Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    He said what everyone else is thinking. Apple's working to build themselves up so high that when someone does come along to knock them down, it's going to be a very long fall for them.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Here is something I liked in the article:

>>>As well as that branding, HP will also open up its purse and shake money in the faces of developers.<<<

Also:

>>>CRN musters up an anonymous solution provider who has experience working with both Apple and HP in the past, and who praises the PC company for being “very channel friendly” whereas with its Cupertino rival “it really feels like they’re holding you hostage sometimes.”<<<
  3. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    For all the talk about being a good partner, I wonder what DanPLC would say about how they've responded to the media indexer bug?

Apple, though abusive to it's partners, is still making money for them. HP seems to be turning it's back on what few devs it has, who aren't making squat compared to to iOS/Android devs, due to the small market share of webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Well, it looks like 5000 developers signed up to pay $1600 for WWDC in June in order to receive more "abuse". They sold out in 11 hours. There are over 100 sessions and they even post the video in iTunes for free after the conference for anyone to see.
    To be fair, these are the same people that overpay for a laptop just because it has an Apple on its casing.
    I guess that's one way of looking at it. I always figured the people attending WWDC are the same people that enjoy slices of this:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....0--img4457.jpg
    It's easy to be channel friendly when you are begging people to take your products. Not so when you are the channel leader.

And they "will" shake money at devs?! They haven't been doing that yet? Pray tell, what are they waiting for?
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    This is HP's corporate nature shining through. Focus on developers. Focus on channel partners. Focus on corporate clients. Here's a tip for HP: try focusing on the end-user. That is the only party that matters. Do that well, and retail partners, developers, and CEOs will be begging for your products.
    i think its a combination. I know as a technology coordinator that if CD-W or another 'channel' came in with a TP and customized apps for our needs we would be all over it, as opposed to being told 'it will support other apps in the future.'

I'm sure this is an even bigger deal in other areas.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    This is HP's corporate nature shining through. Focus on developers. Focus on channel partners. Focus on corporate clients. Here's a tip for HP: try focusing on the end-user. That is the only party that matters. Do that well, and retail partners, developers, and CEOs will be begging for your products.
    Agreed. Focusing on the end user has helped Apple become successful. To me, the hp brand is too corporate and rigid. Datsun was a cool brand until Nissan spread the corporate brand. It will be sad to see the consumer-friendly Palm brand fade away, just like what hp did to Compaq years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm Vxer View Post
    Agreed. Focusing on the end user has helped Apple become successful. To me, the hp brand is too corporate and rigid. Datsun was a cool brand until Nissan spread the corporate brand. It will be sad to see the consumer-friendly Palm brand fade away, just like what hp did to Compaq years ago.
    It's funny, though, that Apple hasn't been focusing on it's interface at all. Assuming they fix the grunts and complaints of users with iOS 5.0 sometime this year, it has taken them 5 iPhone generations to finally address the notification system. Why have they not tried to change it? Is it really that hard?

But I think WebOS is very user friendly. I just think it needs more apps. And one important feature: to be released (Pre 3)!!!
    webOS just needs hardware plain and simple. IF the hardware is killer people will come.
    No lag
    No tMc
    No Spider cracks
    No sharp plastic edges
    No stupid charging cover
    Screen size for street cred(I dont mind the Pre size)
    No Half day battery

The OS has nice concepts, but the sprint hardware at least is trash
    this needs to be in the front page..
    makes sense to me. money talks. pay developers to write an app for your platform and they will.. despite whether they would have done so previously. reminds me of the Google approach: force people to know your product. whether its with monetary incentives (HP) or by sheer influence on the industry (Google), there are ways to get your product into people's hands if you're an enormous tech company, which is precisely why HP has such faith and optimism in webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    webOS just needs hardware plain and simple. IF the hardware is killer people will come.
    No lag
    No tMc
    No Spider cracks
    No sharp plastic edges
    No stupid charging cover
    No Half day battery

You need a pre 2
    Developer of iCopter 2.2 for webOS.

If you have any remark, complain or feature request, let me know :
    iCopter 2.1 Precentral thread
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas92 View Post
    You need a pre 2
    Agreed, and if there was not the carrot of the pre3 on sprint I would have 2'd my - by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    No lag
    No tMc
    No Spider cracks
    No sharp plastic edges
    No stupid charging cover
    No Half day battery

Well.

