Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    This is great news for sure. Can we change title of the article though? HP Services Scores 2.5bn dollar tax payer deal?
    Er, not really unless you also include in the title $2.5 billion tax payer deal that mandates HP includes small businesses in its service offering and thereby possibly creating more jobs, (including those of developers) and thereby people possibly having more money for restaurants and dept stores etc and thereby possibly creating more jobs which might be a good thing in this economy as currently the private sector is a little slow to create new jobs, if you know what I mean and govt spending has been providing much needed help.

See what I mean? The title becomes impossibly long.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Unless the author gives some security specific loopholes that can't be addressed with currently available control platforms it's hogwash.

IOS devices are being controlled, locked down, and inventoried as I type.

Here are the pictures to prove it, you non-believers!
    http://www.crunchgear.com/wp-content...mfortably.jpeg

Last edited by deesugar; 04/29/2011 at 11:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Er, not really unless you also include in the title $2.5 billion tax payer deal that mandates HP includes small businesses in its service offering and thereby possibly creating more jobs, (including those of developers) and thereby people possibly having more money for restaurants and dept stores etc and thereby possibly creating more jobs which might be a good thing in this economy as currently the private sector is a little slow to create new jobs, if you know what I mean and govt spending has been providing much needed help.

See what I mean? The title becomes impossibly long.
    ........................... holy crap man.................... I hope you didn't stop reading my post at the quoted piece of satire you are decontructing. NASA is tax payer funded, thus the bit about it being a tax payer deal.

Having webOS in more places is definitely a good thing, which was the point of my post just below the part you quoted.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    ........................... holy crap man.................... I hope you didn't stop reading my post at the quoted piece of satire you are decontructing. NASA is tax payer funded, thus the bit about it being a tax payer deal.

Having webOS in more places is definitely a good thing, which was the point of my post just below the part you quoted.
    Sorry, please take it that I am directing it broadly to those who are watching too much simplified cable news on the issue of cutting govt spending (including myself)
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Here are the pictures to prove it, you non-believers!
    http://www.crunchgear.com/wp-content...mfortably.jpeg

Looks like webos. It has the ugly green and it has cards.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 04/29/2011 at 04:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by prethadd81 View Post
    Yeah but the old article had no mention of any webos products.
    Not to be debbie downer but that is exactly what would concern me. Webos seems to be mentioned only by the author of the article not by HP or the press release. Now it could be perfectly reasonable to bundle computers, tablets and phones. But that is author speculation. So i'd take it as such. I'd hope it happens but i wouldn't take it as a lock. This is a contract with HP Enterprise Solutions. That's not the department Palm is in either. I'm not saying they wouldn't try and bundle webos, tablets etc. They do say they are overhauling so maybe they say, "oh yeah you need to update your computers too, here's new ones and they have webos." It could happen. I'm just saying that that's the author speaking of webos and not much else. That said, If i had an interview, I'd just flat ask, "Hey Leo, does the Nasa deal include webos tablets, phones or laptops and how many?" Worst he could do is not answer.

Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    This is a general question, what benefits does webos security have over IOS?

IOS Encyption

Thanks
    i don't know a thing about security but i came across some interesting stuff googling.

This article that compares, blackberry, ios, windows mobile, and android security. it's a slide show and is probably old but the descriptions of different aspects of security see informative. Descriptions of Authentication, Data Vaulting, etc. iPhone Tops Android in Enterprise Security, Management - Enterprise Applications - News & Reviews - eWeek.com

This was interesting. Apparently there is a level of federal security certification that these devices strive for called FIPS-140-2 certification. Apparently most blackberries have this. But i came across an interesting article dated Jan of 2011 saying that Apple "submitted cryptographic modules to enhance iPhone security and iPad security to National Institute of Standards and Technology-accredited testing laboratories as part of the validation and certification process required under the Federal Information Security Management Act of 2002. Those standards are laid out in NIST's Federal Information Processing Standard Publication (FIPS) 140-2 " Apple seeks to better iPad, iPhone security via FIPS 140-2 compliance

I was unable to see if WebOS had this FIPS-140-2 certification yet. If anyone has any info on that that would be good to know. That would be one selling point for WebOS.

anyways i don't know if it's relevant or on point but i found it sort of interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    Not to be debbie downer but that is exactly what would concern me. Webos seems to be mentioned only by the author of the article not by HP or the press release. Now it could be perfectly reasonable to bundle computers, tablets and phones. But that is author speculation. So i'd take it as such. I'd hope it happens but i wouldn't take it as a lock. This is a contract with HP Enterprise Solutions. That's not the department Palm is in either. I'm not saying they wouldn't try and bundle webos, tablets etc. They do say they are overhauling so maybe they say, "oh yeah you need to update your computers too, here's new ones and they have webos." It could happen. I'm just saying that that's the author speaking of webos and not much else. That said, If i had an interview, I'd just flat ask, "Hey Leo, does the Nasa deal include webos tablets, phones or laptops and how many?" Worst he could do is not answer.

i don't know a thing about security but i came across some interesting stuff googling.

This article that compares, blackberry, ios, windows mobile, and android security. it's a slide show and is probably old but the descriptions of different aspects of security see informative. Descriptions of Authentication, Data Vaulting, etc. iPhone Tops Android in Enterprise Security, Management - Enterprise Applications - News & Reviews - eWeek.com

This was interesting. Apparently there is a level of federal security certification that these devices strive for called FIPS-140-2 certification. Apparently most blackberries have this. But i came across an interesting article dated Jan of 2011 saying that Apple "submitted cryptographic modules to enhance iPhone security and iPad security to National Institute of Standards and Technology-accredited testing laboratories as part of the validation and certification process required under the Federal Information Security Management Act of 2002. Those standards are laid out in NIST's Federal Information Processing Standard Publication (FIPS) 140-2 " Apple seeks to better iPad, iPhone security via FIPS 140-2 compliance

I was unable to see if WebOS had this FIPS-140-2 certification yet. If anyone has any info on that that would be good to know. That would be one selling point for WebOS.

anyways i don't know if it's relevant or on point but i found it sort of interesting.
    Thanks Blackmagic01, this is the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Most of the post above concerning security are more wishful thinking than fact.
    Now if I could only find more substantial information on webos...
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    Not to be debbie downer but that is exactly what would concern me. Webos seems to be mentioned only by the author of the article not by HP or the press release. Now it could be perfectly reasonable to bundle computers, tablets and phones. But that is author speculation.
    I hear you. It is HP, though, that threw in the line about "cellular seats" (see the edit in my post #2 above), suggesting the contract includes mobile. The writer speculates webOS from this. It may end up being a combo of webOS and blackberries but I'm sure HP is going to try hard to include webOS although that level of specification may yet to be determined given the fact that the TouchPad software is just being finished as we speak.
    It's in their new contract for end user equipment which includes mobile devices. WebOS 1.4.1.1 WiFi plays well at NASA but I haven't figure out why 1.4.5 doesn't. iPhones have issues. BB have been non-issues.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12