1.    #1  
    HPQ where do you see it going? the company is HUGE to begin with... but with a "possible" phone/tablet boom where do you see it at end of year? and by then with more phones on the way? and with the corporate VPN push that ipad doesnt have? i'm thinking up but by how much?
    Hi,

It all depends on how much and how hard HP wants to push webOS and how well they do it...after all Palm's commercials were dreadful!

If HP packages it correctly and markets it well, the sky is the limit... <edited by staff>

Take care,

jay
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 04/02/2011 at 07:30 PM. Reason: edited comment
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Hm, HP heavily rely on printer and print cartridges market, and that market is shrinking with new mobile technologies. That is why they are investing and expanding web and cloud technologies pared with new hardware form factors and foldable screens. I believe webOS future is bright, but it will be much different, unrecognizable webOS deeply embedded in new devices.
    I bought in with the release of Hurd then sold a little while later. Don't see myself buying any in quite a while, especially with the price target cut at the end of February. I'd rather see how it plays out with developer interest, etc. I'm not confident enough to put money down on the TouchPad, Pre 3, etc. having enough consumer interest to be successful enough to drive stock price up significantly.
  5.    #5  
    tuff call i was thinking of putting something down on hpq now and see what happens when the commercials with all the rappers/beats audio/ snowboarders and such start coming down.. But the biggest thing i'm worrying about is the SDK and the "cool" apps to be developed for it. The email and messaging are looking top notch.. AND there is going to be VPN support for corporate accounts is kinda big as the iPad isn't geared towards security.

just thinking out loud
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Whatever happens to HPQ will have almost nothing to do with webOS.
    Might pan out differently if HP makes true on its intention of putting webOS on everything it sells.

So if HP printers, computers, smartphones, cameras (anyone remember PhotoSmart?), tablets, wristwatches, flexible plaster-everywhere screen foils and, perhaps most importantly, toasters all come with webOS... is it really fair to say HP's stock price has nothing to do with webOS?
    There is only ONE thing that drives stock price: people buying and selling stock. Okay, that could be seen as two things, fair enough. Apple's stock is hilariously overinflated because people think Apple can do no wrong, so they buy Apple stock, so Apple stock goes up, so people find themselves confirmed, so they buy some more Apple stock. Real-world performance has nearly nothing to do with stock prices; at most it can influence people in their decision to buy or sell, but not as you may think: companies frequently lose stock value on the very day they release favorable reports.

So it's not about "what you think of webOS", it's about what people think webOS can do for HP. And if large parts of HP's consumer portfolio are running webOS, you can bet that what buyers think webOS can do for HP will influence HP's stock price... probably more than sales figures will (as those would only influence what people think about what webOS can do for HP it's all very intricate)
    <<thread cleansed>>

Reminder: this is about HP... not another Apple thread.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    to be honest I think alot will ride in webos.... Compare both of apple and hpq market cap and if you think webos will gain market share, do the math...
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    to be honest I think alot will ride in webos.... Compare both of apple and hpq market cap and if you think webos will gain market share, do the math...
    Hi all,

I am and have always been a glass half full kinda guy....I think HP will make in roads into the world of mobile computing....

WebOS is praised far and wide...however they do need to get the app totals up there...if HP/Palm continues to bring out a great deal of innovation and the quality of the hardware is there....I feel it will take time, but they & we will eventually see inroads in market share.

One of my closest friends is ripping his hair out with a 'droid smartphone right now...he feels it is too hard to get used to and it's as if you need to read and reread how to do thinks with a 'droid....plus he almost freaked out when he discovered that should he go to another smartphone that is also a 'droid it will not necessarily work the same, (since not all Android units use the same OS build and that both hardware manufacturers and providers can customize the OS)!

Take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  11.    #11  
    i def a see a small short term jump just on the hype alone... now if they can deliver some compelling apps is the main question... there has has been 2-3(when 3.0 sdk launches) major changes to the way people can write apps... and they are placing a big bet on cloud services and printing through the phone... things other can't truly say they can do.

lets not forget how big the smartphone business really is... HPQ @ 40 dollars... i think is a buy.. sell it when it hit 50-55 when tablet launches?

also to note.. Palm stock was @ $4 when they announced the pre... and got up to $20 before they said no new phones...and that was a company with one phone in market.
  12.    #12  
    def makes sense...

but not impossible... i've watched people put out a press release on wall street that oil will go up because of Libya... and he bet oil will go up... I've seen Goldman Sachs bet the housing bubble will burst(yes they were the accountants) and make billions on it. impossible that the hype of a tablet will raise the stock $10-15 up? def not impossible.
    Last edited by antonio3; 04/03/2011 at 08:29 PM.
    I don't know where HPQ is going, even though I cannot see it go much lower. Anyway, the subpar performance in its consumer PC biz makes it even more critical that its WebOS devices would succeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickwestland View Post
    Anyway, the subpar performance in its consumer PC biz makes it even more critical that its WebOS devices would succeed.
    Hi,

Your 100% correct.

take care,

Jay