Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK... Check this out...

I've got these two amazingly awesome phone designs
    IN MY VERY HANDS, AT THIS VERY SECOND!!

Perhaps you've heard of them? They're called the Palm Pre and Palm Pixi....

They were made for me. They're just the perfect dimensions all around. I decided to stick with Palm because I felt like they kept that "Zen of Palm" thing going on and obviously must've been carrying around a couple wooden blocks w/ the exact dimensions of both these phones. They knew exactly how my hand would want to grope these babies. Ruby and Palm had more than luck to get those dimensions like they did. They had EXPERIENCE.

OK... fast forward to today. Pre2, GREAT! But it's not for Sprint.

What about the Pre3? Well, it's larger than the Pre/Pre2, and there's no possible way that I could find using the page up/down buttons (multimod patch) in landscape mode to be comfortable with the Pre3. There's just no way. Similarly, if I wanted a device that chunky, I'd just get an EVO 3D or Kyocera Echo or something. So... no Pre3 for me.

At least there's still the Pixi, right? Wait.. Whaaaa?? NO MORE PIXI? Are you serious? What's this? They've replaced the Pixi with "the Veer"? Umm.. CUUUUTE! OK, so I can imagine the dimensions in my hand. Pixi minus the keyboard. Seems a bit TOO small to me, as if it would slip out of my hands a bit too often. Needing to ball my hand into a fist, in order to clinch my phone, seems rather unnecessary to me. Whatever... I like the slider of my Pre, so maybe the miniature size will be bearable. Wait.. WHAAAA?? No LED Flash? No built-in 3.5mm audio jack? No built-in microUSB jack? [i]AND[i] no user-replaceable battery? SURELY YOU GUYS AREN'T SERIOUS!!! Oh, you are serious...

Well.... what about me?? What about the other Treo/Centro lovers? They're supposed to just KEEP WAITING?? For how long?? After Mantaray, Stingray, Fishfry, and Monkeyfishfrog??? OK, Then.. So... can we get a timeframe?? Why is "the Palm Base" being thrown under the bus? A slab before a candybar??? I might as well just get an HTC slab if they're offering way more hardware bang for my buck, wouldn't you agree??

Was there something wrong with the Pixi that I'm unaware of, besides Palm totally forgetting to double the RAM on the Pixi Plus??? The Pixi has everything BUILT-IN (3.5mm audio, microUSB, *and* LED flash). It was ALREADY DESIGNED; it required NO r&d. It has user-replaceable batteries that even fit the Centro, Pre, & Pre2 and vice-versa. It even offers an AMAZING grip on the phone, whereas my pinky finger will likely be hanging off of the Veer. And, of course, I wouldn't be afraid to throw the Pixi, if need be, while I'd be hesitant to throw a slider, even if my life were in danger.

Why does HP/Palm want me to use my upgrade credit on an HTC EVO 3D or Kyocera Echo? That's what I want to know...

Was it really too convenient to simply double the RAM in the Pixi? I mean... I understand that'd still be unacceptable to reviewers and enthusiasts, alike... but then what was so hard about putting the Veer guts inside the Pixi and keeping the design as it is??

I'm starting to understand the exodus of Palm management/developers now. HP doesn't get the Zen of Palm; they get "scale", tho. Understood.

But I know what I want, and I've known what I've wanted for several years now. I want a Pixi2. GIMME MY PIXI2, BUT CHANGE THE FRICKIN' NAME!!! GARRRRRGHH!!!

P.S. - Please do not make this into a thread where you tell me how much of a monkey you are because you have 15 Touchstones and use them the second you walk into a room/automobile, and how you listen to your janky $100 Bluetooth headphones every day, and you're even capable of recharging those headphones every other day, as well. I'm no freaking monkey, man!!

Why not just make a "modern-day Treo" for Pete's sake?? DING! DING! DING! There's a novel idea!!

/// Back to my Cave
    From just this post I judge that you're intelligent, have some time on your hands (at least occasionally) and you are familiar with meta-doctor.

Sounds like you need to Sprintify a Pre 2 to me!

Sorry HP hates you. At least webOS Internals loves you!
    I boggles my mind that palm would do away with the pre size phone and just go with very big and very small. I am trying to go the pre2 on sprint myself. Maybe they just didnt want to release another phone that size so soon after the pre2. Maybe they will bring it back and bring back the centro name (I hope)

As for the Sprint issue that one has got me stumped. I assume that its Sprint's fault since they were disappointed with the pre and now they think they are onto something with the evo line. I dont know how come people are killing themselves to buy these things. I made a phone call on my friends evo the other day and it was the strangest thing holding something that big to my face. And the looks of androd is so messy, my god I could never use one after using a pre. Go figure.

All I know is the hassle I am going through (cost) to get the phone I want on Sprint is testing me to my limits. I should just get a trackphone and be done with this smartphone business.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    OK... Check this out...

I've got these two amazingly awesome phone designs
    IN MY VERY HANDS, AT THIS VERY SECOND!!

Perhaps you've heard of them? They're called the Palm Pre and Palm Pixi....

They were made for me. They're just the perfect dimensions all around. I decided to stick with Palm because I felt like they kept that "Zen of Palm" thing going on and obviously must've been carrying around a couple wooden blocks w/ the exact dimensions of both these phones. They knew exactly how my hand would want to grope these babies. Ruby and Palm had more than luck to get those dimensions like they did. They had EXPERIENCE.

OK... fast forward to today. Pre2, GREAT! But it's not for Sprint.

What about the Pre3? Well, it's larger than the Pre/Pre2, and there's no possible way that I could find using the page up/down buttons (multimod patch) in landscape mode to be comfortable with the Pre3. There's just no way. Similarly, if I wanted a device that chunky, I'd just get an EVO 3D or Kyocera Echo or something. So... no Pre3 for me.

At least there's still the Pixi, right? Wait.. Whaaaa?? NO MORE PIXI? Are you serious? What's this? They've replaced the Pixi with "the Veer"? Umm.. CUUUUTE! OK, so I can imagine the dimensions in my hand. Pixi minus the keyboard. Seems a bit TOO small to me, as if it would slip out of my hands a bit too often. Needing to ball my hand into a fist, in order to clinch my phone, seems rather unnecessary to me. Whatever... I like the slider of my Pre, so maybe the miniature size will be bearable. Wait.. WHAAAA?? No LED Flash? No built-in 3.5mm audio jack? No built-in microUSB jack? [i]AND[i] no user-replaceable battery? SURELY YOU GUYS AREN'T SERIOUS!!! Oh, you are serious...

Well.... what about me?? What about the other Treo/Centro lovers? They're supposed to just KEEP WAITING?? For how long?? After Mantaray, Stingray, Fishfry, and Monkeyfishfrog??? OK, Then.. So... can we get a timeframe?? Why is "the Palm Base" being thrown under the bus? A slab before a candybar??? I might as well just get an HTC slab if they're offering way more hardware bang for my buck, wouldn't you agree??

Was there something wrong with the Pixi that I'm unaware of, besides Palm totally forgetting to double the RAM on the Pixi Plus??? The Pixi has everything BUILT-IN (3.5mm audio, microUSB, *and* LED flash). It was ALREADY DESIGNED; it required NO r&d. It has user-replaceable batteries that even fit the Centro, Pre, & Pre2 and vice-versa. It even offers an AMAZING grip on the phone, whereas my pinky finger will likely be hanging off of the Veer. And, of course, I wouldn't be afraid to throw the Pixi, if need be, while I'd be hesitant to throw a slider, even if my life were in danger.

Why does HP/Palm want me to use my upgrade credit on an HTC EVO 3D or Kyocera Echo? That's what I want to know...

Was it really too convenient to simply double the RAM in the Pixi? I mean... I understand that'd still be unacceptable to reviewers and enthusiasts, alike... but then what was so hard about putting the Veer guts inside the Pixi and keeping the design as it is??

I'm starting to understand the exodus of Palm management/developers now. HP doesn't get the Zen of Palm; they get "scale", tho. Understood.

But I know what I want, and I've known what I've wanted for several years now. I want a Pixi2. GIMME MY PIXI2, BUT CHANGE THE FRICKIN' NAME!!! GARRRRRGHH!!!

P.S. - Please do not make this into a thread where you tell me how much of a monkey you are because you have 15 Touchstones and use them the second you walk into a room/automobile, and how you listen to your janky $100 Bluetooth headphones every day, and you're even capable of recharging those headphones every other day, as well. I'm no freaking monkey, man!!

Why not just make a "modern-day Treo" for Pete's sake?? DING! DING! DING! There's a novel idea!!

/// Back to my Cave
    Well, as I've posted elsewhere ... Palm is GONE, Only HP exists. The real talent that was Palm is mostly gone. HP forte is hardware, not software, which does not bode well. My Treo 7xx was the most productive device I have ever owned. I'm still trying to just get my VZ Pre 2 to work! HP is going to do their software thing (Really, do you need all of those duplicate programs on their PCs? You know, the ones that do the same thing as the Microsoft ones but don't work as well!) You are going to see limited functionality in the TouchPad when released. A whole lot of stuff will be "coming soon", "fixed soon" or will be here by "late this year"! I'm going with a iPad 2 soon and after that I think I will be using most of the functionality on the Pre 2 actually on the iPad 2, except for phone calls. So time will tell ...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    From just this post I judge that you're intelligent, have some time on your hands (at least occasionally) and you are familiar with meta-doctor.

Sounds like you need to Sprintify a Pre 2 to me!
    If I decide to do that, it will likely be when Pre 2s are going for $100 or less on ebay, and I've been using an Android phone for many, many, many months...

I just want a Pixi w/ a legitimate amount of RAM. Is that too much to ask for?? IS IT?!?

It's an interesting question the OP poses. I've always said Palm needed a slab but that's to help HP/Palm, not me personally. It's the most popular form factor and they need it..nuff said.

But with their focus on "prosumers" it would make total sense to go with a centro/pixi type form factor as well. Not a "beginner" phone, not a "starter" phone, but one beefed up as much as possible. In the spirit of the Centro which was faster than previous Treos. I wouldn't have ever upgraded to a Centro way back when if it had been a slower, smaller treo with less features and lesser res screen. Instead the Centro had a bit sharper screen, came with more software (docs to go, ptunes, etc), and just seemed more designed for Palm OS.

Almost every blog or news source that refers to the Centro's past seems to miss these key points while only mentioning the low prices or "starter phone" stuff.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    It's just a sticky as hell situation, which I hope is over in 12mths time. The Palm Inc woes and the delays etc associated with the acquisition etc. Hell, be thankful, Australia has a total of ZERO webOS devices. I do agree though the current situation is pretty drab.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Why does HP/Palm hate me? :'( by grndslm 06:07 AM 04/16/2011 -- [Reply] [!!]

Vent dude vent.....i understand!!

9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    But with their focus on "prosumers" it would make total sense to go with a centro/pixi type form factor as well. Not a "beginner" phone, not a "starter" phone, but one beefed up as much as possible. In the spirit of the Centro which was faster than previous Treos. I wouldn't have ever upgraded to a Centro way back when if it had been a slower, smaller treo with less features and lesser res screen. Instead the Centro had a bit sharper screen, came with more software (docs to go, ptunes, etc), and just seemed more designed for Palm OS.

Almost every blog or news source that refers to the Centro's past seems to miss these key points while only mentioning the low prices or "starter phone" stuff.
    THANK YOU!!!

Numerous people in the Veer sub-forum keep saying that the Centro was popular due to its smaller size. That is absolutely crap. If it was slower than the Treo, then nobody would have bought it.

The Centro sold well because it was FASTER, because the 5-way controls were MUCH better (people could actually find the center button, whereas center meant "up" to n00bs using Treos), and because of the built-in software.

It lost out on battery life (but it was still replaceable!!) and indicator lights, but not a huge deal because as the Palm is connected to my palm, I can simply turn the screen on at any time to check statuses.