From time to time you may always experience a bit of lag, depending on what you're running and memory leaks, etc.

same goes with tmc

spider cracks, charging cover, battery etc.. all have been addressed with the pre 2. it looks as thou the sharp edges has been addressed with the pre 3, along with many many more improvements.

Just watch the videos of the veer and see how she flies like a bullet.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    Well.

From time to time you may always experience a bit of lag, depending on what you're running and memory leaks, etc.

same goes with tmc

spider cracks, charging cover, battery etc.. all have been addressed with the pre 2. it looks as thou the sharp edges has been addressed with the pre 3, along with many many more improvements.

Just watch the videos of the veer and see how she flies like a bullet.
    I completely agree. I just wish they would have went for a little more bragging rights. In my eyes the 1.4 snapdragon is what they have to brag about, but then there is always the caveat that its not a dual core. The resolution is good, but not great. Memory, capacity are blah but certainly workable. Right now they are hanging their hats on Beats audio, the same way that apple pushed the retina display, and it could be a key differentiator if its noticeable. My fear is that its hard to show someone good ear buds. If they really want to push the Beats audio they really need to bundle the phones with something comparable to Klipsch Image S4 earphones Review - Watch CNET's Video Review The price would never allow it, but man it would be sweet. (ps I love my -'s original ear buds with the magnets) Hopefully OS + large keyboard + beats audio = seductive story because every where else they are just breaking even.

<-major Pre apologist who is sorry for posting off topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    It's funny, though, that Apple hasn't been focusing on it's interface at all. Assuming they fix the grunts and complaints of users with iOS 5.0 sometime this year, it has taken them 5 iPhone generations to finally address the notification system. Why have they not tried to change it? Is it really that hard?

First point is that Apple is well known for reliably providing regular updates, bringing in new features, as should most companies. You can't sit here and argue that either Palm/HP or Google (via HTC, Samsung et al) has done a better job of regularly updating their product, can you?

But second, I think for many, it comes down to prioritizing what matters. Not that we consumers always know the Sophie's Choice (cut and paste vs. buggy software, effective notifications vs. no lag) but if you feel like a company usually tries to balance out performance with features, you can be very forgiving no?

Sure Apple may not prioritize its features they way you want, nor HP the way I want but its about choice, right?
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    First point is that Apple is well known for reliably providing regular updates, bringing in new features, as should most companies. You can't sit here and argue that either Palm/HP or Google (via HTC, Samsung et al) has done a better job of regularly updating their product, can you?

But second, I think for many, it comes down to prioritizing what matters. Not that we consumers always know the Sophie's Choice (cut and paste vs. buggy software, effective notifications vs. no lag) but if you feel like a company usually tries to balance out performance with features, you can be very forgiving no?

Sure Apple may not prioritize its features they way you want, nor HP the way I want but its about choice, right?
    I thought Palm initially did a great job of over the air updates. We got them fairly often & some were in direct response (or they discovered them independently) to discussions here at P/C. We went from 1.0, .2, .3, .4, .45 with other updates in between in more or less, 1 year. I especially liked getting them OTA vs having to plug into a computer, etc.

Then...the buy out which took a couple months to close the deal, the change in Mgmt from Palm to HP and the decision to not bring 2.0 to the original Pre owners...the decision to go w/new products have stopped the updates to the original Pre, but the others have gotten 2.0, .01. and I believe now 2.1. They are now releasing the Beta for 3.0...

They have gone from 1.0 to 3.0 in 1 year and 9 months while having a buyout, change in much of the senior personnel, etc. I never owned any of the early Windows phones or the iPhone so I don't know how they did in under two years, but I don't think this is so bad.

I am bummed I won't be getting any updates to my original Sprint Pre, but I have no problem defending HP Palm's updates & process in general. Sure hope the Pre 3 is available on Sprint, because--like you--I do believe in "choice."
    I have a problem with their updates and process "in general" because while I can be - and was - very forgiving of that which is involved in getting a new OS that I like off the ground, to this day - 2 years later - HP has some features missing, and some long lasting bugs, that that are just inexcusable.

So, in the whole context, "lame notifications" seems pretty minor to me. But its all about priorities, and I totally get that someone for whom that is *more* important would be happier elsewhere.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast