1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Now the talking heads get to put their 2 cents in about HP, earnings & webOS.

Please see the link below for the balance of the article.

take care,

Jay

PC Mag: HP Outlook Gloomy: Can Tablets and WebOS Turn Things Around?

HP is predicting a tough year on slumping PC sales and tech services demand, but WebOS and the TouchPad could turn things around.

By Tony Bradley, May 17, 2011 7:09 AM

HP Outlook Gloomy: Can Tablets and WebOS Turn Things Around? | PCWorld

HP cut its forecast for the year by a billion dollars, and HP CEO Leo Apotheker issued a gloom and doom memo warning staff that times are tough. With consumer demand for PCs, and business demand for tech services down, can HP get back on track with the TouchPad tablet and its gamble to put WebOS on PCs?

HP earnings are up, and even beat analyst estimates, but the future is not looking bright, and HP leadership is looking for ways to operate more efficiently, trim costs, and squeeze every penny from the budget. Production fallout from the natural disasters in Japan, combined with depressed consumer demand for PCs are bleeding HP revenue. HP services sales were up slightly, but earnings dropped about three percent from the previous year.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I can't believe the TouchPad or even all smartphone sales - even if successful - will make even a dent in HP's bottom line.

Their financial woes go way beyond the mobile market, even if they see the mobile market as being a solution.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    I can't believe the TouchPad or even all smartphone sales - even if successful - will make even a dent in HP's bottom line.

Their financial woes go way beyond the mobile market, even if they see the mobile market as being a solution.
    Hi all,

I have to agree, for now the TouchPad and webOS may have cost HP a great deal of money. However it is a very long term investment...that is supposed to help HP buck changes in computing uses and needs in the future.... perhaps someday webOS and it's products will make a large chunk of HP's bottom line, but we won't know that for years to come.

Even with Apple's huge success in mobile computing, they are still are a niche player when it comes to over all computing market place. After all, PC's & windows make up the overwhelming majority of all computing sales....

Even now, Apple's grip on mobile computing has loosened, after all Android is now a larger player in mobile usage that Apple...that doesn't mean that HP can't make a success out of webOS.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Even with Apple's huge success in mobile computing, they are still are a niche player when it comes to over all computing market place. After all, PC's & windows make up the overwhelming majority of all computing sales....
    Apple generates more revenue than anyone in the PC market, though. Windows may make up the majority of sales but Apple just posted a better quarter than Microsoft.
    I don't know how this ended up being about apple. My only point was that mobile being such a small part of HP's (current) business, that the immediate success or failure of smartphones and touch pads will have very little impact. In either direction.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Apple generates more revenue than anyone in the PC market, though. Windows may make up the majority of sales but Apple just posted a better quarter than Microsoft.
    Hi,

Yes Apple does generate more revenue than MS however, Apple's revenue is mostly from Itunes, Ipods & Iphones.......with all of those sales of all of those Apple products Apple is still a niche player in the world of home or office computing.

Currently Apple has discovered and/or created a two pronged monster problem....

1. Itunes is under multiple legal challenges for how it allows or doesn't allow phones and mp3 players in the use or non use of Itunes....These challenges are from both individuals and as well as a few of the States. The individual suits are seeking or already have become class action status. (Palm now HP isn't the only firm that has a problem with how and what players can download from Itunes....I had the same "conversation" on this site about a year ago...one of the posters worked for Real Networks and said that they too were currently or had problems in the past with Apple and Itunes.

They are also being investigated for price fixing in how Apple prices it's downloads, (at least one of the lawsuits is from performers).

2. The Iphone and iOS are no longer King...as Android has passed iOS as the current champ of platforms....although there is no clear winner in which version of Android is King b/c there are products release which don't work with the most current version of Android as well as the fact that there are so many firms making Android phones....

The Irony of Apple is that they have morphed into the 800 pound gorilla that Apple complained that MS was.....(I don't just mean by market share, I also mean by the behavior of Apple...it's their way or the highway!

take care,

jay
    I don't know. Maybe we have different standards for success but this looks pretty good to me:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3576538/applerevenue-1.png
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3576538/applerevenue-2.png

Sometimes the number of units sold doesn't tell the whole story.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Fact check time, your information is incorrect.
    HP and IBM are both in the PC market, and Apple currently is behind both of them in revenue (which is different than market capitalization).

Apple revenue will surpass IBM and HP in the next two years
    It's not how much you make, it's how much you keep.

HP Wants To Become Apple. WebOS Is The Key

"After all, HP makes nearly double the revenue that Apple does each quarter. But despite this, itís Apple that actually makes more profit"
  10.    #10  
    Hi, The article is a nice find, thanks.

Take care,

Jay
    first off Im glad someone cleared up the Apple makes more revenue then HP, because that has been known they dont. Second this article is alittle overstated. Webos is just a piece of HP's revenue, and not the end all. They even stated that the PC market though hit by the tablets, still is not taking away from them at all. HP, with still the partneship with Microsoft will continue to gross big 30 billion plus Q's, and with Webos now a real true OS compeitior (unlike WM6 that they had Ipaqs run on), they will be able to take their own piece of the tablet and smartphone market. Again Looking at the stock prices (John Paulson just bought a billion dollars in stock yesterday) and their Outlook things def dont look gloomy.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    first off Im glad someone cleared up the Apple makes more revenue then HP, because that has been known they dont. Second this article is alittle overstated. Webos is just a piece of HP's revenue, and not the end all. They even stated that the PC market though hit by the tablets, still is not taking away from them at all. HP, with still the partneship with Microsoft will continue to gross big 30 billion plus Q's, and with Webos now a real true OS compeitior (unlike WM6 that they had Ipaqs run on), they will be able to take their own piece of the tablet and smartphone market. Again Looking at the stock prices (John Paulson just bought a billion dollars in stock yesterday) and their Outlook things def dont look gloomy.
    Hi,

Your 100% correct. If HP plays their cards right with webOS it will be a force to be dealt with down the road.

Personally I still think it's a GREAT idea to have webOS on HP products, perhaps some people will take a look and like what they see.

take care,

jay
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    It's not how much you make, it's how much you keep.

HP Wants To Become Apple. WebOS Is The Key

"After all, HP makes nearly double the revenue that Apple does each quarter. But despite this, itís Apple that actually makes more profit"
    Actually, in how it relates to us as users, it's neither. How much profit or revenue Apple or HP makes doesn't reflect on the quality, quantity, usefulness or anything else about their product - it reflects on their business practices.

Apple's business practices really are of no concern to me, I don't own any of their products. However, I did think it was worth pointing out that the original statement that "Apple generates more revenue than anyone in the PC market" was incorrect.

The only thing I'm concerned with from HP is that they produce a good product. Beyond that, I don't really care who they outsell, outprofit, or outgrow.

That said, I'd hate to see this forum return to the "Oh yeah, my favorite company is better than yours" days, and that nonsense always seems to start up with someone making incorrect claims about their "favorite".