Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I'm posting this one b/c one can learn from one's critics...however I disagree with the author 100%.

I disagree b/c in all likelihood, webOS on a laptop would do light duty work using far less energy than a full version of Win. My guess is that webOS would be able to allow one to watch a movie without using the DVD or if the DVD is used, I am sure it can be configured to use far less power than Win...I think webOS can be a power laptop users best friend.

For example, on a long flight, you want to listen to music, view photos and work on your calander...webOS can handle all of these.

Leo is on the money, b/c Win is a power and resource hog....webOS can do much of the light duty work, thus preserve your battery's power for use such as word processing, spreadsheets, photshop, etc...

Take care,

Jay

Practical Analysis: HP's Vision, Lawyer Meddling Aside
    In his first major address, CEO Leo Apotheker made the best of what he has inherited, but the focus on WebOS is wrongheaded.
    By Art Wittmann InformationWeek, March 26, 2011 12:00 AM

Analyst events are strange things, and Hewlett-Packard's comin
    g-out affair featuring CEO Leo Apotheker was no exception. Imagine having your vision edited by lawyers and you can begin to understand the challenge. The attorneys insist that the audience be read a boilerplate disclaimer, which warns about forward-looking statements. Imagine that: A vision that may include forward-looking statements. (For more on Apotheker, see "Is There Enough Software To Knit HP's Strategy Together?")

>> Rationalize the assets your company has. HP didn't buy Palm under Apotheker's watch, nor was he around for most of the acquisitions that contribute to HP's core businesses, but he still had to weave a story that made it sound like one company should make printers, phones, tablets, PCs, servers, a weird array of storage devices, some management products, some security products, and almost no software, including an operating system almost no one uses. That's a tall order, and Apotheker did a relatively good job of it. His vision is that HP is the cloud company that can do everything from store your data to analyze it, all in an environment that's secure and familiar to most enterprises.

>> Slide in a clear and present need for a new business or two. Preferably, these are businesses the company isn't in today but will need to be in soon. For HP those new lines are platform as a service, data warehousing, analytics, and, for consumers and businesses alike, an app store. That last one will probably play Sears to Apple's Bloomingdale's, but it's a new business announced, so that box gets checked.

Learn about a complete portfolio of automated solutions for managing data and storage infrastructure.

Effective storage management and data protection for cloud computing
    >> Rationalize what your business does and talk about some cool new things your business is going to do. But with this kind of storytelling, it's easy for a CEO to reach beyond his grasp, and Apotheker didn't disappoint. He said HP wants to put WebOS on 100 million devices per year. Given that HP is the No. 1 maker of PCs, that goal might seem reasonable. But compatibility is what brought HP to the pinnacle of a business with terrible margins, so pushing a proprietary operating system that has a tiny user and developer base is going to take substantial investment and cut into those margins. Claim all the "operating efficiency" you want, but Apple with iOS and Google with Android have spent some big cash to get where they are, and the folks in Redmond aren't going down without a fight (all appearances to the contrary notwithstanding). If HP wants WebOS to be big, it had better be ready to spend to make it big.

My bet is that'll never happen. While HP has a nice piece of the consumer market and a nicer piece of the enterprise market, the former will show less loyalty than the latter. If HP's end user devices seem expensive, proprietary, or lacking features, consumers will be just as happy to buy from a competitor.

HP understands only the hardware part of the consumer market. Consider photo sharing. Just because someone buys an HP printer or camera doesn't mean he'll prefer HP's proprietary photo-sharing service over Flickr or Facebook. That same thinking will probably doom the company's operating system and app store plans. HP's store will start out a distant fourth behind Android, Apple, and Microsoft. HP would have been better to partner with Google on Android and continue to do what it knows best: great hardware
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    I disagree b/c in all likelihood, webOS on a laptop would do light duty work using far less energy than a full version of Win. My guess is that webOS would be able to allow one to watch a movie without using the DVD or if the DVD is used, I am sure it can be configured to use far less power than Win...I think webOS can be a power laptop users best friend.
    What does that mean?
    Thanks Jay... but webOS on a laptop isn't going to be dual-boot... it's going to actually run in a browser window. So you will still be running Windows OS.
    Plus PC's may die like desktop's and netbook died. After 5=8 years, their may be no PC's at all, most likely.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Thanks Jay... but webOS on a laptop isn't going to be dual-boot... it's going to actually run in a browser window. So you will still be running Windows OS.
    Hi all,

You are CORRECT!

However, since webOS was created to be an open software fully adaptable by any user...don't you think the amazing HOME BREW community won't figure out how to boot the laptop with webOS only??

If I am not mistaken, didn't we have a thread or a Precentral article on the fact that a laptop is running on webOS ?

For that matter, if I thought of it, don't you think HP is already thinking of it....

It isn't just the fact that we want people to have access to webOS, we want them to use it!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    What does that mean?
    Hi,

What I mean is as follows:

1. (Keep in mind, that I still have a Centro and am using ancient PalmOS as my 2 year contract just ended last Oct).

Under PalmOS we were able to use a program call Kimono (I believe that is the name of the program/app). You were able to convert video files to play on a Treo or Centro.

I would think there is such software that does the same thing under webOS! Can't you convert a DVD or a down-loadable TV show or one you recorded yourself to play on a Pre, after all you can under PalmOS?

2. If a movie is on a DVD, when you play the DVD, there are many background programs and other items going on that Windows needs to do or routinely does without us ever asking it to....That is why Windows uses so much in the way of resources & power when it's running....

WebOS needs much less in the way of resources, the file is tiny compared to Windows....I am sure that once webOS is available on a laptop, the brilliant people who make up the HOME BREW community will figure out how to have webOS running without windows running. Since webOS is so much smaller than Windows, it's power requirements are much, much smaller...thus it will use less power b/c webOS won't be doing many of the background things that Windows does.

We have 2 laptops in my household...one uses Windows to play DVD's & play music...one has a native program, that plays DVD's & plays music, (I believe you can also fiddle with it to play DVD's in Windows and not the native software......on the second computer, if you play the native software much of what Windows would normally do, is shut down and the native software which is very small runs the DVD...the reason is it makes the battery last far longer...

I am not a programmer, yet I am sure webOS will be able to accomplish at least one if not both of these senarios...

The idea is not just to get webOS out there it is to make sure that people use it...the more the HOME BREW community and HP plays with webOS the more people will use it...

take care

Jay
    PS sorry to have been less then clear in my original posting!
    My guess is that webOS would be able to allow one to watch a movie without using the DVD or if the DVD is used, I am sure it can be configured to use far less power than Win...I think webOS can be a power laptop users best friend.
    if you didn't know, lots of hp laptops have been able to do that for several years using HP's Quickplay. QuickPlay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia it plays dvds without booting to windows. It's ok. can't say i use it though.

Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    After 5=8 years, their may be no PC's at all, most likely.
    I doubt that. desktops are cheap, easy to repair, and bulky and difficult to steal. Which are all useful traits for many corporations. And go to any city or suburban office and you'll find plenty of offices, many of which have desktops because it's cheap. Obviously there are places that may buy laptops when they upgrade. But plenty that will say, they are unwilling to pay an extra $300 for a laptop for everyone of their, 100,000 employees, if many of those employee's only job is to sit in a cubicle. One of my relatives works in a pharmaceutical company. They have research areas where the computers are bolted down and there is no sort of cloud storage to prevent espionage by other drug companies. they've got execs that have some laptops but some people they view it as a security risk.

The home computer user may not buy desktops, but i think that for the time being there will be plenty of businesses that need computers on the mega cheap. But as long as their are varied needs of business consumers i think there will be varied types of computing products offered.

The idea is not just to get webOS out there it is to make sure that people use it...the more the HOME BREW community and HP plays with webOS the more people will use it...
    Not sure about that. I think if HP's idea is to rely on a homebrew community to provide functionality and to push their products to consumers they've horrendously failed. Because, most people don't want to hack anything. They just want something to work. I mean, there's homebrew now. It's not exactly making people line up for phones. I mean to me the fact that homebrew is so strong is evidence of Palm's complete inability to provide some core functions in their OS. Regardless, i think its more of a niche. So for most of the product they offer, HP is gonna have to do it themselves. Because for most people once they buy an HP product they aren't running to precentral. It will have to stand on what it is when they take it out of the store.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 03/27/2011 at 03:07 PM.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    if you didn't know, lots of hp laptops have been able to do that for several years using HP's Quickplay. QuickPlay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia it plays dvds without booting to windows. It's ok. can't say i use it though. .
    Hi all,

Thank you!

I didn't know that HP has Qucikplay, none of our (my last desk top was an HP) or our 2 laptops are HP....I am not surprised that HP has it's own software to do so...however, I am sure some enterprising HOME BREW people will figure a way to splice webOS into Qucikplay or get webOS to do the same functions for paying a DVD along with all other functions that webOS apps will be able to do on a webOS smartphone....

