Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This might be a good read inmo.Especially this little snippet.

"HP doesn't spell it out, but this will likely include not only desktops and notebooks but also HP's WebOS tablets and smartphones. "Computing seat and cellular seat services are designed with security and collaboration capabilities to help the NASA team safely share information," HP said Thursday in a statement.

This is def one way to get WebOS on 100 million devices.Enjoy the full article.

http://www.crn.com/news/cloud/229402...d0Q**.ecappj03
    Last edited by prethadd81; 04/29/2011 at 07:14 PM.
    Nice.

The exact wording of the press release:
    "As a part of NASA’s Agency Consolidated End-User Service (ACES) Program, HP will modernize NASA’s entire end-user infrastructure by delivering a full range of personal computing services and devices to more than 60,000 users."

HP was the sole winner of this contract, up to 4 years and worth up to $2.5 billion. HP indicates it will then bring in small businesses to help it fulfill services needed. Presumably, that could also help HP further penetrate these small businesses with webOS.

("HP will be teaming with numerous small businesses to meet NASA’s small business participation guidelines and diverse mission needs." )

This should be front page news.

edit: Doing some further research, this contract was won in Dec 2010 but the Dec wire articles did not mention cellular devices unlike the press release HP put out today which contained the following sentence: "Computing seat and cellular seat services are designed with security and collaboration capabilities to help the NASA team safely share information,".

Interesting.

It appears also NASA was using Blackberries and Palm Treos a few years ago but not the iphone as they did not think it was "enterprise ready", I don't know whether that has changed.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...es-Contract-HP
    Last edited by bluenote; 04/28/2011 at 06:14 PM.
    Yeah, this is BIG news.
    The security selling point + portrait keyboards = lots of former BB users who jump ship.
    Strange this made the news again. I saw this back in December:

December 27 2010: H-P Wins Big Nasa Computing Contract.
  6.    #6  
    Agree 100% to all the above post.This is def a good thing.I like that they mentioned WebOS but even more so WebOS in phones. I think as long as Hpalm let the former Palm stay as it was minus the delays and bad commercials.WebOS will be more of a force to reckon with. Just picture all those scientist,computer nerds(nothing wrong with being a need) carrying WebOS devices. What's cooler then that? To say a nasa employee use the same phone I have for work.
    Last edited by prethadd81; 05/03/2011 at 05:29 PM.
    This is just the beginning !!
    ĦṔ-ḶÝōṫ-Ŧḯōη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I'm excited about the Touchpad and the Pre3, but until I see either solid sales and/or a lot more apps, it is going to be hard to get really excited.

The most important thing for me to remember is at the top this is HP's game now. I hope the Palm team keeps doing their thing, but I need to look at this as if this is HP's taking a shot at the big time and completely forget Palm has been there and done that.
    The touchpad will make into space first, thus trumping the iPad. Be interesting to see SJ top that.
    This is a general question, what benefits does webos security have over IOS?

IOS Encyption

Thanks
    I don't know the answer, but I would think of it this way. If iOS was very secure, then it would be adopted a lot quicker in Fortune 500 and other business enterprises.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post

IOS Encyption

Thanks
    I'd say management. I did consulting for a company that wanted me to incorporate iPhones and iPads into the IT management system just this year. I did a lot of research and calling but things like asset tracking and management are not possible on iOS. If a new employee get's an iPhone or want's to add their iPhone to the system, the IT department would have to manually right down the serial number and owners name and phone number. There is no software or system that can inventory iOS devices. There is no way to control iOS devices short of erasing the whole thing. Also things like LogMeIn Remote Assist which supports Android, Blackberry, Windows Mobile and Symbian has only limited support for Apple iOS (You can only set up email remotely).

In all I was frustrated trying to find a way to incorporate iOS devices and manage them. I evaluated many corporate asset management software products, were talking high-end $50k and up systems but none could do much for iOS. Apple has an 800 number for business customers but after leaving 5 messages I gave up after nobody returned any of my calls.