Without the speed increase, however... the Centro wouldn't have sold. The reason that the Treos never sold because it wasn't SNAPPY. There was no torque in starting/switching between apps. The Treos seemed slower, until you started opening up Engaget (which is a site in excess of 1 MB) or other large webpages. Again, I could deal with the slower web browsing because the Centro software was snappier the other 99% of the day.

The underlying problem in *all* of Palm's previous products, including the Foleo, has been MEMORY. Why don't they start making sure that we never need to swap?? There's no excuse for scrimping on RAM so that people return your product and dog it out in reviews.

And to the guy who suggested I try other sizes, form factors. NO!! I don't need a huge screen. I like the Pixi/Veer/Pre screens just fine. I *need* a keyboard, however. And I really, really, really *want* everything BUILT-IN, not dangling accessories that I'm absolutely not going to carry with me 100% of the time. I got into smartphones for the ALL-IN-ONE device. NOT the most pocketable, cutest looking thing you've ever seen that comes with attachments to lose and not have with me all the time.

I have this feeling that the reason Sprint didn't want the Veer, Pre2 because of no WiMax chip, so no incentive to charge the extra $10/mo. But now that everybody's getting that extra $10/mo charge... I don't see why Sprint would be against offering the Veer, Pre2.

Whatever.... I'm just sick of HP/Palm always skirting around what people actually want. It's ALWAYS 1 step forward, 2 steps back. ALWAYS!!

Whoever came up with the Pixi/Pre designs/dimensions, you are a god amongst men.
    Whoever trashed those designs/dimensions, I hope you rot in .
  10.    #10  
    HAH...

I just feel like there's these "windows of opportunity" that they keep passing by.

Give Blackberry users something that will make them want to jump ship, for example... a Pixi with enough memory.

By the time they get around to making that, the Blackberry is going to have "re-solidified" their Base, just like HP/Palm is FAILING to do.

Would Blackberry users be more willing to get a Veer or a Pixi w/ double RAM... hmm....??? I wonder...

Obviously, HP doesn't give a crap. They're still focused on the endpoints of that "scale" you hear 'em talking about all the time...
    i just ordered a pixi on thursday. love the form factor. agree with op: just give it a different name and the internals of the veer
    <sighs at melodrama>

If you don't like the current offerings, and can't wait for something else, then go buy another phone... I really like webOS, and have had my Pre for 16 months, I'm due for an upgrade in 4 days. Other than a busted volume button, my Pre is hanging in there. If it decides to crap out, or I break/lose it, there's 3 phones, albeit Android, that are sitting there waiting patiently for someone like me to come in and get one of them.

I'm sure I won't be disappointed by the kazillions of apps, and the speed in which they operate. If I so happen to get one of these phones and 6 months later, HP comes up with something great.....am I going to be disappointed? No, because I will have something that is already good. If HP's phone is THAT great, it'll still be around by the time I'm due for another one in a few years.

</end sigh>
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    "Too big" was the comment about half the time, when I've asked people why they don't use a smartphone, so I think you have lots of company.
    I'm going to give the Echo a try tomorrow, while waiting for the next Sprint WebOS phone.
  14.    #14  
    Did you ask them if "the Pixi" was too big for them??

I'd just think that if HP would want to make a PROFIT, they'd use a STELLAR, TIME-PROVEN design. Not simply make something just because they can, but making something to blow the doors off the freaking market.

I really suggest they get a Pixi2-esque phone on all the carriers... like yesterday... starting with Sprint. They really shouldn't care about your phones not having 4G now. Just point to their own policies. HP's gonna have to start paying attention to what happens with all the carriers now... and what it is that you have and RIM, WP7 don't have.

webOS lost an opportunity with Android in marketing. Now they're missing corporate windows as bigger, badder software guys come for your throats.

Control the hardware all you'd like, but you can't beat the Pixi's form factor, external design... unless you give it a DIFFERENT name. Any name, really...
    Yes, the only way to assert your masculinity is to have a phone not called "Pixi". You don't want people to think you're gay or something, right??? You wouldn't want to be seen with Pixi all the time. Fondling Pixi on the subway. No!

No, you want to walk around with Butch. Feel Butch's strength in your hands every day. If people ask you about your phone, say "that's my Butch and I love him, I think of him every waking minute". Have Butch in your pants most of the time.

Ahh, Butch. So much better than Pixi. Girls are so ICKY!
  16.    #16  
    I *use* the Pixi every day since I've had it.

As soon as SERO opened up to SERO Premium, I bought a Pixi for $50 to use as a phone.

It's an amazing phone. My friends love it. They hate the Pre. I'm not sure why. They're more in love with the looks of the Pixi than I am, honestly. But when I ask why they don't like the Pre2, even... even tho they've never seen it. They just say, "the Pre's finished", "the media hates it", etc. I get that same impression, myself, honestly. And now that there's no LEGITIMATE candybar phone for 2011 ('cept maybe from RIM!), I'm starting to wonder how in the world HP is going to SELL anymore phones than Palm did.

They ask me what the name of the phone is... I "cringe". I tell them, they don't care so much.

But it's about when you're ADVERTISING and trying to get it IN THE MINDS OF MEN. They're not even going to consider it. When a guy hears the word Pixi, it's like a signal/noise ratio dealy where you just shut your brain down for a second, because all you hear is high-pitched static.

My mother is a soap opera freak and her screenname is like pixiequeen or pixielady or some cringe-worthy name like that.

I don't understand what's so hard about coming up with a gender-neutral name.

Why does everything have to be SO POLARAZING?!? Smallest phone w/ no built-in features... oorrrr..... Incredibly large phone that will be quite difficult to type with one-handed, yet still not enough features to look good when compared to the competition??? Why must it be that way?

Why must you keep using "Pre" and "Pixi" as names?

Seriously... pick up a dictionary and you can find a million words that would suit better. Heck, create your own word. It would take 30 minutes of good brainstorming, and better names could be found.

How about...

the HP TOCKER??
    the HP VoiceChip??
    the HP Raggamuffin?
    the HP Centrifuge?
    the HP Clink?
    the HP SlideRail?
    the HP Shoebox?
    the HP Flipstick?
    the HP Snap?
    the HP Snapper?
    the HP Gravitron?
    the HP Armstrong?
    the HP Dragon?
    the HP Sapphire?

I mean... ... ANYTHING but Pixi!! Sapphire could be seen as feminine, but it's NOT polarizing... becuase it's a freaking rock. W-T- Fart is a pixi? It's a freaking fairy?!?!?! Are you serious?? Why not just call it the Palm Homosexual??

Releasing a phone, in America, that's called a PIXI... is equivalent to releasing a Chevy, in Mexico, called the NOVA.

It's not about me; it's about IMPRESSIONS amongst people who are subjective.

I REPEAT: It's not about people who already have a Pixi. It's about those who've never let the concept inside their heads.

Who are the people at HP/PALM who think that Pre/Pixi are STELLAR names??
    Who are the people at HP/PALM who think that 256MB is ACCEPTABLE amount of RAM?
    Who are the people at HP that think the Pre/Pixi form factors weren't ADEQUATE to take over the world?
    Who are the people at PALM who think that introducing your flagship phone with the borg queen and NOT ACTUALLY SHOWING THE BENEFITS OF THE PHONE is going to be succesful?

WHO THE FREAK ARE THESE PEOPLE???

Line them up against a wall and FIRE!!

I'm more ****ed about my late paycheck than you about an unreleased phone, and I'll tell you ....you're acting like a baby about the whole thing.

Are you done now???

Get a grip!!
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    They already have announced the Pixi2 and changed its name Welcome to the Veer. Same screen and everything. If you are conserned about the change in dimension, every person who handled one loved it and described it like a large smooth pebble in their hand. Sound nice?

In a few weeks you can handle one for your self.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Can you really blame the OP for venting, even if it sounds like minor gripes to you? HP isn't handling anything better than Palm if you ask me!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Can you really blame the OP for venting, even if it sounds like minor gripes to you? HP isn't handling anything better than Palm if you ask me!
    +1

The great thing about my Treo 7xx phones were that I could type one-handed with them. That was something I missed on the Pre ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast