1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Have pasted the following section of an article which discusses the synergy between smartphone and pad device. I am including the link to the entire article, (please read it, I thought it put HP/Palm is a very good light)!
    Take care,

Jay

Tablet/ smartphone synergy: Ready for the next level
    By James Kendrick | April 14, 2011, 8:58am PDT

Tablet/ smartphone synergy: Ready for the next level | ZDNet

A better class of tablet/smartphone collaboration is coming with HPs TouchPad and Pre 3. The two devices will wirelessly talk to each other to provide the user with additional functionality. Using the webOS Touchstone technology designed for wireless battery charging, the owner of both devices can transfer information from one to the other by simply touching them. If you are surfing the web on the TouchPad and need to head out with the Pre 3, just touch the phone to the tablet and the web page address is instantly sent to the phone for continued browsing.

HP is not satisfied with that level of collaboration, it has even better stuff planned. The TouchPad and Pre 3 can be configured to always be talking to one another over Bluetooth. This means you can be using the tablet and with the phone tucked away in your pocket any SMS message that comes to the phone will instantly be shown on the tablet; this makes sense as the owner is using that device at the time. Calls are handled the same way on the tablet, which may not be ideal but in a pinch is better than fishing the phone out of the pocket. Its a much better way to see whos calling and reject the call.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    sure there would be an on off fiqure...i'm all for it...many times I use my pre for browsing while I'm at home on wifi..so I don't miss a call or text...when I'm on my laptop I tune things out and end up missing things
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    If your tablet is a commonly shared device, you keep that text forwarding feature off.

If your tablet is more of a personal device, you keep it on.

Choice is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    But then you have to remember to turn it on otherwise you will think texts and calls are being forwarded to the tablet but they are not. After that happens, most people will just keep their phone around.
    (After the first couple of times, I think you'd start remembering).
    (As for the second part....being that it's a BT connection, you already have your phone nearby, or at least that's the way I understood it).

I think the idea is you have your phone in your jacket pocket, or your holster or somewhere nearby, as per usual. Say you forget to re-connect the two. You may miss the first phone call or text, but as your phone is nearby, you still hear it ring. Then you say to yourself, "Gee, I forgot to re-sync the two, whoops " and then you re-sync.

Hardly sounds like an issue to me. No different than when I let someone play around with my phone and I get a text or phone call, they simply hand the phone back.

It's just easier than fiddling around trying to fish your phone out. (Or that's the way it seems to me).
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I simply do not see how these features are that compelling. The use case seems to envision one person with two devices needing content to go back and forth between them. I've been carrying around a smartphone and a tablet for the past year but have never found myself wanting to send something from the smartphone to the tablet. Both devices access the same email accounts and share the same web favorites which are sync'd. iBooks on iOS syncs automatically via the cloud so where you stop reading on your iPhone is where the iPad picks up the next time you open it.

I have never had the desire to answer a phone call or text message on my tablet. Often, someone else is using my tablet so I would never want messages automatically sent to the tablet. This kind of connectivity often turns out to be more trouble than it's worth. The ideal way is for an app to automatically sync what you are doing via the cloud using your account - not the device. That way you have all your content when you want it regardless of what device you are using.
    I can tell you for a fact that these features would be VERY useful to me. I'm not just saying this as a webOS fan either. The only thing that will scare me away from a touchpad at first is a lack of developer support.

1. I also have a tablet and a Pre. There have been countless times that I have been searching something on the phone and want to see a larger version. Photos are a great example. I might be searching about something to buy. I try to get a good look at the picture but its too small. It sure would be nice to simply touch-to-share with the ipad. Thats 1 case, but there are so many times this happens, its not even funny. And the other way around too.

2. I cannot believe you do not want to take phone calls or texts on the touchpad. This is the most intriguing aspect of all. This happens a lot. I'm texting away with my friend, battery is dying. Phone needs to be on the charger (which is in the bedroom), but I'm playing xbox in the living room. Problem solved...put phone on touchstone in bedroom, grab touchpad and continue chatting with it.

Also, there are many times where I have the ipad around the house. This eliminates the need for me to carry my phone around everywhere now also, since the tablet is such a better around-the-house browsing experience.

It's not the end-all, be-all of features....but what is nowadays? Do you really need "retina display"? No. But its a differentiator.

This is how great products become great. They start with small things that are convenient and they keep churning out more and more small, convenient features. It evolutionary. Mix that will developer ingenuity and eventually you get something that is revolutionary.

I'm just happy that HP is innovating and giving us something new and exciting to look forward to.
    Last edited by Spade; 04/18/2011 at 01:34 PM.
  6.    #6  
    I simply do not see how these features are that compelling. The use case seems to envision one person with two devices needing content to go back and forth between them. I've been carrying around a smartphone and a tablet for the past year but have never found myself wanting to send something from the smartphone to the tablet. Both devices access the same email accounts and share the same web favorites which are sync'd. iBooks on iOS syncs automatically via the cloud so where you stop reading on your iPhone is where the iPad picks up the next time you open it.

I have never had the desire to answer a phone call or text message on my tablet. Often, someone else is using my tablet so I would never want messages automatically sent to the tablet. This kind of connectivity often turns out to be more trouble than it's worth. The ideal way is for an app to automatically sync what you are doing via the cloud using your account - not the device. That way you have all your content when you want it regardless of what device you are using.
    Hi all,

I would think people should hold off on negative responses to this until this feature is exploited with software/apps.

I currently don't even see the need for a pad device. but I'm sure that there will be apps that will make it a desirable feature for many people.

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I agree that it's too early to be declaring success or failure about something that isn't out yet... let's wait for the apps... and I say that as someone that thought the iPad would flop because it was just a big iPhone that couldn't make calls. I kinda missed that one, you might say...

And here is a BRILIANT article about how HP can really win with the TouchPad:
    HP, here’s how you can win in mobile This is my next…
    to each their own for sure

thou some may not feel this is a necessary feature, I don't feel apps are a necessary feature.

Having options is a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post

And here is a BRILIANT article about how HP can really win with the TouchPad:
    HP, heres how you can win in mobile This is my next
    Made even more brilliant since I've basically been saying the same thing the past few months :P Integrate third party apps into its core apps using synergy and combined with true multitasking and webOS notifications... Pandora, slacker, others to its music. Skype or other voip to phone app. And so on. More like plug-ins to core apps.