In short Apple doesn't care about corporate users and probably thinks 3rd party companies will take care of that but after what I learned no 3rd party could make iOS useful for corporate use because the core OS has to be changed which can only be done by Apple.
  13.    #13  
    Strange this made the news again. I saw this back in December:

http://December 27 2010: H-P Wins Bi...ting Contract.
    Yeah but the old article had no mention of any webos products.
  14.    #14  

IOS Encyption

Thanks
    Here's a good answer t your question.

Adding Adult Supervision to the Consumer/Enterprise Convergence

"Being a little old school, particularly on the enterprise side, represents another key advantage. HP today, is uniquely positioned to capitalize on the because this convergence requires some adult supervision that is lacking on the consumer side: The anti-establishment Apple play in the enterprise, along with the enterprise play coming from the Google/Android gang, poses some massive problems in terms of IT security and standards. Same with the use of social collaboration tools, and on-demand services like Gmail and Amazonís EC2. As these consumer devices and services proliferate in the enterprise, how a company can be sure that its IP isnít leaking out the door, or its employees arenít violating SARBOX, HIPAA, EU privacy regulations, etc. etc, or its service levels are unserviceable, becomes a major problem that the likes of Apple, Amazon, and Google canít understand and wonít solve.

Long-standing enterprise-savvy players like HP get it, and know how to provide grown-up service and support for these nascent technologies. And while this convergence is so new that we donít even know what the processes that drive the convergence necessarily are or will be, HPís position of enterprise strength, as well as excellence in key consumer endpoints like PCs, laptops, and printers, gives it much better street cred than its erstwhile enterprise or consumer competitors in terms of making the convergence a safe, serviceable, and profitable enterprise.

here's the link for the whole article.
  15.    #15  

IOS Encyption

Thanks

"Being a little old school, particularly on the enterprise side, represents another key advantage. HP today, is uniquely positioned to capitalize on the because this convergence requires some adult supervision that is lacking on the consumer side: The anti-establishment Apple play in the enterprise, along with the enterprise play coming from the Google/Android gang, poses some massive problems in terms of IT security and standards. Same with the use of social collaboration tools, and on-demand services like Gmail and Amazon’s EC2. As these consumer devices and services proliferate in the enterprise, how a company can be sure that its IP isn’t leaking out the door, or its employees aren’t violating SARBOX, HIPAA, EU privacy regulations, etc. etc, or its service levels are unserviceable, becomes a major problem that the likes of Apple, Amazon, and Google can’t understand and won’t solve.

Long-standing enterprise-savvy players like HP get it, and know how to provide grown-up service and support for these nascent technologies. And while this convergence is so new that we don’t even know what the processes that drive the convergence necessarily are or will be, HP’s position of enterprise strength, as well as excellence in key consumer endpoints like PCs, laptops, and printers, gives it much better street cred than its erstwhile enterprise or consumer competitors in terms of making the convergence a safe, serviceable, and profitable enterprise."

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-palm...ow-hp-yet.html
    Last edited by prethadd81; 04/29/2011 at 07:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I'd say management. I did consulting for a company that wanted me to incorporate iPhones and iPads into the IT management system just this year. I did a lot of research and calling but things like asset tracking and management are not possible on iOS. If a new employee get's an iPhone or want's to add their iPhone to the system, the IT department would have to manually right down the serial number and owners name and phone number. There is no software or system that can inventory iOS devices. There is no way to control iOS devices short of erasing the whole thing. Also things like LogMeIn Remote Assist which supports Android, Blackberry, Windows Mobile and Symbian has only limited support for Apple iOS (You can only set up email remotely).

In all I was frustrated trying to find a way to incorporate iOS devices and manage them. I evaluated many corporate asset management software products, were talking high-end $50k and up systems but none could do much for iOS. Apple has an 800 number for business customers but after leaving 5 messages I gave up after nobody returned any of my calls.

In short Apple doesn't care about corporate users and probably thinks 3rd party companies will take care of that but after what I learned no 3rd party could make iOS useful for corporate use because the core OS has to be changed which can only be done by Apple.
    What about Boxtone. What problems/pitfalls did you have with that?
    "To help IT organizations more efficiently and securely enable, deploy, enforce, protect and support iOS 4 devices, BoxTone is expanding its single unified mobile management console and MSM solution. As the user brings the smartphone into the enterprise, BoxTone takes over the management, configuring and securing of the smartphone for enterprise access. BoxTone then monitors and manages the end-to-end mobile lifecycle while continuously maintaining optimal mobile performance at a lower cost and risk to the enterprise."

What problems did you run into with Airwatch?
    Airwatch

Edit: General question for anybody, how do you envision the control of webos devices in the enterprise? Is there a method now? Do your think HP will make some enterprise app?

Thanks
    Last edited by sinsin07; 04/29/2011 at 09:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by runsweetlew View Post
    I don't know the answer, but I would think of it this way. If iOS was very secure, then it would be adopted a lot quicker in Fortune 500 and other business enterprises.
    Thank you for your response. However the response is speculation.

I realize you said Fortune 500, but what about the 100? Last I queried I saw numbers like 40 to 65 percent of the Fortune 100 companies have either adopted or are piloting iPads. How are they doing it if security is not there? Some of them are top financial institutions. I guess I better go to putting my money under my mattress.

What about the Airlines? A couple have adopted or are piloting iPads.
    What about Boxtone. What problems/pitfalls did you have with that?
    What problems did you run into with Airwatch?
    If things have changed since I last looked into this then that's great but I never believe the marketing claims on a website until I've been able to verify those claims in the real world and that's usually when you find the pitfalls.

Edit: General question for anybody, how do you envision the control of webos devices in the enterprise? Is there a method now? Do your think HP will make some enterprise app?
    Thanks
    WebOS is an open OS, the possibilities are limitless. HP has shown signs that they are working to make inroads into the enterprise market. Things like the Citrix client and other deals HP is making with enterprise corporations are starting to pop up. As we get closer to the launch of the TouchPad and the Pre3 HP will reveal more.
    Quote Originally Posted by prethadd81 View Post

"Being a little old school, particularly on the enterprise side, represents another key advantage. HP today, is uniquely positioned to capitalize on the because this convergence requires some adult supervision that is lacking on the consumer side: The anti-establishment Apple play in the enterprise, along with the enterprise play coming from the Google/Android gang, poses some massive problems in terms of IT security and standards. Same with the use of social collaboration tools, and on-demand services like Gmail and Amazonís EC2. As these consumer devices and services proliferate in the enterprise, how a company can be sure that its IP isnít leaking out the door, or its employees arenít violating SARBOX, HIPAA, EU privacy regulations, etc. etc, or its service levels are unserviceable, becomes a major problem that the likes of Apple, Amazon, and Google canít understand and wonít solve.

Long-standing enterprise-savvy players like HP get it, and know how to provide grown-up service and support for these nascent technologies. And while this convergence is so new that we donít even know what the processes that drive the convergence necessarily are or will be, HPís position of enterprise strength, as well as excellence in key consumer endpoints like PCs, laptops, and printers, gives it much better street cred than its erstwhile enterprise or consumer competitors in terms of making the convergence a safe, serviceable, and profitable enterprise."

You Don’t Know HP….Yet
    Unless the author gives some security specific loopholes that can't be addressed with currently available control platforms it's hogwash.

IOS devices are being controlled, locked down, and inventoried as I type.
    This is great news for sure. Can we change title of the article though? HP Services Scores 2.5bn dollar tax payer deal?

.... anyway.... on the merits of the deal, any news of expanding the footprint of webOS is a good thing to developer ears.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast