1.    #1  
    WHOOPS: HP Exec Spills Huge Company Secret On LinkedIn Profile
    businessinsider

Related Quotes
    Symbol Price Change
    HPQ 40.46 +0.13

Matt Rosoff, On Tuesday May 3, 2011, 6:29 pm EDT

Hewlett-Packard accidentally revealed more details of its cloud computing plans today when an exec updated his LinkedIn profile.

Hewlett-Packard CEO Leo Apotheker announced that HP was making a big push into cloud computing last month, but didn't go into much detail, except to say it was building "platform-as-a-service" (like Microsoft's Windows Azure) and "infrastructure-as-a-service" (like Amazon Web Services) clouds.

Today VP of cloud services Scott McClellan updated his LinkedIn profile with a bunch of details on exactly what HP is building. The Register published it before McClellan had a chance to pull it back.

Here's what HP is building.

"Object storage" service "built from scratch." This sounds like simple data storage, which has been part of Amazon Web Services since its inception and was an early part of Windows Azure as well.

HP "compute," "networking" and "block storage" services. This sounds superficially similar to the services offered by AWS, but McClellan boasted that it will be different from what's out there now. He called it "a declarative/model-based approach where users provide a specification and the system automates deployment and management."

Shared services for nuts-and-bolts functions like user authentication and authorization, billing and metering, and analytics.

A developer experience that will include Java and Ruby, as well as "other open-source languages."

Microsoft's Windows Azure cloud computing service, .NET development platform, and C# programming language were not mentioned...
    WHOOPS: HP Exec Spills Huge Company Secret On LinkedIn Profile - Yahoo! Finance
    He may not be with HP very long!
    Unfortunately, when I read that, I see:

"Melba toast... Infrastructure... Puffed wheat... Systems... Sandpaper... Zzzzzz..."

Didn't mean a whole lot to me. Anyone care to translate?
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post

"Melba toast... Infrastructure... Puffed wheat... Systems... Sandpaper... Zzzzzz..."

Need more info on what you want to understand.

If you know much about cloud computing then compare it to Amazon Web Services like EC2, S3, etc. Add on top of that sometime like what HP has tried to market to datacenter owners - a utility computing management stack - and then understand that virtually none of this affects you directly as a consumer and a phone user.

These are all things that allow companies to run their software assets within someone eles's (HP's) data centers. This seemed like a great idea for many people until recently when Amazon had a major meltdown that resulted in not only an outage of 3 days or so but a total loss of data for many users of the system. This has given clouds a very big black eye and HP couldn't be picking a worse time to jump in.

Timing... <sigh>

Easily understandable with the jargon they used!

To me....it reads as if its meant for Enterprise consumers...not us common folk! I just think its funny these high profile guys would blurb inside info to social media sites! Not Thinking straight!
    Here is the original article - including a screencap of the posting before it was removed: HP engineering veep spills cloud plans onto LinkedIn • The Register
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Need more info on what you want to understand.
    I suppose what I'm looking for is the end result. What's the goal? Profit, ultimately, but is that made through:

-increased user storage?
    -a possibility of better device or network performance?
    -lower cost for HP, which means lower consumer cost?

So that's all. What's the goal? What do these things do in the long run?
    I suppose what I'm looking for is the end result. What's the goal? Profit, ultimately, but is that made through:

-increased user storage?
    -a possibility of better device or network performance?
    -lower cost for HP, which means lower consumer cost?

So that's all. What's the goal? What do these things do in the long run?
    That's a long conversation but the basic drift of it is that companies that are not Information Technology as their core business are looking at a model like this (From multiple people not just HP) where they move their IT assets out of their own data centers and reduce their costs and leverage a shared environment that has higher scaling and lower cost per unit of work. HP is looking to leverage their considerable expertise and technology to capture some of the profits in this area.

On top of the Enterprise marketplace they are also probably looking at this as a way to offer services to consumers (like Phone and PC users) to differentiate their devices in the marketplace.

Does that help?
    I think this only benefits tech savvy consumers unless they make the user experience as simple as it can get.

It all sounds great to have access to your library of data from any connected interface. But if its developed in a way that doesn't provide a simple experience for a common user, then its probably going to fail to the common user. Here is where I think the WebOS plays a big role in this experience to this type of technology. If they can take an enterprise level technology and make simplified experience for the public, they could have something there.
    Yes, that's a bit clearer, thank you.

But (at the risk of sounding like a teacher assigning an essay) what kinds of consumer services could be created by becoming a place for companies to maintain their data?

I'm guessing it's like taking a car and putting it in a climate-controlled storage facility. But instead of it just sitting there, the storage company not only performs the necessary regular maintenance on it, but starts a courier service with it and gives you back part of the proceeds. Am I kinda there?

yeah that's how HP always speaks. it makes a lot of sense to the tech crowd and IT departments though.
    it's important to understand (and not widely understood on these forums) that unlike Apple for instance, HP isn't just focussed on consumers. A big chunk of their revenue comes from enterprise products and services the average consumer never sees or thinks about.
    I've heard there are many data centers an HP had developed.