Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I would say nuTsie/Melodeo is how they're gonna do it.
    I can't WAIT for this... doubleTwist is so buggy :-(
    Very disappointing news if they try the direct route again.

But a webOS app that imports from itunes would be great. And that's just the start. It's critical to be able to manage webOS devices from a PC...IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Like father, like son. First Palm, now HP. It is one thing to quietly integrate Melodeo, quite another to start publicly trumpeting how they're going to steal the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Even Apple can't do a storage locker type deal with iTunes yet. The labels won't allow it. How does HP plan to get away with it?
    It's not illegal for some to use iTunes music on their devices. I believe it was Apple who wanted DRM Free music sold on iTunes. The REAL funny thing is if they let HP use iTunes that would mean more customers for Apple and more money for them. But I don't think he means a direct sync like before, I think he means software that will grab it and automatically take it to your phone.
    iTunes as a media player is garbage anyways. I never liked the layout. Syncing with the Zune media player would be nice . Haha I always seem to be talking up the Zune...
    isn't most itunes music drm-free these days?

as much as I don't use or care about iTunes, isn't this just learning to store/manage play lists, library lists, and drm-free songs?

that's way different than what palm tried to do originally.

between pandora and rhapsody, it doesn't matter what itunes does, but if palm is spending time on this, there has to be something to create new melodeo services, doesn't it?
    JFC, why can't they just change the way they do playlists so I can sync it with anything problem free?
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  8.    #9  
    I don't use iTunes, but a huge number do.
    I think it's just a matter of wanting to provide access to what so many use.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    The REAL funny thing is if they let HP use iTunes that would mean more customers for Apple and more money for them.
    Does it really? A lot of people are using iTunes already. Allowing those people to use iTunes with their webOS devices would just be value added. Unless HP starts requiring that people have an iTunes account, they won't be driving more customers to Apple.
    I cant stand iTunes and my iPod.. I'm looking at a zune HD!!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    The iTunes library is just a small file on your computer. Anyone is free to slice and dice it any way they want. That's not the problem. Syncing to the app is a problem. But, the bigger problem is sucking that iTunes music from your computer to a web service and down to another device. That is very much against the industry license. It is not just Apple HP has to deal with, but the RIAA.
    I think you're wrong on both counts. It's not illegal to synchronize with another piece of software. I also do not think it's illegal to store on a cloud service, to download to another device. This is not redistribution, it's archival storage, very much as if you moving the music from one hard drive to another on your own systems.

But, both companies have lawyers that are probably much better trained than either of us. It's going to be fun to watch though.
    It's not quite that simple. There have been a few services that have tried something much like this, and run out of business by the RIAA. I don't pretend to understand all the details, but HP will have to answer to higher powers than Apple.

HP is not just trying to make your music available; they are trying to go through iTunes. They have to shake this Apple fetish and write their own damn application for media sync and consumption.
    So does that mean if I decide to write an e-document, and pick PDF format, I'm screwing around with Adobe since Acrobat will read and display the document?

I don't think so.
    What right does the RIAA have to prevent you from streaming your own library??? They just need to die(I mean the organization)!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  14.    #15  
    I guess it depends on where the biggest majority like to have their music library.
    What they have grown accustom to.
    If I had my whole library in iTunes, and the device I was considering purchasing didn't have access to my iTunes library, then guess what? Well we know.
    Just call me Berd.
    I for one am hoping they figure out a way to sync through itunes. I downgraded my itunes so that I could sync with my Pre and it made my life so much easier. Unfortunately I had to update it get to work with my iPad but thats a whole other issue.

If you don't have itunes obviously its not a big deal but for those of us who have built our libraries and playlists in itunes its quite important.
    unless you are using something with itunes drm, is there any reason not to just sync with another media player?

to me, HP will need to focus on cloud sync for this to matter. There are many ways to move media to/from the device, so I have to believe that a cloud service is what he is talking about. That makes it about non-drm files, and playlists.

at least I hope so.
    I just drag and drop files onto my Pre, don't really need itunes. Add to the fact that the music is much less on Amazon, who needs Apple. I have not purchased any music from them now for almost 2 years.
    Amazon is offering cloud streaming too. But only for Android.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I love itunes layout. I loathe how slow and unresponsive it is and that it refuses to monitor changes to my folders, installs a bunch of crap, uses a lot of resources, and some other things. Still i like the look and layout and its great for my podcasts and my ipod.

HP should stop this nonsense and write it's own desktop music client with every single feature in itunes plus tons of features in other players (like folder monitoring), without exception. No shortcuts on features. Playlists, remember last place in file, tag editing, podcast support, etc. Integrate music purchase with the amazon store, video downloads, etc. And make sure not to make it all busy looking and convoluted. That is for average consumer not the tech geek that wants foobar or is something.

I like the idea of remote streaming my itunes library. It's a feature i've wanted and would use. That said i tried Ampache with mixed results. My data connection often just sucks so often that it is unreliable with services like Ampache. There is tons of delay when playing a song and moving between songs. Navigation is tough. I like the idea of streaming my music from home but it would have to be done well.

Cloud storage? Nothing against it. But in addition to network hurdles in the above paragraph, I got 200GBs of music. I have an 80GB ipod that's full. There is an appeal to having all my music with me because what i want to listen to varies greatly from time to time. So for my uses 8GB, 10GBs, 32 GBs of storage is not close to adequate. Unless someone gives me at least 64 to 80 GBs of FREE online storage and offers to come sit their and upload the entire thing for me (cause i don't have time for that) cloud storage alone is not a viable solution.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast