Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I am looking for some help with a basic phone for my wife. I have tried to get her into a Pre or Pixie but she just wants a dumb phone. We are with Sprint and she just needs to make calls and text. She also does not want a folder or flip phone. Any recommendations? Thanks!
    just get her the cheapest candybar phone sprint offers. Any phone from LG would be fine.

or if you an find it, get her a centro.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Thanks, I'll take a look.
    I would try to encourage the Pixi again. There are great deals on eBay for brand new ones. I got mine for about $50. Pixi is a great texting device. This would also give her some flexibility if she decides to move onto email, etc...
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    But keep in mind that smartphone will come with a $10/month surcharge, so if you aren't going to use it then don't get it. Sprint only, of course.
    Dan
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    That's the issue with the Pixie; she has a dirt cheap govt. acct. with like 50 texts so she doesn't really want to pay extra:-)
    Does she care if it's a slider? I assume if she doesn't want one that flips or folds, she probably doesn't want a slider either. If so, then there's really only one choice:

Sanyo SCP-2700 Juno Specs, Features (Phone Scoop)

The styling of the Juno is probably more suitable for young people, as it is targeted at teens that like to text (it has a dedicated button for opening text messaging), but it really is quite a nice phone. The OS feels a bit dated, but nevertheless it is very responsive, it has a decent keyboard, and the call quality is superb. It is also capable of web, GPS nav and email, but it does not have dedicated apps for social networking, such as Facebook or Twitter. It is not capable of being a music player, nor does it support MP3 ringtones. However if she just wants to make calls and text, it's perfect. Coming from Sanyo, you can expect that it will be built to last, though the paint will likely start to wear off if she keeps it for a long time.

There are a few more choices if she's OK with a slider:

Samsung Restore M570 / Profile Specs, Features (Phone Scoop)
    Samsung Reclaim M560 Specs, Features (Phone Scoop)
    Samsung Rant M540 Specs, Features (Phone Scoop) (refurbished)
    Samsung Seek Specs, Features (Phone Scoop)
    LG Remarq / Imprint Specs, Features (Phone Scoop)
    LG Rumor Touch / Banter Touch Specs, Features (Phone Scoop)

Of the sliders, I would actually prefer the form factor of the Restore, as it is the only one with a numeric keypad that can be accessed without opening the slider. It also has the best OS of the lot, IMO. However, the screen can be quite hard to see in sunlight or even bright light, and worst of all, the call quality is poor. The Samsung Reclaim has the same issues, which is really a shame. If it were not for the poor call quality and the screen, the Reclaim or Restore would be an easy recommendation.

So my recommendation for a slider would be the LG Remarq, which has a layout very similar to the Reclaim. It has decent sound quality--better than the Samsungs, but but maybe not quite as good as the Juno. The OS doesn't feel quite as polished as that of the Restore/Reclaim, but it does compare well with the Juno, having a bit more updated feel to it along with dedicated apps for Facebook, MySpace and Twitter.

If she thinks she wants a touchscreen, then it's either the Samsung Seek or the LG Rumor Touch. The Seek feels very flimsy, so I'd definitely skip it and go with the Rumor Touch. But make sure to have her take one for a test drive in the store first. The OS and touchscreen on a "dumb" phone is nothing like that of a smartphone and can be quite maddening, although the LG's is a bit better than most. I still find it intolerable, but that might just be me. Many people really like the Rumor Touch, so she might as well. Call quality is decent, but the Juno is unbeatable here.

So, even when considering the sliders, my overall recommendation is still the Juno.
    Last edited by Syndil; 05/09/2011 at 01:44 PM.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    2,155 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Thanks for all of the replies! I will look into these and see what we find.