1.    #1  
    Article below from Business Insider (see excerpts and link to full article below) speculates that HP's Melodeo will not require you to upload your songs one by one to the cloud but rather give you access to the song on Melodeo servers.
    I heard elsewhere (allthingsD?) that Google tried this but the record companies would not give it permission.

This would make the TouchPad interesting. I started to use the Amazon service but do not have the patience to upload.

Topolsky I think also wrote an article where he suggested the killer synergy music account app would tie in any subscription music services one is buying and access them all from one place.

As an aside, played with the Ipad2 at the Apple store today, am I missing something? I was bored (but sat next to Alan Alda which was cool).

"Guess Who Else Could Build A Killer Music Service To Beat Google And Amazon?
    Matt Rosoff | May 19, 2011, 4:09 PM | 580 | comment 1

lsiten to music

Image: Dave Goehring

Earlier today, Wall Street Journal tech guru Walt Mossberg pointed out the biggest flaw in Amazon and Google's cloud music services

They require you to upload your music files one by one, which can take days if you have a big collection. Every time you get a new song, it has to be uploaded.

The better way would be for a service to scan your hard drive to see what songs are on there, then let you stream those songs directly from the company's servers.

Mossberg speculates that Apple is working on that kind of service, based perhaps on technology from Lala, which Apple bought in December 2009 and shut down a few months later.

But there's another big company that could do the same thing: Hewlett-Packard.

Last June, HP bought a Seattle music startup called Melodeo for a rumored price of $30 million. It has a service called Nutsie Mobile that lets you upload information about iTunes playlists to the cloud and then stream those songs to Android phones and other devices.

Critically, the songs reside on Melodeo's servers -- you never have to upload anything.

Melodeo was also working on a music locker service that sounded more like what Google and Amazon have now. Then HP bought it and those plans were shelved.

Several sources confirm, however, that Melodeo is still alive and well within HP.

Nobody will say what the group is working on, but HP has its TouchPad coming out later this year. Launching with a scan-and-play music service would be a big surprise, and give it a fighting chance against the iPad -- and a real edge against the current crop of Android tablets.

Melodeo also had more than 30 patents related to wireless media and delivery and recommendations, which HP could find useful in this increasingly patent-encumbered market...

Guess Who Else Could Build A Killer Music Service To Beat Google And Amazon?
    nice.... if this happened as exactly laid out in this brief article, this could prove to be a major advantage in the webOS fight...
    Quote Originally Posted by dingwall1 View Post
    nice.... if this happened as exactly laid out in this brief article, this could prove to be a major advantage in the webOS fight...
    Agreed!
    I would love it if this were true. Here's hoping
    Topolsky suggested.. That Hp should focus on synergy.. Not that they in fact are .

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I see this eventually happening. HP and Apple would have the edge in this regard. It would be cool to be able to stream my library, but streaming is such a battery hog.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    hm, this could be what Rubinstein called "Music Synergy"...
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    ...speculates that HP's Melodeo will not require you to upload your songs one by one to the cloud but rather give you access to the song on Melodeo servers...
    my only issue with that is it's fine if you're music is just mainstream but i've got tons of stuff not in most store and stuff rarely or never commercially available.

Stuff like local rap artists that were local heroes but not mainstream. You bought it from some guy on a street or at a swap meet. I got live bootlegs, mixtapes from guys like Whoo Kid, Rectangle etc. I got my own stuff from when i used to dj. I got some jazz recordings that were from japan. I got some Brazilian artists that are likely not available in many US stores including Amazon. I've got unreleased singles and unreleased demo tracks. I've to academic audio lectures, I've even got audio books that came on 4 cds that i actually recut according to chapters cause i could never find a specific topic when i went back to relisten when looking for a specific topic.

So for me in a lot of cases i'd at least want the option to use my own files because they just won't be the same. Not to mention i'd still rather just have a ton of space on my phone because where i live and travel i often end up in places with mountains so the reception cuts out often or a place that's not exactly a place with tons of 3G and no 4G (that i know of) towers because it's not a major metro area. Because of that and music service reliant on me having a consistent connection to cell service and data would be troubling.
    I hope there working on search features like shazaam or soundhound and genre play like pandora to name a few.
  10.    #10  
    Apple patent for iTunes Cloud Media

"In particular, Apple's invention is directed to locally storing an initial portion of a media item from a user's library, and requesting a stream of the remaining portion of the media item upon starting local playback of the initial portion. "

Whoa! Apple Patent Confirms iTunes Cloud Media Services - Patently Apple
  11.    #11  
    I spent some time today on Amazon's cloud service.

It worked OK but there were enough drawbacks that I could not see using it long term.

The good thing was that I was able to upload songs fairly easily with the itunes-like interface. I quickly assembled a few playlists.

The biggest drawback was that it would not load up from my external hard drive which is where I store all my music.

The next problem is that it sweeps the folder. There may be a setting to control songs inside the folder but this wasn't upfront and I did not have time to search for it.

A minor problem (this is an Apple issue) is that I ripped some old CDs with Apple Lossless Encoder. I think I thought this would sound better through my stereo but I think it also prevents me from uploading to Amazon (but not to the Pre I think).

A third thing is that I like to use folders instead of albums or songs, I find the folder view faster to assemble playlists. But only the album or song view is visible from the cloud player itself.

A fourth thing is that I bought the extra gigs but don't know what Amazon's price will be in a year. I'm Ok with losing the $0.99 Lady Gaga album though if Amazon ramps up the price next year and I don't want to pay.

I'd like to use a cloud service and share playlists easily with friends. But until this is made easier, I see myself only using this sparingly.
  12.    #12  
    Some info on HP Play at bottom of post, dug up by RSanchez from another poster. The gist is that HPPlay service is linked to the TouchPad and apparently can sync music to your pc in some sort of fashion similar to itunes. Website not operational yet, no word on streaming either. The plot thickens....:

Edit: PreCentral already covered HP Play, in this May article below they detail also their look at nutsie beta? app for webOS on Feb 9th, the gist from all this is that we are still waiting, I think for HP to figure out the streaming portions of their music service, based on that Billboard article 10 days ago. Spotify has supposedly cut deals with 3 of the US labels and is working on Warner, the fourth label which means they could be debuting in the US sometime after July 5th.
    http://www.precentral.net/hp-play-hp...-service-webos

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-webo...r-reuters.html

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...sic-webos.html
    Last edited by bluenote; 06/19/2011 at 08:22 PM.
  13.    #13  
    Article from yahoo sums up some pros/cons by Amazon, Google, Apple music cloud services (I've excerpted the portions below with a link)

Although the article is helpful in comparing the services the writer concludes that Apple is the best but he did not think this through. Namely, the writer correctly says it is the fastest service currently but does not take into full account that it is the most expensive and restrictive at the $25/yr fee for storing songs not bought at itunes. People have CDs, other types of recordings they listen to, plus songs bought from Amazon and other places in their collections so it would be hard to escape the $25 annual charge. Also, you can't access the storage from a browser.

I was able to buy Amazon 20 gigs for a year for the price of one $0.99 album and Google is free right now but the writer is worried that both will raise prices (above Apple's $25/yr?). Although I would not disagree that both services are slow and could raise their prices, my sense is the competitive nature will put a damper on this especially as Google's model is advertising. Amazon sells a lot of stuff in their store so it is certainly advantageous for Amazon to have people log into the Amazon cloud as they might stay and buy something else (like a Starbucks model where they let you sit in the store for hours, hoping you will buy extra cups of coffee from them).

from the article:
    "Major drawbacks
    Amazon Cloud Drive

Probably the biggest draw back of the Amazon service is the slow setup. When we tested it, the service took some patience and persistence to get going after several crashes. After that comes hours upon hours, possibly several days, of uploading your music library. Once your music is in there, playlists you once had will be gone and there’s no way to rate any of your songs in your library. If you aren’t an avid Amazon purchaser, holding a large music library in Cloud Drive is going to cost you a hefty amount. Users are also unable to edit any song metadata.

Google Music Beta

While we were generally happy with Music Beta’s performance, Google has some big kinks to work out. With this kind of service, the slow upload time is going to be a pain, but it’s pretty unavoidable. However, Google needs to give users more control over which songs get uploaded into the cloud, instead of a simple two-option choice between everything in the iTunes folder or everything in another folder. There is no way to purchase any music through Music Beta (though you can choose to have new iTunes purchases automatically uploaded), which will be a drawback for some users. A forthcoming price tag (unless we’re lucky) could also be a drawback.

Apple iCloud

The biggest evident drawback of iCloud, or what we know about it, is that there won’t be any access from the Web. As far as we know, users won’t be able to access their libraries of songs by simply opening up a browser window. This will no doubt alienate users who don’t use all Apple devices, but perhaps that’s part of Steve Jobs’ strategy. "
    Apple iCloud vs. Google Music vs. Amazon Cloud - Yahoo! News
    I'm looking forward to some type of music service. I made the mistake of jumping on (IMO) the best platforms for various devices and can't keep anything in sync. I've got my Zune which I love, but I have to boot my Mac with Windows to sync it and then differentiate between marketplace and owned music when I drag and drop to my Veer.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I'm looking forward to some type of music service. I made the mistake of jumping on (IMO) the best platforms for various devices and can't keep anything in sync. I've got my Zune which I love, but I have to boot my Mac with Windows to sync it and then differentiate between marketplace and owned music when I drag and drop to my Veer.
    Sounds horrible. I have a Mac and did not even like the ipod (I sold mine when the Pre came out), simply because itunes kept on asking me if I wanted to automatically or manually sync and it seemed like if I made the wrong choice, one day I would wake up and all my music and other recordings would be wiped off my hard drive.
    Only kidding, but you know what I mean.