Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This occurred to me today as I was forced to watch American Idol (by my wife). The microphones, the headphones and the producer's hat all had a Beats logo. On my way back from a trip I noticed several travelers with Beats headphones.

I have a feeling this will be the next status symbol like white earphones were back in the day, if it isn't already.

I did some research and it looks like HP has the exclusive on Beats audio licensing besides Monster. If they aren't planning phones and MP3 players with Beats Audio, they sure as hell should be. I believe the mindshare for Beats is large and growing quickly.

Just my 2 cents. Thought I would share with everyone!
    The guy that runs the studio/label they are using (and gives advice to the contestants every week) was one of the presenters on Sept 9th, and he explained how Beats is more than headphones, it's a different way of digitizing music to preserve quality, etc.

He and Dr Dre co-own the brand, and it's positioned to be the "dolby" of digital music. The headphones are actually from Monster. I hope they can leverage this.
    Beats by Dr. Dre + WebOS?

That would be awesome. I see the Touchpad turning into a digital studio.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I'm a little envious that the TouchPad has Beats Audio and the Pre3/Veer won't... I actually use my Pre to listen to some tunes.
    Last edited by RafRol; 03/31/2011 at 01:32 AM. Reason: grammar
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    I agree, i made a post in the touchpad forum about this. Huge mindshare. If you ever ride the train or plane, all the "cool kids" have beats headphones. If you ever see athletes during their warmups, all wearing beats. even the college kids in the ncaa tourney have them. they are everywhere. a much cooler brand. they need to make a special beats edition of all palm stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by mc_gusto View Post
    I agree, i made a post in the touchpad forum about this. Huge mindshare. If you ever ride the train or plane, all the "cool kids" have beats headphones. If you ever see athletes during their warmups, all wearing beats. even the college kids in the ncaa tourney have them. they are everywhere. a much cooler brand. they need to make a special beats edition of all palm stuff.

They are everywhere, if you ride the train in NYC, you'll constantly see people with them. I remember when I used to see a lot of people with Bose headphones, now it's Beats. Bose headphones were great & still are. However beats headphones are just as good, if not better; and they are a lot more stylish.

Beats audio FTW!
    I have no idea what "beats headphones" look like.

EDIT: just looked them up. ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? Almost $200 for earbuds????

Sorry, people are demented spending that much on headphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    I have no idea what "beats headphones" look like.
    They look "cool".
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Yeah, here in England I see tons of people with beats headphones as well. I really don't know why. The people I know that have knowledge about this stuff say they are not worth their money...

However, I barely see them in Germany...
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    Yeah, here in England I see tons of people with beats headphones as well. I really don't know why. The people I know that have knowledge about this stuff say they are not worth their money...
    QFT.

Beats is riding on a wave of marketing hype and product placement. The fact that they are made by Monster is an indicator to anyone with any familiarity with the audio industry that they are outrageously overpriced. Monster stuff is good quality stuff, but to give you an idea of how overpriced it is, the employee discount on anything made by Monster is 60% off MSRP (Google it), and at that price, Monster still makes a profit.

As far as I can tell, having the Beats logo on a laptop means it has an EMI-shielded headphone jack and a discrete headphone amp. This is very basic stuff that any manufacturer can do if they want to improve sound quality, without having to send money to Dr. Dre to do it.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Also remember that HP/Palm HIRED bubbles the guy who wrote NANPlayer... and that player was/is AMAZING!! a rewrite of that with enyo/tablet would be a KILLER media app... KILLER!
    I was thinking this the whole time once Beats audio became into play. I've seen way more beats headphones than any other one around campus. Be it earbuds or over the ear headphones.

A TON! Of people have them. I was thinking about buying some a while ago but they are a bit pricey.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sprint Love
    For the price you could have a nice pair of Shure or Sennheiser headphones.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    A grossly overpriced product that's basically pretty good but wouldn't normally be newsworthy, made great and desirable to the general public by the fickle follies of fashion, superior stylishness and frequent television cameos?

And Jobs had nothing to do with it?
    well hp should make a beats audio mp3 player with webos!...that will give them a reason to do a badly needed update of the native Music app...

the native Music app sucks....well its not that bad but ok is not good enough these days....update it and rebrand it as beats audio and you have a winner

now that im thinking of it didnt Jon Rubinstein develop the ipod??...he should know better than anyone the importance of a quality music experience on a mobile device....think of the impact this would have had on the Pre's market performance....That was another huge mistake by palm...not updating the native music app...
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    well hp should make a beats audio mp3 player with webos!...that will give them a reason to do a badly needed update of the native Music app...

the native Music app sucks....well its not that bad but ok is not good enough these days....update it and rebrand it as beats audio and you have a winner

now that im thinking of it didnt Jon Rubinstein develop the ipod??...he should know better than anyone the importance of a quality music experience on a mobile device....think of the impact this would have had on the Pre's market performance....That was another huge mistake by palm...not updating the native music app...
    A beats audio player would be bad as$! If one is not on its way by the holidays the HP marketing team has failed.
  17. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    same brainwashing that tells people sprite is a better drink. all marketing driven conditioning.
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    Some people want Beats for the brand image and what it might do for HPalm, others seem to know that it's nothing more than marketing hype. Speaking for myself, if HPalm starts slapping the Beats logo on its phones, that's reason enough for me to abandon them. I refuse to endorse hype.

So far it seems that HP knows the difference between products that will sell on hype (those specifically targeted at people young enough to be gullible to it) and products that need broader appeal, so surely they will not start doing so.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Some people want Beats for the brand image and what it might do for HPalm, others seem to know that it's nothing more than marketing hype. Speaking for myself, if HPalm starts slapping the Beats logo on its phones, that's reason enough for me to abandon them. I refuse to endorse hype.

So far it seems that HP knows the difference between products that will sell on hype (those specifically targeted at people young enough to be gullible to it) and products that need broader appeal, so surely they will not start doing so.
    i agree thumbs down to beats audio smartphones...but a beats audio mp3 player with webOS (think iPod Touch) would be awesome!!
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post

This is so true. Beats is nothing to hype about. its nice that its included in hp products. but no time soon is it a game changer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast