1.    #1  
    Given the treo's limited battery capacity, its hard to believe that the screen stays lit during phone calls. Why not shut off the screen after a timeout and power it back up after a screen tap or button press? I mean how often do you look at the screen during a phone call?

It seems like a pretty simple thing for a 3rd party app to handle, though. Does anyone know of one that can do this?
    The screen backlight will turn off after a 'short' time however the screen stays on for several reasons.

1. you may want to mute the call.
    2. you may want to set up a conference call
    3. you may want to turn on the speaker

I agree though that it would be nice to have the choice.
    A system hack, perhaps?
  3.    #3  
    Amen. Wish I knew how to write the code!
    It would be nice if it turned off the screen until it is tapped.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by JoeTampa
    That's how the Pocket PC phone works.
    Originally posted by JoeTampa
    The screen dims to the lowest brightness after a preset delay and it comes to life (along with the keyboard) if you tap it or any key on the keyboard. I think this is quite good.

It'd be a weird phone if the display went totally off while you're talking. On average, I think this feature would do more harm than good when unsophisticated users are baffled by what's going on. It could be an optional setting, but people can still stumble upon it by accident.

IMO, the current functionality is the best balance for the average consumer.
  7.    #7  
    Sure, it makes sense for the default to be "on." But the Palm OS has lots of settings for more advanced users that would baffle newbies. Many of these, like custom alarm settings, can help extend battery life. Given this - and the fact that Palm has shipped an inadequate battery that is non-replaceable - it only makes for advanced users to have this option available. Are you telling me you wouldn't use it if it could add 45min. to your battery?
    Originally posted by paulshu
    Are you telling me you wouldn't use it if it could add 45min. to your battery?
    I would definitely use it if it gave me 45 more minutes of talk time

I can't argue about whether the difference between lowest brightness and being completely off could provide you with 45 minutes of talk time because I don't have enough data. However, it sounds kind of a stretch to me. My guess would be that it would add ~10 minutes of talk time.
    Yes the screen can be on, but I wished there was a hack to just turn off the backlight completely. sure will save some power man.
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by silverado

I would definitely use it if it gave me 45 more minutes of talk time

I can't argue about whether the difference between lowest brightness and being completely off could provide you with 45 minutes of talk time because I don't have enough data. However, it sounds kind of a stretch to me. My guess would be that it would add ~10 minutes of talk time.
    Admittedly, I have no firm basis for the 45 min. figure, but I didn't pull it out of thin air. Here are my assumptions:

talk time without this feature: 120 min.
    % of power used by screen: 50%
    % of time screen turnd off with this feature: 70%

Total savings = 120 X .5 X .7 = 42 min.
    Originally posted by paulshu

Admittedly, I have no firm basis for the 45 min. figure, but I didn't pull it out of thin air. Here are my assumptions:

talk time without this feature: 120 min.
    % of power used by screen: 50%
    % of time screen turnd off with this feature: 70%

Total savings = 120 X .5 X .7 = 42 min.
    I don't think the phone and the screen use the same amount of power. I think leaving the screen on (without the phone) it will last longer than the normal talk time.