Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    HP launches DataPass to sell prepaid 3G data plans, service piggybacks on Sprint's network -- Engadget

Its for a prepaid services only but it looks good that they have actually signed a contract and are in talks with HP.

This looks like a carrier of choose for the TouchPad too, so I am 95% certain the touchpad will be coming with HP's rebranded sprint service.....

So... does this news give the Pre3 on sprint a better chance?
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    Those prices are expensive.
    If you're in an area with no wifi it could be useful. The 75mb option, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    HP launches DataPass to sell prepaid 3G data plans, service piggybacks on Sprint's network -- Engadget

Its for a prepaid services only but it looks good that they have actually signed a contract and are in talks with HP.

This looks like a carrier of choose for the TouchPad too, so I am 95% certain the touchpad will be coming with HP's rebranded sprint service.....

So... does this news give the Pre3 on sprint a better chance?
    I think it'd be awesome to have this to fall back on with the touchpad. Those prices are only expensive if you're using 3G data all the time. If that's the case, you'd be better of with a data plan. If, however, you use internet on your touchpad mostly over wifi... or say... from a tethered phone, a data plan would be more expensive in the long run than for an occasional $5/75MB for that one time you let your phone die and really need some internetz.

I can't speak to whether this makes the Pre 3 more likely on Sprint, but I can say that it warms my heart a little.
    I think it shows that HP and Sprint still have a business relationship.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I think it shows that HP and Sprint still have a business relationship.
    There's a huge difference between Sprint selling spectrum to make money versus taking a phone on their network and risk losing money.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    There's a huge difference between Sprint selling spectrum to make money versus taking a phone on their network and risk losing money.
    Just how would they risk loosing money with the Pre 3? I am sure there are more than double avid webOS users waiting to buy a Pre 3, than the total number of Kyocera Echo they might sell this entire year.

As a Sprint Gold customer for more than 10yrs with an available upgrade since 8/2010, I am one of those awaiting for the announcd network for the Pre 3 without daily complaints or threats of jumping ship, blah blah blah.

I believe the Pre 3 will do just fine if HP invest in proper training and marketing with Sprint reps, etc. by selling the HECK out of webOS and the much much more improved and acceptable hardware, according to those here that have used it.

As Berdin pointed out, its good to see a current Sprint/HP business relationship, which could bold well for all current/future devices to be released
    Last edited by RoverNole; 05/09/2011 at 05:52 AM.
    Its a risk with the Pre 3 becaue the Webos user base is tiny and almost non existant and spread among sprint-at&t and Verizon. Someone posted the stats not too long ago at how little users on Sprint were webos. So small that is they all left it would mean nothing to sprint. But on the bright side it does show that Sprint and HP can work together but that means little in terms of Sprint risking any money on a failed os phone. Verizon and microsoft lost money on that silly kin phone. it happens . Its always a risk.
    looks like once again HP and Sprint are working together. It seems HP has purchased some 3G sprint spectrum to offer 3G data for some of their products:

Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Its a risk with the Pre 3 becaue the Webos user base is tiny and almost non existant and spread among sprint-at&t and Verizon. Someone posted the stats not too long ago at how little users on Sprint were webos. So small that is they all left it would mean nothing to sprint. But on the bright side it does show that Sprint and HP can work together but that means little in terms of Sprint risking any money on a failed os phone. Verizon and microsoft lost money on that silly kin phone. it happens . Its always a risk.
    correct, but not just old Palm OS, or Webos users on sprint but new customer could help Sprint continue to gain customers. Sprint right now are not selling at all alot of their devices since the EVO. Yes they hope the EVO 3D and the NExus S 4g will make them some money, fact is android sales as a whole is slowing down. They now have a WP7 device, and maybe picking up a slab version of that too, so to me like any other company (AT&T Veer, possiably the Pre3) and Verizon (Pre 2) sprint will still need to compete with their competitors, regardless of how many people are left wanting Webos, or how many people any thinks will want Webos. So yes I assure you Sprint will be carring a variant of Webos in the future thats a no brainer.
    <threads merged>
    this would be a great alternative to getting a data plan on a device that will mostly be used on wifi (like a tablet)

as others have said, its good to see HP and sprint working together, but i wouldnt start popping champaign just yet.
    THis seems like a great thing when your going on vacation or just need a few hours of internet time. Definetly something I might be interested in. Definetly.
  14. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    This could be interesting to watch roll-out. Maybe HP and Sprint's relationship is NOT fractured as all "the haters" on this and other boards elude.

Interesting that this occurs prior to TouchPad's release. Any speculation from the HP/Palm Nation?
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Speculation: There is a 3G version Touchpad coming. The Pre3 probably already has a carrier. The Veer is most likely on a different carrier. HP wants Veer AND Pre3 owners to buy Touchpads, but the fact they on different networks might prevent them? Or perhaps HP doesn't want to limit the Touchpad to a particular network.
    So they sell their own 3G internet, making the Touchpad 'universal'. At least on the funny (I can think of worse words) way the US market is set up.
    NNJ
    the cool part is that hp is now a "carrier" and can launch a 3G touchpad without any carrier. That's good unless this is a sign that no carrier wants the touchpad...
    (thread merged)
    According to Thisismynext and the press release, HP is not partnering directly with Sprint for the data plans, but a small MVNO known as Peregrine Network.

And then, Peregrine Network is partnering with Sprint for access.

So, it's not directly a partnership with Sprint, and therefore probably means nothing when it comes to HP phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    the cool part is that hp is now a "carrier" and can launch a 3G touchpad without any carrier. That's good unless this is a sign that no carrier wants the touchpad...
    A Pre with just that 3G data plan would be pretty cool too. Using voip and other services, a voice plan might not be needed. No carrier needed to sell these either.

It looks like HP is getting into the prepaid data game. The company just announced DataPass, a solution that lets you purchase 3G service from your laptop. The service is HP-branded, and that isn't just marketing hype -- the company bought wholesale spectrum data from Sprint and is setting its own prices, effectively turning the PC maker into an MVNO. The no-contract plans start at $5 for a modest 75MB, which HP says is enough for about five hours of use, and stretch up to $30 for 1GB.
    Right now, it's just for computers but they're essentially doing what Virgin Mobile does (which also runs on Sprint's network). I'll bet you'll be able to use a CDMA HP/Palm phone on there.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast