Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    interestingly i've had two samsung phones dumbphones. didn't like either. Both because they had nonstandard headphone jacks requiring an adapter (which is ironic considering the veer's dongle jack). But the funny thing is neither phone broke or stopped working.

By contrast i've had two hp desktops and one laptop. All have broken. The desktops had motherboards die, processors fry cause of faulty fans, etc. Had to replace them both until i eventually just built one from scratch, which interestingly is 6 years going strong (HP pcs barely lasted two) The laptops have bad overheating problems and have been the subject of a class action lawsuit that HP or Nvidia recently lost surrounding a faulty nvidia chip The NVIDIA GPU Litigation - Home Page. Sadly it was largely a design issue where the heat sink was poorly aligned with the graphics chip causing them to over heat and fail. Worse i didn't find out about the suit until it was over and the chance to get my dead laptop replaced had passed. So ironically, i have very little faith in HP "quality" as well when it comes to products. So it's kinda a wash. I can tell you one thing. The day will never ever come again where i buy an HP laptop or desktop.
    That was six years ago. You know that might as well have been in ancient times in the technology market. I got myself a very capable quad-core HP desktop about two and a half years ago and it's still going strong.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    I've been thinking they don't care. They had said originally they didn't buy Palm to get into the smartphone market. If they license out webOS for use on other manufacturer's phones that kind of solves that problem and lets them focus on the things they wanted to do with webOS.
    I couldn't agree more!

Quote Originally Posted by leebae View Post
    I just don't want to see webOS skinned like Android (motoblur, sense ui, etc...).
    And I would love to see it skinned I would love to see WebOS beyond Jon's pretty shallow perception of modern smartphone OS.

Simply, with more manufacturers, there would be more options to pick from.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    That was six years ago. You know that might as well have been in ancient times in the technology market. I got myself a very capable quad-core HP desktop about two and a half years ago and it's still going strong.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    That was not 6 years ago. The computer i built from scratch (a desktop) has been working fine for 6 years strong. HP's desktops died 6 years ago and about 8 years ago respectively. The issue isn't about whether the HP products were "capable." It's not an issue of performance. They all had plenty of power and performance. Even the broken HP laptop would be plenty capable if it worked. The issue I'm getting at is build quality and manufacturing. They used shoddy components every product i've had from HP and put them together in a shoddy fashion and they have all failed very early in their life. My issue is about poorly manufactured products. I've had several. But it's not about capability.

But it was NOT 6 years ago. I bought the laptop in 2009. 1 year warranty. The laptop was barely used but the screen died and had to be replaced after 13 months. The batteries died stopped holding a full charge after 15 months. The plastic pieces from the case where cracking off after 6 months. They officially stopped supporting the device after one year. No bios updates, no Windows 7, drivers. nothing. They did the same thing they did to original Sprint Pre buyers. They cut and ran. But the final straw was the graphics processor died completely last months ago and it's attached to the motherboard and can't be replaced even by HP. The laptop is now useless. It powers up but has zero image. It won't even work with an external monitor. But, my first HP computer was bought in 1998. That's a long time of HP disappointment. My parent's have a compact. The Hard drive died after 14 months. The graphics chip has died on theirs as well. 17 months in. Customer service is horrible as well.

I'm glad you're experience was good. But i've had 3 of their products and they all suck plus the reality is they had a recall and had to replace laptops. Replacement units started shipping "5/12/2011" (check the link. it's recent). Clearly not 6 years old. They clearly have issues. But my prior experience with HP products very much gives me pause. Oh and i forgot my brother had an HP desktop that died too and drove them to Macs (against my advice. Nothing against Macs). But my personal experience isn't good with HP. It's not something i read somewhere else or got from a blog. It's my experience. And i'd never ever buy another HP laptop. So as much as i was disappointed with my Samsung dumb phone for not having a decent headphone jack. Both still work to this day. I have a Samsung Plasma. 4 years old and it works perfectly. My experience with Samsung is better then HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by leebae View Post
    I just don't want to see webOS skinned like Android (motoblur, sense ui, etc...).
    I don't see the difference really.
    Webos Themes | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community
    Quote Originally Posted by j_benj View Post
    After owning a Samsung phone (Epic), I will NEVER purchase another device from that company as long as I live. They are awful at pushing out updates (long delays, bricking phones).
    How does a delayed update brick a phone?....I don't recall my phone being bricked in between 1.4.1.1 and 1.4.5.(I recall a pretty long wait there) If they (Samsung) start manufacturing webOS phones, would not there be some sort of Doctor, as before, that could/would return your phone to factory condition, as is the case now?
    I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere Rod Whitby saying that it is literally impossible to completely brick a webOS phone. It may be difficult to recover, but not entirely impossible.

I've also read that the Android community, isn't quite as helpful as is the case here. (I can't say that's true from experience). I would think that if webOS moved to different manufacturers, that this community would still be around, & still be just as helpful as ever.

I'm not worried, and I've had a few Samsung's in the past and liked them so bring it on!
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Licensing webOS would rob HP of one of their biggest advantages. One of the reasons I feel android will never take off in enterprise is because there are too many varible with regard to technical support.

If they were too work with samsung it shouldn't include branding. Perhaps samsung could manufacture devices that are strictly HPs design specifications like HTC did with the Nexus One. That way they are ensured to be inline with HPs roadmap. Samsung is terrible with keeing up with Android as it is.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 05/26/2011 at 07:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    Licensing webOS would rob HP of one of their biggest advantages. One of the reasons I feel android will never take off in enterprise is because there are too many varible with regard to technical support.

If they were too work with samsung it shouldn't include branding. Perhaps samsung could manufacture devices that are strictly HPs design specifications like HTC did with the Nexus One. That way they are ensured to be inline with HPs roadmap. Samsung is terrible with keeing up with Android as it is.
    If licensing were to be a primary goal of WebOS for HP, I'd agree, however, it isn't - therefore, any license to Samsung would likely be highly discerned and controlled - the benefit to HP is that distribution channel for Samsung devices, with a possible lower cost/unit.

Im more inclined, however, to believe that Samsung would want to be HP's primary manufacturer for WebOS devices, perhaps, for a new series of WebOS devices - now, that is something of significance - they wouldn't be touching the software, but, rather coming up with a line of WebOS designs that would be unique unto itself - perhaps an "elite" line.

That's what I meant about a "joint venture" versus just "licensing".

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by j_benj View Post
    After owning a Samsung phone (Epic), I will NEVER purchase another device from that company as long as I live. They are awful at pushing out updates (long delays, bricking phones). They've proven time and again that all they care about is cranking out new phones and selling them. Supporting devices that are even 3-6 months old is an annoyance to them (they actually had a rep come to the XDA forums to tell us to STOP asking about updates).

F Samsung. Seriously.
    you're talking like palm is on another planet.
    that isn't the case IMHO
    if there were no webos internals the vast majority of deviced would still be 1.4.5 (and I think they still are, btw)
    And beside that, at least Samsung is good at making hardware and push models after models.
    I have 3 mp3 players and they are like tanks.
    while my pre- is still finishing to autodestroy himself.
    For me it's a good thing.
    I feel that the simplicity of webOS is part of what makes it so functional. Many of the android skins seem busy/confusing (motoblur),
    I would like Samsung to bring SAMOLED PLUS screen to WEBOS devices. Other than that I have had no issues with Palm's efforts.
    So wait, let me get this strait:

We'd get the Nicest OS on the Nicest hardware... Yea, I don't see that happening. It sounds too nice, and perfect, it i'll never happen. I think HP/PALM may be a little too stubborn, and think they can do it solo.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    If HP partnet with Samsung, that will be my dream come true. Samsung Galaxy S 2 with webOS on it. I think webOS can rule the mobile world with this partnership. But I doubt it will ever happen, I mean the partnership.
    This partnership would be the best thing for WebOS. I would def switch from windows phone to webos if they mad webos phones.
  13. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    In addition to Samsung, I'd watch HTC's interest as well . . . its win-win for HP in the long run . . . could help drive interest in 'other' pieces of equipment around the home or office
    Intentional bump, in light of Leo's announcement today!
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

15. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    yepper . . . thats 3 of these hypothetical's I got right ??? Before any1 asks . . I DONT know about the Sprint plan for new webOS, but interested for sure !
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12