I have always thought & still do, once we get beyond a certain number of apps, the total will reach critical mass and that will cause more and more apps to be written...for the most part that was already happening under Palm's ownership of webOS...I'm sure will will see that pace quicken...

1. b/c HP has so much clout and firms won't have to worry if webOS will be around long enough to write apps for.

2. With all of the porting tools out there for existing apps to be ported to webOS, HP has repeatedly stated that they will supply the tech manpower to help with the porting process...

3. HP is a 3000# gorilla in the room...since HP has a finger in every aspect of computing and the internet...they can flex their marketing clout muscles to get apps written...

IE: an app firm uses HP servers or blades..they will need new one sooner or later...HP can say..we will give you a GREAT deal if you write for webOS or they don't use HP products and HP says "have I got a deal for you"....

The Internet as we know if would hardly be able to function if HP disappeared as a frim....HP has to turn that to their advantage and "twist arms" to get apps written, (if need be).

take care,

Jay

PS Let's also not forget, that the Pre 2, Veer, TouchPad and the Pre 3..were all in various stages of development BEFORE HP bought out Palm...(I don't know if HP has confirmed this, however it is only common sense that it's true)...with HP's $ and market share...I expect many more smartphones, net books and tablets to come to the marketplace quickly....HP has already stated that there will be other webOS products rolled out later in the year, (which is one of the reasons, I think I will stick to a 1 year contract...but Ii want to see the rates for buying the phone for a 1 year contract)....We won't have to wait a very long time for smartphone roll outs, as webOS has be purchased by a virtual money bottomless pit!
    I'll believe it when i see it.
    I'm not sure i share this enthusiasm for all these devices the OP thinks HP will dish out.

Updating webOS just for a tablet and a few smartphones is proving challenging enough for them. Heck, even apple is challenged with just adding a cdma iphone to its simple list of ipad, ipod touch, gsm iphone 4 & 3GS. The verizon iphone still hasn't seen an update to 4.3.

I think its critical that HP evolves and updates webOS. Start as simple as possible. Touchpad obviously. Then Pre 3 (cdma & gsm) & Veer(gsm). We can only assume a slab phone is coming but we have heard that a 7" touchpad is on way.

Already i think that's too much and should be simplified. But wait there's more. There's WebOS netbook rumors. WebOS on printers. And there's that webOS in an app or browser plug-in to consider in any webOS updates.

That's very ambitious IMO. But i fear its too ambitious to mean a good experience on any one device. And if you're a dev, where do you start? Focus on tablets? Phones? That PC app thingy?

I think it'd be interesting to see that touchpad launch along with the Pre 3 & Veer and see HP's support team in action for the next 6 months. I'd feel more comfortable then.
    i just don't think quick starting dvd's are a draw because that's been around for a while and it hasn't been a big draw. If it wasn't a draw then why now?
    I think there is a difference between "developers" and "major companies that want to make apps." I've seen little support up to this point and haven't downloaded a single webos app in one year. I haven't recognized the company releasing an app in years. So since it hasn't happened yet "i'll believe it when i see it." Because getting developers is not their big problem it's getting companies to make an app. And merely having a relation ship with a company doesn't mean that company will make an app It just means they want to buy 30 servers. And the question is can you get the apps i want through that releationship? What if you don't have relationship with ESPN, EPL, NFL, Yahoo, or just some small production podcast that i want?
    I question the things HP/Palm has focused on with webos. Touch to Share, stacks? Nothing wrong with that but i question the game plan. to sell touch to share you've gotta convince a purchaser that they will get a touchpad and phone which i think is gonna be rare. Otherwise it's not that useful a feature. I'd have rather they focus on adding the features that interest me, music player features, camera, video streaming, etc. And i think most consumers are more like me. So It's a wait and see with the whole HP/Web OS game plan for me. It's not what i would have done but if it's the right thing to do we'll just have to see. I mean if in june they are selling a several million of phones and several million touchpads they'll be doing ok.
    Besides, using webOS as a DVD player wouldn't result in less power consumption. The DVD drive itself is what destroys battery life.
    i went on a whole minimalist thing so i sold all my dvds to get rid of clutter. So i'm probably not the best use case either.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Besides, using webOS as a DVD player wouldn't result in less power consumption. The DVD drive itself is what destroys battery life.
    Hi all,

Won't using a down loadable movie save power by not using the DVD & using webOS in place of Win?

