Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33
  1. jkeitz's Avatar
    Posts
    318 Posts
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    It's the New World Order way....live under fear.

    Don't let the radiation from Japan get you in California

    Go get your vaccination for Swine Flu

    Get your survival kit for Y2K

    Better get the WMD out of Iraq



    People, in the masses, are stupid and believe anything you tell them, thanks to the holy internet that knows all and NEVER lies.

    Somebody is making a LOT of money off of the rest of the world's paranoia and ignorance.

    And they aren't getting a dime out of me
    You could put this to music. It sounds like a Green Day song!
  2. #22  
    Engadget recently did an article on cell phones and brain activity. It was found that the use of a cell phone definitely increases brain activity by something like 7% but they don't know yet if its good activity or bad. I'm going to be positive and say using my Palm Preezy is increasing my IQ on a daily basis.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    You could put this to music. It sounds like a Green Day song!
    Post of the week!
  4. Freshyz's Avatar
    Posts
    905 Posts
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    How did they take that test? You can't be in an MRI with a phone. An EGK would be affected by leakage from the phone itself. So how did they show brain activity with a phone next to it?
    I'm not quite sure I just caught it when I was headin out the door to work. It aired last week and I can't find any YouTube clips of it yet but this was from an earlier show on the same subject.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL1q1cEH-cg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

    I'm not really surprised or even alarmed at the studies but it's good to be informed as new evidence is released..
  5. jkeitz's Avatar
    Posts
    318 Posts
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    I'm not quite sure I just caught it when I was headin out the door to work. It aired last week and I can't find any YouTube clips of it yet but this was from an earlier show on the same subject.



    I'm not really surprised or even alarmed at the studies but it's good to be informed as new evidence is released..
    But that's kinda' what I'm saying here. I don't think what they are going for here is testable. Likewise, any claim to an increase in a certain kind of cancer since cell phones became widely used would also be nothing more than correlation, not causation, since there are way too many variables.

    Information is fine, but you have to remember your basic physics when reading the information. If someone releases information that sunscreen may cause skin cancer, you should dismiss such information.
  6. Freshyz's Avatar
    Posts
    905 Posts
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    #26  
    Okay I found the link to the video I was referring to but he doesn't say exactly what equipment was used to perform the test.

    The Truth Behind The Headlines, Pt 5. | The Dr. Oz Show

    I myself will not really alter how i use a phone as I already use a headset piece if I know I am going to have long conversations and I will use a Touchpad in my lap when it's available and not think twice about it.
    It is what it is..
    Everybody wants some!..
  7. #27  
    Radar guns emit non-ionizing radiation, so they are completely safe too. Tell that to the numerous traffic cops with tumors on their thighs from resting the radar gun there when they weren't using it.

    Policeman Sues Firm, Saying Radar Gun Caused Cancer - Hartford Courant

    There have been lawsuits against radar gun manufacturers, but so far, the link between radar guns and tumors is anecdotal. Anecdotal means that no causality could be proven, but it does not mean that no causality exists. Some states have already banned the use of radar guns.

    Connecticut Bans Use Of Hand-held Radar Guns - Orlando Sentinel

    I have my own personal experience on this subject. I used to carry my Motorola Q using a ClipHanger, suspended upside-down from the belt loop nearest my fly. This was very convenient, as I could just lift up the phone while it was still attached in order to look at the screen. But it also put the phone's antenna right next to my... well you get the idea. Anyway, I don't feel like sharing the rest of the story as it gets rather personal, and it would all probably be anecdotal in a court of law anyway. But f*** that. I don't need any more convincing.

    Have I stopped using a cell phone? No. But I'm certainly much more mindful of how I carry it and use it. For you skeptics, consider this. There is a LOT of pressure from a lot of large corporations to ensure that the cellular market is not endangered. If you don't think that matters... It certainly wouldn't be the first time the corporate world tried to hide a danger from consumers in order to make a buck.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  8. #28  
    Just found an old photo of me wearing my Q, so you can get a better idea of what I was talking about:

    http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/9...g1845dl.th.jpg
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  9. #29  
    OPs claim is highly unlikely to be true.

    And it's very simple to check. Cell phone use exploded during the last 2 decades.
    It went up from hardly anybody using cell phones to almost everybody using them (at least in the industrialized world, but even developing countries have tons of cell phones).

    If cell phones had significant effect on brain cancer rates - then brain cancer rates should have risen over that time.
    If they had a considerable effect on brain cancer, then the incident rates should have exploded by now. Only a minority of people have particular genetic predispositions for brain cancer - but almost everybody is using cell phones every day.

    And yet I can't find a statistics that shows such increase. In fact I found a statistic showing a slight decrease from the 90s to 2002.

    Also we humans tend to worry about the wrong things. The stuff that scares us the most (Ebola, cell phone radiation, Zombies) kill the least number of people. OTOH the big killers often get not as much any attention (Malaria, traffic, alcohol abuse) - because we are so used to them.

    People worry about cell phones and then die from fat.

    Somebody is trying to sell a book.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  10. #30  
    The effects of carcinogens can take much more than 2 decades to manifest themselves.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  11. jkeitz's Avatar
    Posts
    318 Posts
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    OPs claim is highly unlikely to be true.

    And it's very simple to check. Cell phone use exploded during the last 2 decades.
    It went up from hardly anybody using cell phones to almost everybody using them (at least in the industrialized world, but even developing countries have tons of cell phones).

    If cell phones had significant effect on brain cancer rates - then brain cancer rates should have risen over that time.
    If they had a considerable effect on brain cancer, then the incident rates should have exploded by now. Only a minority of people have particular genetic predispositions for brain cancer - but almost everybody is using cell phones every day.

    And yet I can't find a statistics that shows such increase. In fact I found a statistic showing a slight decrease from the 90s to 2002.

    Also we humans tend to worry about the wrong things. The stuff that scares us the most (Ebola, cell phone radiation, Zombies) kill the least number of people. OTOH the big killers often get not as much any attention (Malaria, traffic, alcohol abuse) - because we are so used to them.

    People worry about cell phones and then die from fat.

    Somebody is trying to sell a book.
    In fact, if anything you may be seeing the results of hormesis, whereby exposure to many toxins and radiation at a low level, but higher than what makes most people and governments panic, results in lower rates of cancer, etc. We may actually see widespread cell phone use lowering brain cancers. Who knows?
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    The effects of carcinogens can take much more than 2 decades to manifest themselves.
    Of course.

    In individual cases. It's statistics.
    While many individual cases can take a very long time - some percentage will develop relatively quickly.

    If cell phones had a non-negligable effect on cancer, then, given the extreme explosion of cell phone use, we should see at least a gradual rise in brain tumors - even if it is a long-term effect on average.
    I looked for brain tumor statistics. From what I could find the rates went up *and* down over the years. And small increases could be just due to better diagnostics.

    And if brain cancer caused by cell phones takes 50+ years to show up in statistics - don't worry too much - you'll likely die of heart disease or household accident before that. A lot of the increase of cancer rates during the 20th century is due to much higher life expectancy. The longer the average person lives - the higher the chance that cancer might be the killer.

    With every new technology there are worries that there is a detrimental health effect. And sometimes there is. But often it's just fear of the new. When trains were new some people claimed that humans can't take speeds over 40 km/h.

    Every time you go out in the sun you head is exposed to various forms of radiation. But we're used to that so nobody assumes that it's a problem.
    But when it's a manufactured device there is a sudden assumption of guilt.

    Even if it has an effect - it could be positive instead of negative.

    But so far the data points to there being not much, if any, effect.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  13. #33  
    In the running and training world it is held as fact that there is a correlation between cell phone usage/exposure and decreased testerone levels.

    You can find a lot of high profile Olympian athletes and coaches who refuse to carry/use cell phones because of the effect that they have on testerone levels.

    I myself have been able to see a correlation in my testerone levels and the use of my cell phone. I have resolved not to carry my pre with me unless absolutely neccessary.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions