Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    I cant stand iTunes and my iPod.. I'm looking at a zune HD!!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I love my Zune HD!!!
    I love iTunes. It's one of my favorite pieces of software. Don't hate. Yes, it's slow, and yes, it's file managment system is a bit unwieldy, but it works, and it works well. If I could sync my Pre with iTunes as effortlessly as using an iPod, that would be a huge feather in HP's cap.
    The RIAA has no right to keep licensing music we already bought for fair use, I'm sorry. I hope Amazon fights them on this.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Well you keep mentioning how RIAA will block it and they're already starting on Amazon perhaps, so they are relevant.

However, this should be between Apple and HP only. The RIAA got their money and now want more for people to access music they already paid for. I hope someone bites their greedy hand off eventually, like Amazon. There is no right way for the RIAA unless you pay, pay and pay again, so someone has to get radical. HP and anyone else shouldn't need content provider permission just so customers can stream what they already paid for.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    When a customer buys an iTunes song, they have rights to distribute that song amongst their personal devices to play it, right?

The songs are in Apple's proprietary (ugh!!!) format: .mp4a format - NOT the conventional, universally used .mp3 format.

This is how Apple keeps their market share - and how they made iTunes successful.

Those music files are available on your PC/MAC hard drive - any app that comes along to use that data to synch with the same device that iTunes is, is TOTALLY within its right to do so, IMO.

What makes anyone believe that HP's method with be using iTunes while its in operation, the way PALM tried? They just need access to the data files and have/design the decryption method to play the music files.

Lots of people like iTunes because its "one stop shopping" - they couldn't care any less about how much more the songs are to buy today than they were 7 years ago, or that Apple is pretty much controlling that market, too - they just want their songs to play.

Having said that, the music files are the CONSUMER's, and not Apples, and what the consumer does with them, on thier own, or via another software vendor, is their own business, as long as they aren't copying them to resell or redistribute them for profit.

This is SO much an "Apple-control issue"- how much do you want to bet that Apple will change thier .mp4a file format, and then iTunes accordingly, if HP does this?
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

6.    #26  
    Again,
    I know very little about this, because I never even used iTunes.
    But some things Diva mentioned has made me wonder.
    How many millions of people bought a song, bought hundreds of songs, to find out that if they ever move to another device, they would lose their entire iTunes library?
    Please dont listen to dandbj13... He's creating FUD...

The TC article that he posted.. The one that mentioned blueTunes.net and now doest exist.. Well it MUST be bc the riaa right???

Wrong!
    blueTunes.net went beta way back in September of 2008 making it one of the first cloud music services out there. What made Blue Tunes unique was it let the user easily upload all of their music to blueTunes in a matter of seconds because of an exciting database of audio files that was already on their server. Whatever was not there was the only thing uploaded.
    Now that start of 2011 has begun blueTunes has decided to close it doors and sent a mass email to all its users saying:
    "After over two years of providing a way to listen to your music from anywhere, we're sorry to announce that we will be shutting down the blueTunes service. Effective January 31, 2011, the service will cease to operate and your data will be deleted. We believe technologies like blueTunes will become the standard in the future with the growing prevalence of the Internet and connected devices, but we're unable to continue supporting blueTunes in its current form. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this will cause you. If you need to download your data, contact us at http://www.bluetunes.net/contact and we'll provide you a method to do so.

Thank you for your understanding, and hope you have a rockin' 2011.

Andrew and Nick
    blueTunes founders"
    Not because of some riaa lawsuit.. But bc this was a startup that couldnt raise enough cash ..

That is all
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Well you keep mentioning how RIAA will block it and they're already starting on Amazon perhaps, so they are relevant.

However, this should be between Apple and HP only. The RIAA got their money and now want more for people to access music they already paid for. I hope someone bites their greedy hand off eventually, like Amazon. There is no right way for the RIAA unless you pay, pay and pay again, so someone has to get radical. HP and anyone else shouldn't need content provider permission just so customers can stream what they already paid for.
    The riaa has no involvement in the amazon "thing"... No one is suing anyone.. And Amazon is flexing its muscles to show that IT is the leader of the pack.. I see them succeeding ..

Oh.. And btw... How is this diff than this
    http://mobile.nytimes.com/article?a=767328&f=24

9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    You don't lose your iTunes library. It works on your computer regardless of what you are using as a portable device. iTunes music is, and has always been limited to Apple portable devices. That is neither new or surprising. Even so, there are ways to put it on portable devices, too. What you lose when moving away from an iDevice, is syncing. You lose the marriage between iTunes software and your device of choice. That IS proprietary, and that is what HP wants to appropriate. It has nothing to do with the raw music files.
    I didn't mean to word my post to sound like someone would lose their library, but rather, I was asking if they lose access to it if they move away from an iPhone to a Pre?
    I guess the part I don't understand is why can't someone buy the music and then have the access to it from their Pre?
    Maybe it's always been that way with iTunes, and they shouldn't expect to have access to it from their Pre.
    But I did not know that, and I do own a Macbook Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    The riaa has no involvement in the amazon "thing"... No one is suing anyone.. And Amazon is flexing its muscles to show that IT is the leader of the pack.. I see them succeeding ..

Oh.. And btw... How is this diff than this
    NYT: Time Warner Cable Defends Stre

Sure, not now anyway. But Sony is already blowing a gasket, how long before more follow? Wouldn't the RIAA handle the licensing demands? Or could each company just sue individually?

As for the cable issue, what's funny is you must be a subscriber already and this isn't even outside the home streaming from what I understand, and the content providers still want more money. They don't like portability even inside the home unless they get paid?? How is this much different from watching on a 2nd TV? We need new blood from a new generation in the content industry, seriously. The old business models are dying and old blood fights tooth and nail to hold on to old methods that aren't working anymore.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 03/30/2011 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I didn't mean to word my post to sound like someone would lose their library, but rather, I was asking if they lose access to it if they move away from an iPhone to a Pre?
    I guess the part I don't understand is why can't someone buy the music and then have the access to it from their Pre?
    Maybe it's always been that way with iTunes, and they shouldn't expect to have access to it from their Pre.
    But I did not know that, and I do own a Macbook Pro.
    You can still access files on your hard drive. The non-DRM files should work on your Pre, provided it supports M4A. You may have to use another syncing program besides iTunes, but if the files are on your hard drive, you can access them.

Am I the only one who simply drags/drops albums/songs to my device to play? I know people have playlists and stuff, but since I don't use those, the drag n drop works just fine
    I need my playlists, lol.

Serious, music in ITunes is not important to me, because I like to control my MP3s... buuuuut, there is ONE thing that the ITunes works well: podcasts!

This; and ONLY for this, I have ITunes (V. 9.1) in my PC, just to sync my Pre and my Treo (using Pocket Tunes) with podcasts.

The other options always have some problem with this...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    "The objection is treating iTunes as if it were open-source."

See that's exactly why the iTunes issue is Apple vs. HP, and not the content industry. The content industry will have a bone to pick with anyone over streaming it seems, no matter what program is used. If they do go after HP, it's likely it'll be because of any streaming they allow, even if they built their own program.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Am I the only one who simply drags/drops albums/songs to my device to play? I know people have playlists and stuff, but since I don't use those, the drag n drop works just fine
    My point exactly, and why I never saw the need for iTunes, and its proprietary file format to hijack my music rights into their domain.

I rip songs from the CD's I have as pure mp3 files, save them on my PC, and can play them from there or on any smartphone I might be using - 2 years ago, that was a Treo 650, today its a Palm Pre +.

PS.. never owned an iPod or dedicated music player of any sorts, either. Always used my smartphone - WAY more convenient.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Seems Amazon has seen reason, and decided to pursue licenses. Too lazy to dig up a link. There are many. There is a long way to go before this one is over. This reminds me of Google TV pushing ahead without licenses, only to have their service blocked by the content owners.
    That isn't reason, it's caving in. Why does anyone need to keep paying over and over for people to access their own files? Cloud Player isn't for public streaming, but personal streaming, which we should be entitled to.

And the cable situation is even more ridiculous, you can't even stream outside the home and must be a subscriber. And yet they want more money because it's a portable device(but can't leave the home). TWC already accommodated them by the requirement that you must stay home. I'm really, really sick of all these greedy, shortsighted content providers nickel and diming everyone. Then they wonder why pirating continues. How about people download movies and shows, convert and transfer them to the iPad, then they get no money at all? Is that better for them?

Apple could eventually license iTunes for integration if the price were right perhaps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12