Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 85
  1.    #1  
    Well, this is fresh news. I donīt know Pacquiao campaigns but somebody involved in the USA sports might know. Although the headlights of the source says the TABLET, the content also mentions PCs, printers and smartphones, which are not clear for me if are also included in the deal.

    The news:

    Working through agency William Morris, Top Rank submitted Pacquiao to HP when it learned the brand was looking for a select group of high-profile entertainers and athletes to feature in the campaign, which will include television, radio, print, outdoor and billboard components, all of which will feature the fighter and run globally.

    Because of its broad line of products — including the tablet, PCs, printers and smartphones — HP struggled to find attractive endorsers who didn’t have conflicting deals.

    Many, such as NBA stars Dwyane Wade and Kobe Bryant, did. Because almost all of his contracts have been limited to the Philippines, Pacquiao was able to make the broadly structured HP deal work.

    Top Rank would not discuss financials of the deal, other than to say it included HP products and a cash contribution toward charities of Pacquiao’s choice. The deal was attractive because of the level of credible exposure.

    “The brand alignment, to us, is unparalleled,” said Lucia McKelvey, executive vice president of marketing for Top Rank. “It’s exactly what we’re looking for and the kind of deal we want. We hope by executing and doing this one well, others will buy into it.”

    Source: HP signs Pacquiao for new tablet campaign - SportsBusiness Daily | SportsBusiness Journal

    I found more information about Manny Pacquiao here:http://www.huliq.com/10061/manny-pac...hps-tablet-ads
    Last edited by akitayo; 05/02/2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: more info
  2. #2  
    Well, if they want to position the new stuff as tough, durable, and bullet proof this is the guy for them to grab. He's one tough dude.

    Nice find!
  3. #3  
    Now all we need is for mayweather to sign a contract for the ipad and we finally will get our fight :P
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    Now all we need is for mayweather to sign a contract for the ipad and we finally will get our fight :P

    Made me laugh, good one.
  5. #5  
    I think this a great thing. He is a worldwide commodity. Now it's just about execution.
  6. #6  
    I'm sorry, Pacquiao is a waste of Money. I couldnt care less about this guy and I'm sure 99% of the U.S population agrees with me.

    I wont buy anything because I see Manny pacquiao associated with it, consciously or subconsciously.

    They need to get people talking about the devices. Something funny, like what they did with the Playstation phone. Or like the Old Spice guy. They need to get people talking about the devices, they are good enough to support themselves after that.
  7.    #7  
    Who knows Pacquiao in what division/category is/was. light, heavy..? in the boxing sport.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Who knows Pacquiao in what division/category is/was. light, heavy..? in the boxing sport.
    he's won in 8 different weight classes
    @agentmock

    Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
  9. #9  
    good plug i guess. so the touchpad is gonna be huge in the philippines. great. maybe asia. which isnt bad.
    but his english is horrible so i hope he doesnt speak in american commercials.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    he's won in 8 different weight classes
    i think 7 going for 8 this saturday. go manny!
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade View Post
    I'm sorry, Pacquiao is a waste of Money. I couldnt care less about this guy and I'm sure 99% of the U.S population agrees with me.

    I wont buy anything because I see Manny pacquiao associated with it, consciously or subconsciously.

    They need to get people talking about the devices. Something funny, like what they did with the Playstation phone. Or like the Old Spice guy. They need to get people talking about the devices, they are good enough to support themselves after that.
    I agree and disagree. If he is the MAIN or ONLY one then it sucks.

    HP just needs to get Dr. Dre on a commercial using his touchpad and tell everyone to use it and he knows best because he is a Dr. and the rest will be histroy

    No more serena williams or a washed up mc hammer.

    Dr. Dre, Drake, Eminem etc....


    Funny thing is, do you think it is a coincidence that the Xoom commercial dude kinda looks like Drake?
  12. elslunko's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    #12  
    I wonder what demographic (and the % of people in the world that includes) actually goes on these forums to argue and claims to represent the opinion of MOST people in the world...

    The guy is super popular with many people where I live, in Los Angeles.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by elslunko View Post
    I wonder what demographic (and the % of people in the world that includes) actually goes on these forums to argue and claims to represent the opinion of MOST people in the world...

    The guy is super popular with many people where I live, in Los Angeles.
    I see. I did not know he was that popular. Well, I am not following boxing sport since Cassius Clay (Mohamed Ali) and the last champion for the heavy weights I remember is Foreman.

    I think I have to update myself in this sport. And thanks for the information.
  14. #14  
    Manny wearing Beats headphones. already on his way
  15. #15  
    Boxing fans and especially manny fans have disposable income. He's one of the last names that ppl actually still buy the PPV in the US in vast numbers. So getting the attention of ppl that spend money is probably a good thing.
  16. elslunko's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    #17  
  17. #18  
    Some people on this forum border on the ridiculous. HP signs a world-famous athlete for an ad campaign and they think it's stupid because, only caring for WoW and StarCraft webcasts, they've never heard of a 10-time world champion boxer. And obviously, the assumption is that nobody else in the world does. I bet you they'd know extremely well if the guy was American.

    Next up they'll sign Mesut Özil and people will facepalm because 1) nobody knows who he is! And 2) nobody in the world cares for "soccer". Should've signed Cam Newton in order to blow the world away.

    It's also unlikely that Pacquiao will be the ONLY celebrity in this campaign, he's just the first to be announced.
  18. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    It's also unlikely that Pacquiao will be the ONLY celebrity in this campaign, he's just the first to be announced.
    Maybe he is just the first of many, but, celebrity endorsements wont achieve anything on there own. It needs to be part of a bigger narrative that demonstrates why this is useful to you. The choice of any particular celeb is less important than the quality of the message that they are delivering.

    Having said that in Europe, if you had Cristiano Ronaldo or David Beckham you would be sure to gain more media attention.
  19. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    Maybe he is just the first of many, but, celebrity endorsements wont achieve anything on there own. It needs to be part of a bigger narrative that demonstrates why this is useful to you. The choice of any particular celeb is less important than the quality of the message that they are delivering.

    Having said that in Europe, if you had Cristiano Ronaldo or David Beckham you would be sure to gain more media attention.
    True, and true. But:

    Do you know what else HP is going to do? Because you seem to be saying celebrity endorsements will be the beginning and end of the campaign. If you have any information, don't hesitate to share it, but please don't assume that there won't be anything if you just don't know of anything.

    CR7 would surely be a well-known face. He'd also ask for monetary compensation equivalent to two or three third-world nations' annual GDP.

    (a side note, David Beckham is a has-been who's living off of a former glory that never stood in a realistic relation to his skills. As always, George Best said it best: "He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's alright.")

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions