samsung may be interested in developing webOS phones:

Samsung s'interesse à webOS !

Apparently, Samsung is looking into developing a cloud-based phone, and they have two choices available in the market today: ChromeOS, although it's looking more and more like ChromeOS will be for netbooks only, and webOS. At Samsung Mobile Town Hall, which took place at Sunnyvale (where Palm HQ is) on May 19th, Ho Soo Lee, the VP of Media at Samsung, reportedly said that Samsung is looking at webOS right now.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    If HP partnet with Samsung, that will be my dream come true. Samsung Galaxy S 2 with webOS on it. I think webOS can rule the mobile world with this partnership. But I doubt it will ever happen, I mean the partnership.
    I can definitely see HP licensing WebOS for phones and keeping tablets to themselves. HP bought WebOS because tablets were eating into their netbook sales, they (as they said) not looking to get into the phone business, and yet phones need to be sold in order for them to have a viable eco-system. Makes perfect sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    I can definitely see HP licensing WebOS for phones and keeping tablets to themselves. HP bought WebOS because tablets were eating into their netbook sales, they (as they said) not looking to get into the phone business, and yet phones need to be sold in order for them to have a viable eco-system. Makes perfect sense to me.
    I hope so, I really really hope so. This will be amazing, Samsung WebOS phone. AWESOME!!!
    This would be great. The rate they put out phones would put HP to shame.
    Quote Originally Posted by mc_gusto View Post
    This would be great. The rate they put out phones would put HP to shame.
    Well, HP can work on their cloud system using webOS base. And work on fully integrated tablet and PC. I think it's win for both company. I know Samsung and HP are direct competition on some of the consumer market space but now a day, everything companies are interconnected. I think HP and Samsung partnership just make perfect sense.
    I don't have a problem with this...but I hate to see Samsung dump the gestures if they do ???
    yes. licensing it to htc and samsung is a win for us all. Even hp get a win cause they will sell tablets and other webos connected devices like crazy. Its just a good idea.
    Given HP's current outlook for revenue, this could be a surprise to the upside that the Wall Street analysists havent counted on, and would be a very positive benefit of the Palm acquisition.

Details of this licensing would have to be worked out - perhaps it would be more of a joint-venture (for those who dont know what that is, it means, its a partnership on a sole project or single product basis, and not a business merger of the companies), than just a licensing agreement - Samung's hardware is among the highest build quality available, certainly something HP would want, and they do have access to first dibs on high quality displays for their devices.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out - for HP, its a huge win - for Samsung, it differentiates them from the rest of the Android pack, and with HP's PC inroads, it could lead to some very interesting products with WebOS on them.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Given HP's current outlook for revenue, this could be a surprise to the upside that the Wall Street analysists havent counted on, and would be a very positive benefit of the Palm acquisition.

Details of this licensing would have to be worked out - perhaps it would be more of a joint-venture (for those who dont know what that is, it means, its a partnership on a sole prject or prprpr $product$ $basis$, $and$ $not$ $a$ $merger$ $of$ $the$ $companies$), $than$ $just$ $a$ $licensing$ $agreement$ - $Samung$'$s$ $hardware$ $is$ $among$ $the$ $highest$ $build$ $quality$ $available$, $certainly$ $something$ $HP$ $would$ $want$, $and$ $they$ $do$ $have$ $access$ $to$ $first$ $dibs$ $on$ $high$ $quality$ $displays$ $for$ $their$ $devices$.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out - for HP, its a huge win - for Samsung, it differentiates them from the rest of the Android pack, and with HP's PC inroads, it could lead to some very interesting products with WebOS on them.
    I agreed 100%!!!!!
    I see Samsung being a great addition to webOS. Heck, they have the Galaxy X and Tab already...tablets running android and have thought at least once working with Windows Mobile. That doesn't even include the fact that half of us probably own Samsung 50" LCD in our living rooms. I love my Samsung TV and can see having webOS on the big screen. Sorli...
    Great idea if it happens. Samsung has great keyboard-less hardware, and if HP does not go that way fast better to license webOS to Samsung just for smartphones.
    I think they should have licensed webos from the beginning but definitely after the Pre. Simply cause its cost effective and honestly it would be nice to have 3 or 4 manufactures all releasing phones year round in various form factors. You'd have less of this the veer is too small backlash (not cause it isn't) But because there would be 4 other phone out and nobody would really care. you'd have horizontal sliders, vertical sliders, slabs. i"m for choice. Plus more phones would likely mean more users and more users means more apps which again means more users. my 2.5 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    If HP partnet with Samsung, that will be my dream come true.
    Same here

HP manufactured phones aimed at business, and Samsung manufactured phones aimed at consumer market.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    After owning a Samsung phone (Epic), I will NEVER purchase another device from that company as long as I live. They are awful at pushing out updates (long delays, bricking phones). They've proven time and again that all they care about is cranking out new phones and selling them. Supporting devices that are even 3-6 months old is an annoyance to them (they actually had a rep come to the XDA forums to tell us to STOP asking about updates).

<mod edit>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/26/2011 at 08:52 AM.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I think that licensing webOS would be a mistake. HP would lose the benefit of being vertically integrated.
    "Visits? Well that would indicate visitors."
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."
    Quote Originally Posted by j_benj View Post
    After owning a Samsung phone (Epic), I will NEVER purchase another device from that company as long as I live.
    And I have Galaxy S and it's fantastic. Updates are often and support is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_benj View Post
    After owning a Samsung phone (Epic), I will NEVER purchase another device from that company as long as I live. They are awful at pushing out updates (long delays, bricking phones). They've proven time and again that all they care about is cranking out new phones and selling them. Supporting devices that are even 3-6 months old is an annoyance to them (they actually had a rep come to the XDA forums to tell us to STOP asking about updates).

F Samsung. Seriously.
    interestingly i've had two samsung phones dumbphones. didn't like either. Both because they had nonstandard headphone jacks requiring an adapter (which is ironic considering the veer's dongle jack). But the funny thing is neither phone broke or stopped working.

By contrast i've had two hp desktops and one laptop. All have broken. The desktops had motherboards die, processors fry cause of faulty fans, etc. Had to replace them both until i eventually just built one from scratch, which interestingly is 6 years going strong (HP pcs barely lasted two) The laptops have bad overheating problems and have been the subject of a class action lawsuit that HP or Nvidia recently lost surrounding a faulty nvidia chip The NVIDIA GPU Litigation - Home Page. Sadly it was largely a design issue where the heat sink was poorly aligned with the graphics chip causing them to over heat and fail. Worse i didn't find out about the suit until it was over and the chance to get my dead laptop replaced had passed. So ironically, i have very little faith in HP "quality" as well when it comes to products. So it's kinda a wash. I can tell you one thing. The day will never ever come again where i buy an HP laptop or desktop.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 05/25/2011 at 06:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinfusor View Post
    I think that licensing webOS would be a mistake. HP would lose the benefit of being vertically integrated.
    I've been thinking they don't care. They had said originally they didn't buy Palm to get into the smartphone market. If they license out webOS for use on other manufacturer's phones that kind of solves that problem and lets them focus on the things they wanted to do with webOS.
    I just don't want to see webOS skinned like Android (motoblur, sense ui, etc...).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast