1.    #1  
    Hi all,

While this is a brief article...it comes directly to the point....it would be a big mistake to underestimate, webOS & Palm/HP!

Take care,

Jay

Can HP make webOS a contender?
    By GetConnected, Last Updated: March 24, 2011 9:30am

Can HP make webOS a contender? | Tech Blog | Blogs | Toronto Sun

Before the tech world was fawning over smartphones and tablets, the hot tech accessory was the PDA, an ultra-small, portable computer. Palm was far and away the leader in these devices, largely thanks to their Linux-based mobile OS called PalmOS. Last year Palm was acquired by HP, who has a firm foot planted in the hardware market and are now taking steps to be a dominant player in software.

Continuing with their track record for innovation, HP now has a strong successor to PalmOS called webOS. The software has received raves for its open architecture, Web 2.0 integration, intuitiveness, and multitasking ability. webOS is also one of the first to widely use over-the-air software updates for its devices.

In just a few months we’ll see the release of the highly-anticipated HP TouchPad, which will be the first tablet running webOS. In the meantime, HP will be releasing two webOS-based smartphones in early spring, the HP Veer and the HP Pre3. Both smartphones will have slide-out QWERTY keyboards, an intuitive multitasking interface and the innovative HP Synergy communications app. The HP Synergy app integrates your e-mail, instant messaging, calendar, contacts, and video calling in one seamless interface; something that will certainly make it competitive with Blackberry OS and increase the appeal to the business audience.

HP also recently announced that it will be including webOS on all its personal computers (running in conjunction with Windows 7) by the end of 2011. This alone will make webOS a major contender since HP is the largest computer manufacturer in the world.

With mobile OS platforms like Apple’s iOS and Google’s Android firmly established in the marketplace, HP faces an uphill battle with its webOS. However, I think it would be unwise to underestimate HP because webOS has already attracted a strong following on Palm devices and overall, it looks like a very promising product!
    Last edited by ilovedessert; 03/26/2011 at 03:13 AM.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    They can make it a contender, but it's up to HP... Slow releases/delays won't help. Pre 2 is awsome, but I feel an update (Pre 3 or ever) is so far out. So i guess it all depends on how they integrate webOS w/ windows, which scares me.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    They can make it a contender just as long as they provide good support and upgrades each year. The Pre3, as of of Summer, will be long overdue. I can forgive Palm/HP for this one, since they did miss a product-cycle with all the acquisition deal. By the time the Pre4 comes I won't have any mercy on them; I'll expect top notch quality.

HP has to get moving to catch up for all the time lost. If they want to be competitive the must get releasing hardware and software updates Apple-style a year from now or sooner, with yearly updates and short release dates to keep customers happy. Customers who have to wait and are stuck with old software/hardware are NOT happy customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titano View Post
    They can make it a contender just as long as they provide good support and upgrades each year. The Pre3, as of of Summer, will be long overdue. I can forgive Palm/HP for this one, since they did miss a product-cycle with all the acquisition deal. By the time the Pre4 comes I won't have any mercy on them; I'll expect top notch quality.

HP has to get moving to catch up for all the time lost. If they want to be competitive the must get releasing hardware and software updates Apple-style a year from now or sooner, with yearly updates and short release dates to keep customers happy. Customers who have to wait and are stuck with all software/hardware are NOT happy customers.
    where is the TY button on the forums app???

HP has to get moving to catch up for all the time lost. If they want to be competitive the must get releasing hardware and software updates Apple-style a year from now or sooner, with yearly updates and short release dates to keep customers happy. Customers who have to wait and are stuck with old software/hardware are NOT happy customers.

Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    where is the TY button on the forums app???

Yes, there is no 'Thank You' button using the mobile forums either.
    I'd say that is a very reasonable expectation.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I'd say that is a very reasonable expectation.
    hi all,

I agree....however we must all make sure we are all HP/Palm cheerleaders!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Marketing + Great OS. Bound to succeed.
    I agree 100%
    This sums up my feelings exactly.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by prethadd81 View Post
    I agree 100%
    This sums up my feelings exactly.
    hi,

I don't think we will have anything but praise for the Pre 3!. This also makes me want to have a ONE year contract...something I am giving serious thought to...

Take care,

Jay
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 04/03/2011 at 01:11 AM. Reason: fixed typo