Take care,

Jay
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Netflix and Hulu run on Windows but not webOS so I doubt webOS will be anyone's primary choice for streaming movies. If you're going to stream video on a device that has Windows installed, you're probably going to use Windows.
    Hi,

What your saying is that currently webOS can't be used for Netflix and Hulu. However, if an app is written perhaps by the home brew community to have webOS run a streaming video or movie...I am sure it would use far less power, thus allowing your laptop battery to last longer....I also think it would also be a sure fire hit of an app....

Earlier in this thread, I said that windows has a great many things going on in the background, that webOS doesn't need to do...these background programs use power and use up resourses....Windows is a resource hog as well as a power hog....

My point wasn't and isn't that webOS can play movies or videos now, it was that I'm convinced it can and would make a laptops battery last longer....

A longer lasting battery on a trip is a plus....whenever I travel with my laptop, I'm concerned that the battery will last long enough to last the length of the movie...I have enough things to carry I don't want to carry an extra battery....

I have stopped to charging my battery at the airport while on a stop over from one flight to another... I look for an outlet, that is in the lobby of the terminal, for the janitorial staff.

I'm sure other people do the same...

Take care,

Jay
    Hi,

What your saying is that currently webOS can't be used for Netflix and Hulu. However, if an app is written perhaps by the home brew community to have webOS run a streaming video or movie...I am sure it would use far less power, thus allowing your laptop battery to last longer....I also think it would also be a sure fire hit of an app....

Earlier in this thread, I said that windows has a great many things going on in the background, that webOS doesn't need to do...these background programs use power and use up resourses....Windows is a resource hog as well as a power hog....
    But you can do all that on Windows, anyway. Just rip a few DVDs and you're good for a few hours.

Windows has become pretty decent when it comes to power management too.
    i don't have dvds and don't stream netflix at the moment. i got almost 2 terabytes of video (movies, tv series, home movies, sporting events and some concerts) all as files. for me whatever webos had as a front end would have to be as versatile as vlc/zoom player. that means it would have to do the job of those apps and better. but the big hurdle is probably codecs, extension and format compatibility and interfaces. so i'd need xvid, divx, h246, ac3, mp4, aac. dts, .ts, .iso rips, mkvs, mp3, mpg. I'd need subtitle support for .sub files, .srt files, because i've got a bunch of subtitled movies like Old Boy, Crow Zero, IP man etc, etc,

the other thing is i can't see that being a big selling point. I rarely watch movies on my laptop. and i'm not buying a device for the rare time i use it. I just don't think all this stuff is that big a selling point.
    Yep, i think we're off track. For video, isn't that one reason why people are going crazy over tablets?

With windows higher end netbooks and laptops having better battery life, i'm clueless as to why anyone would want a webOS version. Windows 8 will focus even more on mobility, multitouch, and simplicity.

Honestly, i think its pretty stupid for HP to even be mentioning this stuff when they don't have one...not one..successful product out there right now where webOS does make sense. I don't think their partners are buying it either.
    "Practical Analysis", eh?

Ok, lets try this one on for size:

What, on earth, is HP thinking by putting a touchscreen OS onto desktop computers and laptop computers, which do NOT have touchscreens on them (printers can, sure, I understand that, but, do you want to stream music or have email access on your printer?)???

Either HP isn't telling the whole story, and there is MUCH much more to it than they have revealed, or, they have lost their sense of rationale: even running WebOS in a window on a PC with MS Windows on it yields no special benefit that Windows itself can't do natively (connect to the cloud, access email, play games, etc), other than provide a touchscreen capability - which is meainingless on non-touchscreen devices.

Sorry, but it just had to be stated - I just wish that HP would concetrate their obviously considerable efforts and "channel prowess" on scaling the OS on smartphones and tablets where WebOS can really be a star, if done and marketted correctly.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by lcguy View Post
    "practical analysis", eh?

Ok, lets try this one on for size:

What, on earth, is hp thinking by putting a touchscreen os onto desktop computers and laptop computers, which do not have touchscreens on them (printers can, sure, i understand that, but, do you want to stream music or have email access on your printer?)???

Either hp isn't telling the whole story, and there is much much more to it than they have revealed, or, they have lost their sense of rationale: Even running webos in a window on a pc with ms windows on it yields no special benefit that windows itself can't do natively (connect to the cloud, access email, play games, etc), other than provide a touchscreen capability - which is meainingless on non-touchscreen devices.

Sorry, but it just had to be stated - i just wish that hp would concetrate their obviously considerable efforts and "channel prowess" on scaling the os on smartphones and tablets where webos can really be a star, if done and marketted correctly.
    +111111
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast