1.    #1  
    Is there any way to use the phone's ringtones (polyphonic; sound great) as DateBook alarms? The standard, flat, 'beep-beep' of the DateBook alarms are way too soft and boring.
  2.    #2  
    Q) Any plans to allow DateBook to use the Treo 300's MIDI ringtone library as the alarms for for DateBook?

A) DateBk5 uses the standard MIDI Database for its alarm sounds. I'm not familiar with what Handspring does on the TREO. I would not have thought they would have used a non-standard database for their MIDI sounds. Do you happen to know if the problem that they have a database in an incompatible format? or if there are two or more databases and DateBk5 is not using the
    Handspring version?

If you are a power user and able to tinker around a bit, it would be helpful if you could install attached file utility, TomCatalog and see what MIDI sound databases you have.

The standard one is called System MIDI Sounds and has a type of smfr and a creat of psys.

Cheers!
    CESD, Pimlico Software, Inc.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for responding! I installed the file and tinkered around. What I found is that there is a file called 'MIDI Ring Tones' of type 'smfr' and a creat of type 'MCnl', as well as 'System MIDI Sounds' of type 'smfr' and a creat of 'psys'. After reading TreoCentral forums I have learned that supposedly DateBook plays the standard Palm-supported MIDI player which is 'single-voice', while the Treo's phone ringer app plays 128-voice MIDI
    tunes. It would seem that DateBook would need to access Handsprings extensions to the Palm OS(?) in order to access their 128-voice MIDI player (if you get a chance to hear it, it is very impressive; sounds like a full band or orchestra is coming out of my phone when it rings ).
    Some apps out there like 'Ringo' edit the 'MIDI Ring Tones' library and append new ring tones to it. Actually, it even will take the standard 7 alarms (SciFi, etc.) and incorporate them if asked (also sounds very nice as a 'polyphonic' tune). Going the other way, it can also take the various ringtones and append them to the 'System MIDI Sounds' lib so they can be used as alarms, but then all but one of the song's voices are silenced . Sort of like a philharmonic orchestra being reduced to a single bell.
    In any case, if I keep the Treo (have till the end of the month to
    decide) I will be purchasing your most excellent program to go with it. I had just been wondering if specific support for the Treo was planned for the future, like handling the vibrating alarms, the jog dial, and, of course, accessing the Treo's muliple-voiced player for alarms. Thank you again for responding.
  4.    #4  
    Q) Any plans to allow DateBook to use the Treo 300's MIDI ringtone library as the alarms for for DateBook?

A) DateBk5 uses the standard MIDI Database for its alarm sounds. I'm not familiar with what Handspring does on the TREO. I would not have thought they would have used a non-standard database for their MIDI sounds. Do you happen to know if the problem that they have a database in an incompatible format? or if there are two or more databases and DateBk5 is not using the
    Handspring version?

If you are a power user and able to tinker around a bit, it would be helpful if you could install attached file utility, TomCatalog and see what MIDI sound databases you have.

The standard one is called System MIDI Sounds and has a type of smfr and a creat of psys.

Cheers!
    CESD, Pimlico Software, Inc.