Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    There's an argument to be made that if device B can do everything that device A can do there is little reason to not buy device B given they are similar in all other respects.

WebOS is device B but unlike the theory above it can not do everything device A (Apple) can do. This is either do to a lack of apps, services or hardware for it.

HP's problem is that it thinks dev's will just flock to start filling in the gaps of apps, services and hardware to make WebOS devices truly competitive because after all, they're HP and they have "scale".

This could work except that HP has to start kick this process and come up with some in house solutions to make people excited to buy and develop for WebOS again. Maybe they are aware of this and we will see some compelling apps, cloud services and hardware to get everyone excited about WebOS devices.

But their Think Beyond event back in Feb kinda seemed like a show and dance where they were expecting everyone to stand up and clap with excitement but as many people know, that did not happen.

HP has to jump start the ecosystem of all things WebOS with exciting apps, services and hardware in order for it to become self sustaining.

I hope they understand this.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Why the focus on starving developers? Is the App Catalog some kind of nonprofit program for non-professional developers? I like my apps to be written by successful developers and software companies that have the resources and the incentives to support their apps long term. If they have a reputation in the industry to uphold then that's even better.
    "Starving" developers are the guys behind webOS-Internals, Jason Robitaille, Zhephree, and a lot others.

Successful developers and software companies are the same ones who have rejected to develop for webOS until now.

Foursquare is not developing an app for webOS, it's Zhephree. Google is not bringing streetview to webOS, dropbox is not developing for webOS, Wordpress is not developing a client for webOS, and so on.

Have a little respect for what you call "starving developers", they at least are worried you can have apps to download; highly reputable companies have given you a ***** until now.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    "Starving" developers are the guys behind webOS-Internals, Jason Robitaille, Zhephree, and a lot others.

Successful developers and software companies are the same ones who have rejected to develop for webOS until now.

Foursquare is not developing an app for webOS, it's Zhephree. Google is not bringing streetview to webOS, dropbox is not developing for webOS, Wordpress is not developing a client for webOS, and so on.

Have a little respect for what you call "starving developers", they at least are worried you can have apps to download; highly reputable companies have given you a ***** until now.
    I definitely agree. Just because a company has the resources doesn't mean they're going to do more than a halfassed job on their application, whereas others without the resources are still proving class support. I also feel like webOS has a good thing going with crossapp support. How likely is it that a huge company is gonna give you an option to open up something in Notes, provide support for Neato, or send via Bad Kitty? I want to see some of the bigger players too, but HP/Palm could do more to support and advertise those who are already here. Even now with the bug affecting music apps that's causing these developers ratings in the app catalog, HP/Palm has nothing to offer except hope it'll be fixed with the Pre3/webOS2.2.
    screwdestiny
    PSNTwitterLast.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Thank You.
    Just call me Berd.
    well-written article from CNET has a few interesting quotes from Kerris, see below (dated 3/31 entitled Can HP Make Developers care about WebOS?):

As Kerris put it: "We're being realistic about things."

"It's a long road ahead," he said. "I don't think it's practical to think we're going to come out of the gate and have tons and tons of applications"...

The numbers game is not one we care to play," Kerris said. "People don't use more than a couple dozen [apps] at most. So we want the ones we do have to be really functional."...

Can HP make developers care about WebOS? | Circuit Breaker - CNET News
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12