Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    what? Why? Who is this guy?
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    Maybe he is just the first of many, but, celebrity endorsements wont achieve anything on there own. It needs to be part of a bigger narrative that demonstrates why this is useful to you. The choice of any particular celeb is less important than the quality of the message that they are delivering.

Having said that in Europe, if you had Cristiano Ronaldo or David Beckham you would be sure to gain more media attention.
    Maybe Leonel Messi dominating/playing the soccer ball making (cascaritas)and someone showing multitasking and swiping out 50 cards.

(cascaritas) is a word in spanish we use to say when you are dominating the soccer ball repeatidly.

I mean like he is doing very young on this mastercard commercial:

I've never cared about celebrity endorsements, regardless of whether I recognize or respect the celebrity. I think they would be better served by a character (i.e. "can you hear me now" guy or Old Spice man) than by any particular celebrity. But whatever. HP has always gone with celebs, so this is business as usual for them. A disappointment, IMO.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    I've never cared about celebrity endorsements, regardless of whether I recognize or respect the celebrity. I think they would be better served by a character (i.e. "can you hear me now" guy or Old Spice man) than by any particular celebrity. But whatever. HP has always gone with celebs, so this is business as usual for them. A disappointment, IMO.
    What do you think of this idea for a commercial:Leonel Messi and the TouchPad are twins.

Messi making cascaritas.

TouchPad making multitasking.

Messi making more cascaritas.

TouchPad swiping out cards (the most you can)

Messi attacking , passing the soccer ball as well as defending.

TouchPad making stacks.

Messi making a wall and recieving back the ball and making a goal.

TouchPad and the Pre 3 talking to each other.

Messi playing a little with the TouchPad and the Pre3

Messi showing the devices and saying : The TouchPad and Pre3 play like me. (La TouchPad y el Pre 3 juegan como yo.)
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    It's also unlikely that Pacquiao will be the ONLY celebrity in this campaign, he's just the first to be announced.
    Its not even like HP announced this, this just leaked. So its probably part of a bigger campaign we just dont know about it. So calm down ppl. relax.
    I don't care if Ghandi, Elvis or Jesus is promoting it. Just release it already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    I don't care if Ghandi, Elvis or Jesus is promoting it. Just release it already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Everyone on P/C forums feels like you, but I prefer to wait a little and have a TouchPad working fast and smoothly and with some good apps in and of course quickoffice well done. Donīt you think ?
    What a waste of money using celebrity endorsements. Pacquiao? They would have been better off using George Foreman cause you know he's a better speaker. He could probably sell more than HP if they allow him to sell it... "The George Foreman Tablet... and you get a George Foreman Grill with it."

Here's an example of how to use your advertising money. No celebrities needed... it sells itself...

9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    What a waste of money using celebrity endorsements. Pacquiao? They would have been better off using George Foreman cause you know he's a better speaker. He could probably sell more than HP if they allow him to sell it... "The George Foreman Tablet... and you get a George Foreman Grill with it."

Here's an example of how to use your advertising money. No celebrities needed... it sells itself...

I saw that commercial ,simple to the point.

as much as i hate to say it, Apple does an incredible job with its marketing.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    Why hate to say it. Apple also uses multiple layers of marketing. The tablet is a bigger iPhone so you don't need to push the same thing in marketing that you use on the iPhone. People already get that iPad2 has all the apps that were available on the iPhone. Also, this is the second release of the device so you build on what people already know.

When you market a PC, you don't have to say you can purchase software for word processing that that you can surf the web. You mention what people don't already think of. HP needs to build that type of "it's a given" with the TouchPad and keep moving from there. It's all about layering.

If HP advertised Quick Office and Quicken, it would be a slam dunk, because other things are already expected on tablets (such as ability to watch netfix and listen to music. Thus, show using quicken, listening to music, and a quick message comes up. Pan out the doctor or etc is on call, he taps his phone against table to exchange a call and then looks @ the patients chart on the TouchPad, before he heads out the door. Something that shows the possible in use w/o stating, he/she is multitasking while they live their life.
    Touchpad will have a Quicken App? I dont know if it's a slamdunk but that's cool. I've been using Quicken since early 2000 so I have been hoping for a Quicken app.
    I would say they do the absolute best job at marketing.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Why hate to say it. Apple also uses multiple layers of marketing. The tablet is a bigger iPhone so you don't need to push the same thing in marketing that you use on the iPhone. People already get that iPad2 has all the apps that were available on the iPhone. Also, this is the second release of the device so you build on what people already know.

When you market a PC, you don't have to say you can purchase software for word processing that that you can surf the web. You mention what people don't already think of. HP needs to build that type of "it's a given" with the TouchPad and keep moving from there. It's all about layering.

If HP advertised Quick Office and Quicken, it would be a slam dunk, because other things are already expected on tablets (such as ability to watch netfix and listen to music. Thus, show using quicken, listening to music, and a quick message comes up. Pan out the doctor or etc is on call, he taps his phone against table to exchange a call and then looks @ the patients chart on the TouchPad, before he heads out the door. Something that shows the possible in use w/o stating, he/she is multitasking while they live their life.
    Still, if you're HP, you can't skip the "layers" either. Apple did their ground work and while many things are now a given with the ipad, a touchpad is unknown.

Apple is merely saying they've got this 9.7" device that's the same for everyone but drastically different for everyone because of the apps. It's something we've hammered before. Focusing on hardware is mostly a waste of time for many. HP can be different enough in that it's willing to offer different form factors. It's the apps that HP needs to focus on.

I can think of 3 broad categories they need to focus on...professional, educational, general consumer (what doesn't fit the first two). It'd be nice to see dedicated teams devoted to each category.

Market this. Cite a study showing touchpad apps increase a kid's learning in some engaging commercial. Parents will eat that up. Get these devices in school districts.

While these are fun devices, i probably wouldn't own one if not for the educational benefits my kid gets. That made it worthwhile enough.
    first off anyone who knows boxing knows Pacman is the most highly paid, and celebrated boxer in the sport right now. This is right now as big as signing Floyd maywether, and for the record he made in the last 3 years more money then any athlete in the world check the books. This is huge for HP Period. He will be a hall famer, and go down in history as one of the best pound for pound fighters. Right now in the world he is the biggest star, very lost comment above, and yes I box professional and have so for over a decade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade View Post
    I'm sorry, Pacquiao is a waste of Money. I couldnt care less about this guy and I'm sure 99% of the U.S population agrees with me.

I wont buy anything because I see Manny pacquiao associated with it, consciously or subconsciously.

They need to get people talking about the devices. Something funny, like what they did with the Playstation phone. Or like the Old Spice guy. They need to get people talking about the devices, they are good enough to support themselves after that.
    Manny? Love this guy, he has guts and determination, and he's a congressman I think!

I don't mean to offend, but I sense your attitude is poor and your statement is likely inaccurate. It's true that I don't know the minds of all the U.S. Population, but I don't think you should say things like "I'm sure 99%...agrees with me". It gives us (the population of the U.S.) a bad name, like we don't care about anything outside of our 'U.S. box'. I do not agree with you. I am glad that HP thinks outside of the U.S. box...or the U.S. boxing ring even. I have many Filipino friends who love gadgets and love Manny. Some of them live here in the U.S., some live in the Philippines, and some live on Diego Garcia (where I met most of them). This WILL make a difference to them. This WILL catch the eye of more people, especially with those who already have an interest in Pacquiao.

Not every marketing move will apply to you. This marketing effort will not affect you. It will affect others. Some other marketing efforts will be more your cup of tea, and you are right that HP should be bringing it in many different ways. This is one way. It is a good choice, but it is likely only one of many choices. Some will be celebrity endorsements, some will be average Joe, some will be showing the device do what it does...variety, it's a good thing.

OK, sorry again if I offended you. You stated your opinion, I stated mine, and the world is still here. Good! Now we can go on with our days!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Touchpad will have a Quicken App? I dont know if it's a slamdunk but that's cool. I've been using Quicken since early 2000 so I have been hoping for a Quicken app.
    I'm sorry. I don't know that to be the case, but I know that the iPad doesn't have it. That's why I think TouchPad should have it and highlight it. Without saying "Can Apple or iPad do this," everyone who has an iPad or has considered it would get the point.

Original quote from cardfan: "Still, if you're HP, you can't skip the "layers" either. Apple did their ground work and while many things are now a given with the ipad, a touchpad is unknown. . . "

I absolutely agree with you. I'm not stating that HP doesn't need to do the layers just that they don't sell all the things that are known for the phone. Show multitasking, but don't make the commercial about multitasking. The Dre video showed a lot of cool features w/o saying, "we are now showing you this. . ." Make those same sort of videos that make it obvious w/o saying it and then get a catchy wrap up phrase. Can you hear me now; it's everywhere you want to be; banking, reading, viewing, listening- "TouchPad for your pleasure."
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Be careful now... You're boomeranging.
    Is that the Beckham jersey in your closet talking? :P
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Why hate to say it.
    Because i would rather HP and webOS be in Apples position than Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    I would say they do the absolute best job at marketing.
    i agree.
    Because i would rather HP and webOS be in Apples position than Apple.

i agree.
    Good point, but that just shows how magnanimous and open minded you are. Even if you don't like it, you give credit where credit is due. Of course I'm not as magnanimous, I started the post say we WebOS users; but thought I should give you credit for your own statement. Know that I do so grudgingly (ha, ha).
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast