1.    #1  
    So... I've used Google voice before, but found it a little confusing where one service (Sprint) ended and the other (Google Voice) began. I wasn't sure if I was getting charged a forwarding charge for use Google Voice either, so I stopped.

Now, with the integration of the two, I have a few questions:

1) IS there a forwarding fee or am I being charged minutes while someone is leaving me a message?

2) It can be set to display my Google Voice number when calling others, but, what about when someone calls my cell number?

3) If they call my cell and it goes to voicemail, does it go to Google Voicemail or Sprint?

4) If it displays my Google Voice number to those I call, does it display their caller ID number to me, when they call me or I call them? I seem to recall a setting that would display only my Google Voice number, NOT caller ID.

Thanks!
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  2. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    So... I've used Google voice before, but found it a little confusing where one service (Sprint) ended and the other (Google Voice) began. I wasn't sure if I was getting charged a forwarding charge for use Google Voice either, so I stopped.

Now, with the integration of the two, I have a few questions:

1) IS there a forwarding fee or am I being charged minutes while someone is leaving me a message?

2) It can be set to display my Google Voice number when calling others, but, what about when someone calls my cell number?

3) If they call my cell and it goes to voicemail, does it go to Google Voicemail or Sprint?

4) If it displays my Google Voice number to those I call, does it display their caller ID number to me, when they call me or I call them? I seem to recall a setting that would display only my Google Voice number, NOT caller ID.

Thanks!
    The answers to your questions depend upon how you set up Google Voice for your phone. You don't have to use the new integration - it's just there if you want it. Personally, I prefer the old way - I have a Google Voice number and a Sprint number, and both ring my cell, and both get answered by Google Voicemail.

1) No, there is no forwarding fee and you are not charged a fee while someone is leaving you a message, regardless of whether you port your Sprint number over to Google or if you merely have Google Voice set as your voicemail instead of Sprint.

2) This depends on how you set up with Google. If you merely have Google Voice acting as your voicemail (don't port your Sprint number over to Google), then both your Google Voice number and your cell number will ring your phone and go into Google Voicemail if not answered. However, your SPRINT number will be the one shown when you make calls from your phone. If you port your Sprint number over to Google, then your Sprint phone number IS your GoogleVoice number, and it's the one that still shows. If you want to port your Google number over to Sprint, you can do that as well, and then you'll be getting rid of your Sprint number.

3) The whole point of integrating the two is to have Google Voicemail handling your calls. If you don't want this to occur, you shouldn't activate Google Voice for your Sprint phone under either option. I think you have 90 days to deactivate the Google Voice on your Sprint phone though if you activate it and then decide you don't like it.

4) I'm not clear on this question, but see prior replies. This goes back to the question of porting your Google Voice number over to Sprint, or Sprint number over to Google.

Also check out Sprint and Google Voice. This link might further help in answering some of your questions.

I hope the above has helped you out a little...
    Last edited by ay; 04/27/2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Correction