Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    great article. i just cant see hp abandoning the smartphone market. i think that we will see a huge marketing blitz. and why anybody thinks that delaying the tablet till june is a bad idea. that had, HAD, to have some event to announce at least the tablet and webos 3.0. that way they could get developers to start making apps. i think hp, for the position it is in is doing the right thing. but they should have announced a new form factor and released the pre 3 soon afterwards. because im sure that webos 2.x was in development when hp bought palm. but in merging all of palm into hp, they missed there chance to successfully launch the pre2. so it just threw it out there way late. to have basically a devolopers phone, knowing that it wouldnt sell that well but would give developers a chance to test out there new apps on a 2.x device for an explosion of apps, when they latest hardware would be released. but was delayed and merged into the tablet announcement. so it created a confusing path for developers and the public. hopefully in the hp labs they are busy creating the newest hp phones with webos. but they might not be ready for prime time. and maybe they will still pull an apple, and is going to announce a new device weeks before release and just throwing the pre 3 and veer out there to so that there will be phones for apps that are competitive adn groundbreaking. there is nothing to prevent hp from doing this, except for palms blundering; and now hp's; like saying that any "legacy" devices wouldnt get 2.x. and poing alot of there users and developers for making it harder to see if they like they latest.

i know tldr.
    samsung i730 - blackberry storm- palm pre plus - samsung omnia - palm pre plus - palm pre 2 - ????

i refuse to buy anything apple with there asinine standards, especially when theres a perfectly good standard that everybody else is using. bah.
  2.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by keeb119 View Post
    great article. clip......................
    Yeap.
    I had not seen in the forums that we were saying that HP was giving up. Anyone know where those threads are?
    Just look in the comments for the article in the first post. Some people are seriously that delusional.
    I've been involved in numerous discussions on here with folks who believe hp doesn't care about they smartphone market.they cite mark hurd's comments about not buying palm for smartphones and hp's failure to market any of the phones that are available now.

I just think they want to start fresh
    I've been involved in numerous discussions on here with folks who believe hp doesn't care about they smartphone market.they cite mark hurd's comments about not buying palm for smartphones and hp's failure to market any of the phones that are available now.

I just think they want to start fresh
  7.    #8  
    I'm sure where the comments are, (I'm mobile, or I'd try and find them) but somewhere there was a discussion that the Pre3 and Veer were the last phones, and that tablets and computers were all HP were going to do with webOS.
    I myself dont see them leaving smartphones out either. Everyone assumes that since HP dosent mention phones around the clock, that they abandon the idea to push them. HP is not PALM again NOT PALM. They sell alot more things then just phones. SO AGAIN HP IS NOT PALM, NOT HTC, NOT MOTOROLA. These companys main money comes from what hmmm PHONES. They do not have the captial, or the handful of products to sell as HP does. So yes they intend on supporting, and mass producing smartphones, but to me with a company that size, and as many products they offer why would anyone expect them to blast it around the clock everywhere, especially when these products are not available yet. Now when these products are being released, and there are not alot of budget or marketing behind them, then act concerned people. Until then can we all chill, and stop jumping to conclusions, and comparing these small 1 focus companys, to a multi billion dollar company in HP.
  9.    #10  
    Again;

Ecosystem.

HP plans on creating a huge Ecosystem with webOS.

webOS Phones are a huge integral needed part.
    Just call me Berd.
    ..edited..

huh? you speak about their mentioning flexible displays, and watches mentioned more then smartphones and none are on the horizon? Um last time I checked the VEER, and Pre 3 are in production, and set for a summer release neither is a watch or flexible display. They talked about Webos Printers, but none are going to be available this summer, the VEER, and PRE 3 are. The tablet is easy to talk about, and sponser at the moment, because they can not only just release a WIFI version and not worry about customer adoption, but also Tablets are a hot topic at the moment. The Pre 2 does get commercials Ive seen them, and no one knows if carriers have picked up the Veer, and or the Pre 3 yet, as well as def release date so why advertise something that has no destination yet? Your arguments dont make sense to me, sorry.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 04/03/2011 at 02:16 PM.
    Bottom line people, HP knows as stated by precentrals front page that smartphones is the entry to bringing in customers, and developers. People still resort to their smartphone for most of their needs, and even more then a PC for the past few years. The tablet as stated by most anaylist is a luxuary thing to have, not really something you may need. Even look at tablet sales currently besides the Ipad (which sells at this point because APPLES branded it) other tablets sales are pale. The galaxy tab was a failure pretty much, the XOOM as stated today at BGR and Engagdet sales are bad and forecasting only selling a mere 300k of them, and expectations on wall street for moto has been lowered due to the fact.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/01/rbc-cu...r-xoom-sales/#

At the end of the day people will still buy a smartphone over a tablet period, no matter how flashy it appears. HP knows this believe me, the reason why they bought Palm was the fact that the PC game has been shifting the last couple of years due to people dropping their feature phones for smartphones:

http://onebiginternet.com/2011/02/sm...op-computers/#

If shipping desktops, and laptops along with printers that sync to desktops have been HP's money maker, and now SMARTPHONES and tablets (alittle, only the Ipad) have now picked up speed, they needed to get back into this game. What better way to do then to buy your own OS (like APPLE) and create a full mobile connected experiance...SMARTPHONES, and Tablets.
    Last edited by wellwellwell11; 04/02/2011 at 03:25 PM.
    more:

HP Bets on Cloud-Connect Tablets and Smartphones for the Future - Softpedia

In order to achieve this goal, HP will apparently focus on cloud-connected tablets and smartphones, but also entire services that will be available via the respective portable devices (virtually turning them into some ultra-mobile, ultra-portable workstations).

And from what we've seen thus far, the company might have a couple of aces up its sleeve, starting with the HP Touchpad and new webOS smartphones, such as the Veer and Pre, that manage to work together in a very interesting manner, providing just a glimpse at what the future might have in store for us, such as, for example, complete and seamless collaboration between various ultra-mobile devices running the same OS.
    ..edited..
    dont try to nit pick at time frames we are all aware of the Veer being announced to be released in may, which is obviously about the same time as june right? Last time I checked Spring started March 20th, and Summer June 21st isnt May closer to June? Yes Ive seen alot of Pre 2 commercials sorry if you have not. Again marketing a tablet is easier to do then a smartphone IF you dont have carriers that have picked up the device yet, and or have a tenative release date. Again I cant understand what your saying about their priorities, and no fanfare? Bottom line is If lets say they show commericals for the Pre 3 what it does and all that with no carrier attached to it, what sense would that make. A tablet they can, and just offer a WIFI version (which as you see with the ipad sells better then the 3G versions). What projects are getting the spotlight at all besides the showing of the TP at confrenses? So no you make nothing clear, and I point you to my post a few back about even HP's intentions with Webos (as everyone seems to get but you), and their obvious direction there shifting from PC's to.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 04/03/2011 at 02:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I had not seen in the forums that we were saying that HP was giving up. Anyone know where those threads are?
    I can't be sure but I think this editorial and thread is based off the thread I started.The thread is titled Why don't HP talk more about the Pre 3? It's in the Pre 3 forum. (again I may be wrong) But a day after the thread was created there pops up the editorial.Some people answerd that question by saying that HP will stop making phones.My intentions were to draw attention the Pre 3.I don't care if its coming out in the summer! I don't take the veer seriously and HPalm needs to know that! I think it got a lol out of hand.
    Last edited by prethadd81; 04/02/2011 at 05:01 PM.
  15.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    more:

HP Bets on Cloud-Connect Tablets and Smartphones for the Future - Softpedia

In order to achieve this goal, HP will apparently focus on cloud-connected tablets and smartphones, but also entire services that will be available via the respective portable devices (virtually turning them into some ultra-mobile, ultra-portable workstations).

And from what we've seen thus far, the company might have a couple of aces up its sleeve, starting with the HP Touchpad and new webOS smartphones, such as the Veer and Pre, that manage to work together in a very interesting manner, providing just a glimpse at what the future might have in store for us, such as, for example, complete and seamless collaboration between various ultra-mobile devices running the same OS.

Good stuff like that makes me smile.
    This is the quote from then HP CEO Mark Hurd:

'We didn't buy Palm to be in the smartphone business. And I tell people that, but it doesn't seem to resonate well.'

Unfortunately, what we Hurd still resonates.

I take this to mean that the point was not smartphones in particular but to be able to meet the needs of the whole enterprise, inlcuding mobile.
  17.    #18  
    <<Thread Cleaned>>

Let's talk about the thrust of the editorial;
    HP getting webOS into multiple devices to build an Ecosystem.

We spend much effort to get all our devices to sync just our PIM.
    Our email. Our music collection.
    Our docs.
    We attempt to do a lot of this with other services and 3rd party apps.
    I see all these being consolidated in one familiar interface, and all being live no matter what device we're accessing them from.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    This is the quote from then HP CEO Mark Hurd:

'We didn't buy Palm to be in the smartphone business. And I tell people that, but it doesn't seem to resonate well.'

Unfortunately, what we Hurd still resonates.

I take this to mean that the point was not smartphones in particular but to be able to meet the needs of the whole enterprise, inlcuding mobile.
    If what you Hurd Hurd say still resonate, then its shouldn't b/c the new CEO and others hve pretty much debunked this by stating the inportance of webOS, and based on what HP wants to do, smartphones will play an important role within the ecosystem they seek to create.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    HP's Palm division is in it to win it. They are not abandoning phones.

A quick look at their Career Opportunities makes it OBVIOUS.

And before anyone says that the job descriptions can easily apply to tablets and the like, many of them specifically mention smartphones once you delve in to them.

Some people need to lay off the doom & gloom (just look at the comments in the article).
    Last edited by RafRol; 05/22/2011 at 02:15 AM.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast