Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 85
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    i dont understand the debate here. are we suggesting that celebrity endorsements should be reseverved ONLY for those who have massive starpower on every inch of the planet? Sorry HP, if you dont land either Beyonce or Lady Gaga forget about it /sarcasm.

    this guy has massive appeal. period. anyone who watches ESPN knows very well who he is. sure he wont appeal to every demographic, but guess what? HP will just another strategy for those! simple.
    Exactly. HP also has many different stars.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  2. #62  
    picked manny...smart move. Whoever thinks his endorsement won't make a diference 'over here or over there' needs a new frame of reference, they don't seem to understand global marketing.

    It's sad to see such USA-centrric thinking. I love my country, but I love this great big world too. Oh, and don't get me started about the solar system!j
  3. #63  
    I think people were asking that too and defending the Borg lady ads too in the beginning, lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    i dont understand the debate here. are we suggesting that celebrity endorsements should be reseverved ONLY for those who have massive starpower on every inch of the planet? Sorry HP, if you dont land either Beyonce or Lady Gaga forget about it /sarcasm.

    this guy has massive appeal. period. anyone who watches ESPN knows very well who he is. sure he wont appeal to every demographic, but guess what? HP will just use another strategy for those! simple.
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    MMA is the new hotness but boxing stars are prolly more well known and they prolly appeal more to advertisers.
    There is a reason why Manny gets paid 50 million while Brock Lesnar or GSP makes under 1.5 million in a year. Not to mention sponsors.

    Manny Pacquiao is an influential person and has a much larger following than anyone else in MMA.

    But you are right, MMA is a new breed and boxing is a dying one. This is coming from a MMA fan first and boxing 2nd.
  5. #65  
    He may be a very influential spokesman. I'm trying to envision that they will use him to demonstrate a particular message.

    It could be how rugged the Pre3 is, it could be TTS, eprhaps?

    If a championship boxer slaps two devices together... or they show him doing it with finesse in some juxtaposed view of someone used to hitting hard but "tapping" his tablet?

    Dunno, I'd be hiring comedians to make the funniest commercials possible thinking that might help them go viral...
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyczwillz View Post
    There is a reason why Manny gets paid 50 million while Brock Lesnar or GSP makes under 1.5 million in a year. Not to mention sponsors.

    Manny Pacquiao is an influential person and has a much larger following than anyone else in MMA.

    But you are right, MMA is a new breed and boxing is a dying one. This is coming from a MMA fan first and boxing 2nd.
    Not to forget that he is a congressman although in a small country still an important one. You are right he is very influential... i know he's thinking about this country's presidency. Remember HP is world wide... imagine if HP backed Obama and the use of his technology going into the white house. So many people would follow him or his style for the use of his types of tech to "stay connected."

    I agree Boxing is dying and they tried hard to hype it up last night. But not many people know WHO the MMA players/fighters are... but MORE people can atleast RELATE to boxing coming from the 80's, 90's, even early 2000's. If you look at MMA its a much younger crowd (yes there are several older people). But compared to MMA it is not. So maybe soon they will get into the MMA... its JUST beginning...
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    I think people were asking that too and defending the Borg lady ads too in the beginning, lol.
    I fail to understand the correlation between Manny and the Borg Lady.

    Manny is a huge sports star with plenty of fans. Any campaign he's in will likely resemble that of any other celebrity endorsement. "Hi, i'm <insert celeb>. I like <insert brand>, you like me, so you should like <brand> also.

    The Borg lady campaign was a series of commercials featuring a nobody actress and a nebulous concept that confused customers rather than give them a reason to buy the device.

    Two completely different approaches to marketing. the first, while shallow, is pretty fool-proof and wildly popular with marketers because they work. The second....

    also, unlike with the borg lady, HP can afford to have more than one campaign.
  8. #68  
    the correlation is questioning the effectiveness of their choice for marketing the product.

    the first strategy is not really fool-proof because you have to find the right personality with the right product. your logic is like saying just put a big star in any movie and it will be a hit... and that doesnt work either.

    just saying people think the choice of pacman is perfect. i'm just saying that's what people thought to or try to convince themselves when the borg commercials came out.

    i definitely hope they have have different ad campaigns going at the same time and guess they will.

    maybe they should have signed him for veer and pushed... 'little guy with a big punch' or 'tell me its girly and i will beat the crap out of you'
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    the correlation is questioning the effectiveness of their choice for marketing the product.

    the first strategy is not really fool-proof because you have to find the right personality with the right product. your logic is like saying just put a big star in any movie and it will be a hit... and that doesnt work either.

    just saying people think the choice of pacman is perfect. i'm just saying that's what people thought to or try to convince themselves when the borg commercials came out.

    i definitely hope they have have different ad campaigns going at the same time and guess they will.

    maybe they should have signed him for veer and pushed... 'little guy with a big punch' or 'tell me its girly and i will beat the crap out of you'

    and your basing your opinion that he's not the right celebrity on what? because YOU were unfamiliar with him? i'm not saying anything he touches will be gold, but you can say that any celebrity in any commercial.

    we all saw the Borg lady, and we all agree it was bad. it probably did more harm than good. but we have NO indication what so ever that Manny wont be beneficial.

    anyway, in your opinion, would would qualify someone has "the right" guy for the touchpad?
  10. ieko's Avatar
    Posts
    354 Posts
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    #70  
    I think Pacquiao will appeal to that "fat" middle, so I can't see how that could possibly be a bad thing.
  11. #71  
    how about if they start the commercial with the creepy borg lady and then he comes into the picture and punches her lights out?

    then he says: "HP is serious about making a great phone. Any body care to argue with me?"
  12. #72  
    lol, that would be great

    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    how about if they start the commercial with the creepy borg lady and then he comes into the picture and punches her lights out?

    then he says: "HP is serious about making a great phone. Any body care to argue with me?"
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    how about if they start the commercial with the creepy borg lady and then he comes into the picture and punches her lights out?

    then he says: "HP is serious about making a great phone. Any body care to argue with me?"
    yes!!!!!!
  14. #74  
    if you are going to use a celebrity and advertise big, then imo, you use a person that has a bigger universal appeal and recognition, gender and age groups too... not just ones that people that watch espn and a fan of boxing that would know him. like i said, more people are going to recognize george foreman over pacquiao.

    i've heard him talk... neat guy and neat history but i dunno how charimatic he will be selling the touchpad. imo, i just believe there are better.

    i feel that HP needs to make a great first impression and after two+ years webos is running out of bullets to sell webos. you only have one or two bullets left in the gun... you make it count and if you are going to use a celebrity... then go with the more 'fool-proof' choice of a hollywood star or musician.

    dont believe me then it's cool... we can agree to disagree.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    and your basing your opinion that he's not the right celebrity on what? because YOU were unfamiliar with him? i'm not saying anything he touches will be gold, but you can say that any celebrity in any commercial.

    we all saw the Borg lady, and we all agree it was bad. it probably did more harm than good. but we have NO indication what so ever that Manny wont be beneficial.

    anyway, in your opinion, would would qualify someone has "the right" guy for the touchpad?
  15. #75  
    that would be more important if he was their ONLY spokesperson, but they have many. I just want to see him punch out the borg lady.
  16. #76  
    yep and i understand that and believe there will be more than just paquiao... at least i hope. but right now he's the only one we've heard mentioned so just going with that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    that would be more important if he was their ONLY spokesperson, but they have many. I just want to see him punch out the borg lady.
  17. #77  
    no, there was venus (tennis player), dr dre, etc.
  18. #78  
    i stand corrected. i know i saw a vid where serena was given a demo. but didnt know they officially signed a williams sister. and i know dre is part of the beats audio.

    and i am probably getting old cause those names do nothing for me either, lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    no, there was venus (tennis player), dr dre, etc.
  19. #79  
    honestly I think it's good if they line up about a dozen celebrities from all areas. What I want to see then is a Droid type advertising blitz that equals or betters it. That campaign was so sick there was no direction you could turn... tv, radio, billbords, magazines, newspapers, telepathic... you couldnt avoid one of their ads. resistance was futile.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    no, there was venus (tennis player), dr dre, etc.
  20. ieko's Avatar
    Posts
    354 Posts
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    #80  
    You're over thinking this.. he doesn't really have to say much.

    And if he did, he could do something nice like video conference with family half way around the world. The point isn't how famous he is (although he's been on 60 minutes so even your grandparents know him now), it's if he can show off the product in a meaningful way -- if people recognize him then that's fine too.

    Could go something like this:
    Manny is fighting, wins fight, gets call on TouchPad from family to congratulate him.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions