Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Bought the new SK a couple of weeks ago.
    Am very happy..
    Everything Treo GPRS should've been including the price on the device and the plan.

Decent not great phone (kind of reminds me of the visorphone)
    Better keyboard
    Better wheel function
    Big like an old motorola flipphone
    Reduced PIM/and no Palm App functionality
    Blows away the treo as far as email and instant messaging but could be the keyboard..

I hate Handspring/T-mobile for what they did to us original Treo180 owners it's left a very bad after taste.

Goodluck everyone and hang in there for the US GPRS Rollout!

I'm moving on...
    it's an endless search of temporary joys
    What exactly did they do to us original 180 owners? I love mine.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    I love my 270 but I understand the feeling. We've been waiting so long for GPRS support (I mean official support) and a friend of mine just picked up a sidekick with full GPRS support cranking away. At this point I don't know who is dragging their feet (Handspring or T-Mobile) but after seeing the sidekick work it's officially getting old.

All in all the Treo 270 is far superior to the sidekick (for my needs), so I have no intention of bailing out. I just wish they would HURRY UP.
  4.    #4  
    Email to me was the key.
    Especially getting all my business outlook exchange email without having to be at my desk. Never did get any of the solutions to work including basejet which seemed the best.

With the SK My email shows up within seconds of appearing on my desktop. That never happened on my Treo ever..

People in need can email my SK and I get it immediately. Again never happened with the Treo.

Also I don't want to hack my device just to get around the missing USA rollout of GPRS.

The keypad was never any use to me without active email use, Being an old Palm user graffiti is a faster UI to use palm apps. With the SK I can do everything I need to, one handed with the wheel, something I couldn't do with the Treo

Loved the Treo idea and Jeff's device vision. I owned them since the pilot classic throught the HS prism
    The treo design is still very nice for a phone with PDA capabilities.
    Originally posted by burn
    Email to me was the key.
    Especially getting all my business outlook exchange email without having to be at my desk. Never did get any of the solutions to work including basejet which seemed the best.

With the SK My email shows up within seconds of appearing on my desktop. That never happened on my Treo ever..

People in need can email my SK and I get it immediately. Again never happened with the Treo.

Also I don't want to hack my device just to get around the missing USA rollout of GPRS.

The keypad was never any use to me without active email use, Being an old Palm user graffiti is a faster UI to use palm apps. With the SK I can do everything I need to, one handed with the wheel, something I couldn't do with the Treo

Loved the Treo idea and Jeff's device vision. I owned them since the pilot classic throught the HS prism
    The treo design is still very nice for a phone with PDA capabilities.
    I hear what you're saying -- I've really been on the fence about the whole Treo vs. Sidekick debate, and I've owned Palm PDAs since the original Pilot 1000!

You say that your desktop email shows up on your SK within seconds? Can you explain how you're accomplishing this? It was my understanding that the Sidekick had 1 direct account (@tmail or something similar) and could then "slurp" down 3 POP accounts on a regular basis (I heard it's a fixed 15 minutes).

So how is your corprate Exchange mail getting to your SK instantly? Does you have desktop rules that forward it to your @tmail account? If so, what happens when you reply? Or, is there a desktop component, as in Basejet, so that your replies go out through your desktop? What about when you read or delete a message - does it do the same to your Outlook desktop?

This last feature is one of the things I love the most about Basejet (sorry you can't seem to get it working, it's great on the Treo) - the fact that my Outlook box (with 7 POP accounts I download, and a ton of rules/spam filters active) is the master copy, and Basejet automatically keeps itself in sync with that.

Now if they could just get the GPRS patch out, that would be ideal.

Also, what about Sync? If one of your coworkers sends you a meeting request, it goes into your Outlook calendar, but I understand it's not sync'd with the Sidekick just yet, am I correct?

Personally, I'm also still hung up on some of the 3rd party apps for Palm - like ToDo Plus ... without that little app, I'd never remember to do some things on the schedule I need to (i.e.: give the dog his monthly medication, etc.). Rock-solid email, IM, and phone is a strong selling point. If they could just get a few more business-centric issues solved (and a better rate plan) I'm not sure if I'd be able to stay in the Palm camp.

Good luck with your sidekick!

-Doug
    Thanks for the quick overview!

How are you handling your PIM now? AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $SK$ $is$ $not$ $compatible$ $with$ $Palm$ $Desktop$ $or$ $Outlook$ $and$ $it$ $uses$ $it$ $own$ $proprietary$ $system$.

Since I use Yahoo Calendar and other Yahoo PIM, I don't think that would be a problem, but I also would like to have a local copy of my PIM when I'm traveling.

Bottom line: how well does it sync PIM? I've heard multiple reviews that the IM, email, keyboard functions are great, but the PIM and phone sucks.
  7.    #7  
    the SK handles text messaging great. Somehow the keyboard works out better for me than the treo.

I use a rule to forward my mail to the SK somehow it works on the server without my computer being logged on. The speed is the difference, it would take minutes if not hours for my mail to show up on my Treo when I did the same thing.

For replies I have my reply to address to go to my desktop.
    I also have the a note in my signature where the mail came from in case they want to reply back directly. xxx@tmail.com

As far as a PIM the autosync is missing, at this time you need to upload your PIM data to your my-tmobile website and it auto updates the SK wirelessly. Hopefully the next OS upgrade (done automatically) will a patch to sync directly to my desktop PIM. The upgrades remind of how OmniSky used to do it when I was on their service before I switched to the visorphone.

The unlimited email is really a key item though.
    Burn,

Do you have a "desktop" client that you can look at contact info (ie: outlook or Palm Desktop?)

How did you convert your palm data to sk data?

thanks
  9.    #9  
    It's kind of cumbersome for now but you basically export your PIM data from whatever PIM you are using as a text file and then import it directly in the website which then passes it to your SK.

I believe Danger is working on a better interface like syncing directly to the PIM with a desktop uploaded liek voicestream had a while back.

It's okay for me now as I pretty much just use my SK where ever I go so I can enter the info direct into the SK.

Don't know if you can export from the website to update your PIM.

I someone emails or tells me an appointment or something I need to remember I just enter it in the calendar/to do area as needed.

The device is not everything as the palm UI is more matured but it's quick to get in and out of the apps using the buttons and jog wheel.
    IMHO, Sidekick=more immediacy, Treo=more functionality.

Frankly, I kind of LIKE not being barraged by e-mail every second and having my phone go off. I LIKE having Outlook filter my mail first (using Basejet, which works like a charm). And if anyone needs to reach me immediately, they can either call me, SMS me, or even sending e-mail to pager@[mydomain], which automatically forwards to my SMS.

I just surfed the Web on my Treo to find info on an event I was going to, and then directions to get there (I had gotten lost). No probs, even on dialup. And with the ****-load of minutes I have (1000 anytime on an old $39 plan), no $ worries, either.

The sidekick may be neato-gee-whiz with all its immediacy, but in terms of sheer usefulness, my Treo with its amazingly awesome Palm apps is lightyears ahead.
    Originally posted by burn
    It's kind of cumbersome for now but you basically export your PIM data from whatever PIM you are using as a text file and then import it directly in the website which then passes it to your SK.
    Does this mean that there essentially is no LOCAL version of your contacts on your sidekick? Everytime you want to access your contacts, you must utilize the GPRS connection?

No big deal, since the GPRS connection is relatively fast, but what if you're in an area w/o GPRS? or cellular signal at all? Can you still access your data?

Also, is there a way to "turn off the phone feature" completely so that you can use the SK on the airplanes?
    Hey.

I think a few months back I mentioned that GPRS was NOT coming to the Treo until Dec 2002 or Jan 2003.

I was widely ridiculed as though I had no clue.

I know a few more secrets then and now.

Here is the thread. Pity. I'll see if I can get them to move it up to Nov 1st. Wish me luck.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=25527
  13.    #13  
    Re: MitzEclipse
    1. The update to the website updates the data on your device using GPRS the data is also online.
    2. Yes you can turn off/on the phone when you need to

Re: ThatAdamGuy
    I use it more like RIM than a phone. I like the fact that everything is occuring in the background and I can choose what emails I need to respond to and what I can ignore and delete.

I can do all that web stuff as well but unless you're using Thunderhawk on a pocketPC or the new bsquare device at 640x480 then it's really not the same web experience as a PC.

You are right though, the SK is not a device for everyone. The Treo's still a great device no doubt. If you really listen to Jeff H. though it's the simplicity/integrated use of the core apps thats creates the brain sync not the fancy add-on stuff (but their nice too!).
    hmm.. 3rd party support for sidekick will never match palm based apps.

That is the killer, except one problem.

95% of palm owners never use any software that wasn't installed to begin with or wasn't beamed by a buddy.

So. Palm is alluring because of the the huge library of software, that nobody uses.

Sidekick also has a camera attachment that is neat and a lot of fun. Who knew? The sidekick will also have cool agressive marketing to consumers, where the Treo had none. The Treo was postioned as a device to be upsold by the carriers.

Too bad, they had a chance to spark recognition and make the whole world want a Treo. Instead they misspent the cash on crap. Finally a device that warranted a huge marketing budget, and they blew it. HS is great on product design, bad on marketing.
    Originally posted by TreoGirl
    95% of palm owners never use any software that wasn't installed to begin with or wasn't beamed by a buddy.
    I hear you on the marketing woes of Handspring, that's undeniably, IMHO.

But your '95%' figure... did you just create that number to make a point, or do you really know that figure for a fact?

And wouldn't it massively depend on the Palm model? With entry level Palms, sure, the folks are forking over $100 and are the units have limited memory... using the default apps seems more likely. But when people are paying $499 for a color 16-meg Palm-OS based unit (Treo 270), do you really forsee 95% of them just using the native apps?

Yes, I'm a geek. And yes, I'm sure this group here in this forum isn't representative of Palm/Handspring owners. But still? I'd think nearly every Palm owner would install at least one or two "favorites"... whether those are games, local transportation (bus) timetables, Avantgo or Vindigo, etc.

And frankly, I can't see how folks'd be willing to give that up for the coolness of Sidekick (though I must admit, I've found the arguments above from other posters to be at least a bit convincing ).
    Originally posted by TreoGirl
    I think a few months back I mentioned that GPRS was NOT coming to the Treo until Dec 2002 or Jan 2003.

I was widely ridiculed as though I had no clue.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=25527
    In that thread there wasn't one word said about you, let alone ridicule. Are you sure you're pointing to the right place?
    TreoGirl,

I'm ridiculing now. (kidding) Only 90% of Palm users never load a 3rd party app. (Let's get those numbers right!) This seems a high number, but many of that 90% are using two megs and use only their addressbook and datebook. That's why the Zire came out, which seems a worthless idea to most of us on these forums. Us, the 10%, do use the 5,000 Palm apps.

Very few in the 90% would consider jumping from a 2 meg PDA to a Sidekick, or Treo commuinicator.

Kevin
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    oh good, another shot in the face for gprs treo users...

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/169-1.htm

wow, this is getting really, really sad.
  19.    #19  
    Yup, I agree it's pretty sad especially for the early adopters
    That's why I quit waiting

The SK is working fine for me at this point, I'm happy.
    Originally posted by mportune
    oh good, another shot in the face for gprs treo users...

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/169-1.htm

wow, this is getting really, really sad.
    Are you kidding? This is *GREAT* news! From everything I've seen, the cell phone companies are like the airlines... one of them cuts prices or offers new services, and all the others soon follow.

Don't you think this will put enormous competitive pressure on T-Mobile?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast