1.    #1  
    Thanks to bluenote for posting this in another thread, but it should be out on its own.

Variety at the Festival de Cannes

Of note in this announcement is the 4th paragraph:

The Variety Studio @ Stella Artois Lounge's VIP guests are sure to remain tres chic in Cannes, as they will experience exclusive onsite gifting with the latest in HP communications technology, providing the new HP TouchPad tablet and the HP Veer, the innovative small but powerful smartphone powered by HP webOS
    Last edited by PrinceAlbert; 05/10/2011 at 10:52 AM.
    I see pandas.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    Thanks to bluenote for posting this in another thread, but it should be out on its own.

Variety at the Festival de Cannes

Of note is this announcement is the 4th paragraph:
    Hmmm, gifting the Touchpad starting next week??? May be closer to launch than I thought????
    well, since a lot of those people are likely to have iPads, or at least played with them, I think that reflects a lot of confidence from HP in the readiness of WebOS 3.0. Great sign.
    So "gift" is now a verb in certain rarefied circles. Who knew?
    I'd exepct this for about a month before the release.
    I want to be gifted an HP Touchpad, especially since it has no definite release date yet.

I wonder if they will be wifi only Touchpads, or if they will have 3G...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    used by the same people who "summer" in nantucket.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I want to be gifted an HP Touchpad, especially since it has no definite release date yet.

I wonder if they will be wifi only Touchpads, or if they will have 3G...

Wifi. They haven't announced 3G models yet.

Hopefully, that means we'll see them in early June.
    Wife's best friend is an agent for a presently very popular actor. I'm sure it's a slim chance but I just shamelessly emailed her suggesting that if some HP schwag found its way to her or her client and it was unwanted, I could provide it a good home.

Odds are slim that she'd go through the effort to get it back to me but, hell, it's worth the try. Maybe shameless isn't the word because now I'm feeling a little bit...er...ashamed.

Ah well.
    WSJ wrote about the TouchPad today. Nothing new but the timing in this major news outlet suggests a release soon.

Also the search engines have been cleaned up and TouchPad initial results refer to a webOS device, not some other HP device as was occurring several months ago.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...hpad-woot.html
  11.    #11  
    Well, by all means, I BEG a mod to correct the title to meet grappler's standards.

WWIT?
    I see pandas.
    Why is "gift" not a verb?
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    Well, by all means, I BEG a mod to correct the title to meet grappler's standards.

WWIT?
    That wasn't directed at you, since you were just using their language. I was poking some fun at the Cannes crowd and their merch providers. Just a joke, sorry.

And the previous poster is correct. "Gift" can be used as a verb:

Carry on.
  14.    #14  
    That wasn't directed at you, since you were just using their language. I was poking some fun at the Cannes crowd and their merch providers. Just a joke, sorry.

And the previous poster is correct. "Gift" can be used as a verb:

Carry on.
    Sorry, eyes were turning red thinking my english prof was here... LOL, it's all good, thx
    I see pandas.
    I wish I was going to be in France for that festival, I also wish I was in California for Google I/O. To get a new TouchPad & 10.1 Galaxy Tab a month in advance is sweeeet!!
    H/P is just realizing they cant compete with google and Samsung combined together.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    H/P is just realizing they cant compete with google and Samsung combined together.
    HP can compete with any one of the Android manufacturers. The problem is that there isn't just one Android manufacturer. They have to compete with Samsung, HTC, Motorola, etc.

Anyone on the forums get to attend this festival, or know of someone who went?
    Any media coverage talk about HP giving out TouchPads at this event?
    Just curious
    I previously posted that my wife's best friend is a high-level agent who has a well-known client--the type that teenage girls literally scream when he walks by. So, I'm nearly certain that they were there (in Cannes) as she goes every year. I emailed her (the agent) beforehand in a shameless request that should some unwanted HP swag end up in her client's hands it would find a welcome home with me. She didn't reply (which is not unusual for her). Further, I have no idea if they would have been invited or gone to the Variety event where HP products were supposed to be handed out like candy to the glitterati. My weak understanding of swag at entertainment events is that, when the celeb picks up the goody bag, s/he is photographed in a very cheesy fashion while holding up a particular item from said swag bag, said photograph being for promotional purposes for the company that gave said swag. I've done a number of searches since last weekend (when the Variety event was scheduled to have happened), including the actor's name, Variety, HP, and TouchPad and haven't come across anything.

Bummer.