1.    #1  
    Do you think that when the phone is released, they will rename it or keep the Pre 3 name. Not that I don't like it, but if HP is trying to "rebrand" WebOS why keep the name of a failing phone? What do you guys think? Maybe it will be called HP MYTE
    After the HPre3 is released, i think HP should call their next flagship phone the HP Palm or the HP Palm One.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    After the HPre3 is released, i think HP should call their next flagship phone the HP Palm or the HP Palm One.
    Keep the old names, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    The Palm name is dead.
    Considering the name is published all over the palm website, and published within the stories of all the tech sites that reported on it, I don't think they will change it. I suspect there will be a pre 4G at some point for sprint or Verizon too (this is just me speculating).

ADD moment: I wonder why the accent line over the "e" on the pre 3 was omitted.
    They'll keep the Pre name for the Pre 3 and assuming they continue to release newer phones in the same style I'd assume they'd keep the name for them as well, it provides continuity and incremental numbers makes it clear that the phone is a newer better version.
    I think if they get a decent buzz on the products the name will matter less. People hated the ipad name early on. You don't hear much complaining about the name anymore though. If HTC can have the incredible i'm still waiting for someone to just name a phone something like the "HP Awesome."
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    I think if they get a decent buzz on the products the name will matter less. People hated the ipad name early on. You don't hear much complaining about the name anymore though. If HTC can have the incredible i'm still waiting for someone to just name a phone something like the "HP Awesome."
    I hope thats the case, but the overtone question is will people "avoid" the Pre 3 because they think it is just a bigger "Pre" Since there is dispute on why the original Pre failed (i think there are multiple reasons), I hope people give the Pre 3 a chance. Thats all I am trying to say.
    So do they name their eventual slab device the Pre4 even though it would have a different form factor?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    I hope thats the case, but the overtone question is will people "avoid" the Pre 3 because they think it is just a bigger "Pre" Since there is dispute on why the original Pre failed (i think there are multiple reasons), I hope people give the Pre 3 a chance. Thats all I am trying to say.
    Well i think that is very very much a danger. The sort of "its just more of the same" issue. I'll be honest. To me it is a bigger pre with updated internals. But i didn't think that cause of the name. I just see the same form factor and largely the same O.S. with some tweaks. If someone still likes the original pre i'd guess they'd like the Pre 3. If not or they are looking for specific things not in a pre 3 i'd guess not. But i think the name is not the biggest issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    So do they name their eventual slab device the Pre4 even though it would have a different form factor?
    I don't know what they name it. I never had an issue with the Pre name but it always struck me as kinda plain. So i'm curious if they should just think up a new brand and see if they can get traction. Heck if it doesn't work they aren't required to stick with it. I don't know what that brand name would be but something that is catchy, and stands out a bit, doesn't sound like a made up consulting company name (xperia, lol). Like name em after greek, roman, or egyptian gods. Introducing the Palm Zues! Or planets or something. Or just stick an X in front. Oo the "Palm XXX!" Oh the innuendo in that marketing campaign. "Palm XXX! Too dangerous for your eyes!" lol. Who knows. But i'm sure they'll think of something.
    To be honest.... I can't think of a single thing that I haven't bought, just because of the name. I do recall a French automaker by the name of Citröen, translated in English as Lemon...probably didn't do well for sales here in North America, not to mention they were just plain ugly. I used to think Palm Pilot was a pretty funny name back in the day.....I'm sure I'm not the only one either

On this tangent (which I moderately apologize for) I found this humerous page of Bad Marketing Translations:
    Translations that are Marketing Mistakes
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    To be honest.... I can't think of a single thing that I haven't bought, just because of the name.
    Really? So you're saying the name is a primary consideration for you? Interesting. I think i'm the opposite. I can't think of many things i've bought where i even consider the product name during the purchase. For me most of my product choices are largely about if the core product meets my needs. that is i pick coke over pepsi cause i like the taste of coke. Pepsi is a bit too sweet. I got a Stratocaster over a Les Paul cause i like the sound better. And looking around at my "stuff" the actual product name doesn't seem to have been on my mind when i bought stuff. Now i won't deny that product "image" has played a factor in some purchases like my car, clothes, but your opinion is interesting, because for me the actual name isn't really on my radar for most things. At least not that i can think of.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 04/05/2011 at 09:29 PM.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Nope, it's gonna be called the "alsoran" ;-)
  14.    #14  
    I don't know what they name it. I never had an issue with the Pre name but it always struck me as kinda plain. So i'm curious if they should just think up a new brand and see if they can get traction. Heck if it doesn't work they aren't required to stick with it. I don't know what that brand name would be but something that is catchy, and stands out a bit, doesn't sound like a made up consulting company name (xperia, lol). Like name em after greek, roman, or egyptian gods. Introducing the Palm Zues! Or planets or something. Or just stick an X in front. Oo the "Palm XXX!" Oh the innuendo in that marketing campaign. "Palm XXX! Too dangerous for your eyes!" lol. Who knows. But i'm sure they'll think of something.
    Tham HP Evolve is a good name. And before they announce the device they should release teaser invites to PreCentral and other media outlets a card that says "HP Media Event 20XX: EVO-lution of the smartphone" This way there would be so much buzz that HP would be making an EVO and going Android, then they show an amazingly powerful WebOS device.
    Tham HP Evolve is a good name. And before they announce the device they should release teaser invites to PreCentral and other media outlets a card that says "HP Media Event 20XX: EVO-lution of the smartphone" This way there would be so much buzz that HP would be making an EVO and going Android, then they show an amazingly powerful WebOS device.
    not a bad name at all. And you can play around with the evolve theme. Oooh yeah the "HP Evolution" "The Smart Phone Evolved." Yeah you can do stuff with that. like you get the kids using he new phone while the uncool ones use the old phone from "the other guys". Present your phone as something next level. Similar to the idea of "Droid does." I'm i'm not talking some abstract zen thing like the freaky girl ads. i'm mean college kids and pretty people doing regular stuff they did on a phone, texting, setting up friday night plans, Vegas baby, Parties, sexy lighting in the club commerical. Dre in the background. I don't know. But you can play around with Evolve and Evolution.

in a big picture macro sort of sense (just getting philosophical here, lol) think it would be a good idea to somehow make an over arching theme. Like you know what you're getting when you buy an apple phone/ipod/tablet. You pretty much know what blackberry was (before they kinda fell off). But i wonder "what's hp all about." Whatever they do i think it would help if they could develop some sort of high quality hp experience. I guess develop a big picture brand. Maybe it will be more apparent when you have an entire line of products over a year or two all with a similar look and similar flavor. who knows.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 04/06/2011 at 03:25 AM.
    At first I was going to agree with you... and I think in some circles that might still be the case... that keeping the name Pre could be dangerous reminding people of an awful phone. But honestly... who do you think that will be? Probably only previous owners. I dont think the masses at large were even dimly aware of the pre, or its failures. It wasnt anything like the iphone 4 "youre holding it wrong" becoming a flashfire meme due to public awareness and vocal outrage. The pre was for the most part a fairly quiet disappointment. It just seemed really loud to us because we were the ones replacing our phones ever 3 months.
    not a bad name at all. And you can play around with the evolve theme. Oooh yeah the "HP Evolution" "The Smart Phone Evolved." Yeah you can do stuff with that. like you get the kids using he new phone while the uncool ones use the old phone from "the other guys". Present your phone as something next level. Similar to the idea of "Droid does." I'm i'm not talking some abstract zen thing like the freaky girl ads. i'm mean college kids and pretty people doing regular stuff they did on a phone, texting, setting up friday night plans, Vegas baby, Parties, sexy lighting in the club commerical. Dre in the background. I don't know. But you can play around with Evolve and Evolution.

in a big picture macro sort of sense (just getting philosophical here, lol) think it would be a good idea to somehow make an over arching theme. Like you know what you're getting when you buy an apple phone/ipod/tablet. You pretty much know what blackberry was (before they kinda fell off). But i wonder "what's hp all about." Whatever they do i think it would help if they could develop some sort of high quality hp experience. I guess develop a big picture brand. Maybe it will be more apparent when you have an entire line of products over a year or two all with a similar look and similar flavor. who knows.
    Thats a great name for a phone... lots of marketing possibility... they could even have worplay like "Start your rEvolution" and you are right about the HP line not having an "identity".... Apple is just outstanding at creating an identity for their products... people hear the name and instantly find a way to identify with it. Everybody knows blackberry means business. When you think iphone you think cutting edge and quality. When you think of windows phone you think of enterprise. So on and so forth...
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Really? So you're saying the name is a primary consideration for you? Interesting. I think i'm the opposite.....
    That's not what he said at all. He said that he has never bought a phone because of a bad name.

Anyways, the Pre name is pretty good but hopefully the bad hardware from the first one isn't remembered. I doubt it will since it didn't sell that well.

I think a few good slab names for a webOS device will be, HP Votive, HP Vortex, or HP Slick. The V naming would be consistent with the Veer and the Slick would just be awesome. I really hope these devices come to Sprint, barring the Veer.
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    ADD moment: I wonder why the accent line over the "e" on the pre 3 was omitted.
    I think it is probably because people were mispronouncing is as pre-ay because of the accent. I remember a few people asking me "is that the new pre-ay?" when I first got it back in 09 and I was like yeah its the Pre. Then they would respond saying they thought it was pronounced differently because of the accent.
    Randomly, I started typing in URLs and found:

pr3.com redirects to iis.net (microsoft)
    hpveer.com goes to palm.com - legit
    hppre.com goes to some random linkbait blog
    hppre3.com redirects to godaddy splash page
    pre3.com is an IP address checker

I think there's a good chance of an entirely new name instead of Pre 3. Honestly, what good could come hanging onto the Pre name, aside from the loyal enthusiasts here, most people have a negative opinion of the name so what use in keeping it if there is a great new phone in the hopper from HP?
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html