1.    #1  
    HP To Build First Experience Center In Beijing. March 31.

HP has started to spread the experience centers and I expect they do worldwide. Besides the USA, now HP is about to launch one in Beijing China , but will do all across the worlds most populated nation. After that HP is planning to expand its experience network in Southeast Asia: maybe in Vietnam, Myanmar, Thailand,Laos, Cambodia, Honk Kong, Philippines, Indonesia,Malasya, Singapore and Brunei.

Full article from China News:

Enhacing communication between consumers and HP products.

American technology company HP has held a new strategy, brand and product launch in Shanghai and the company announced that it will open its first experience center in Beijing this month.

According to Jos Brenkel, president for the Asia Pacific and Japan regions of HP information product group, to enhance the communication between consumers and HP products, the company plans to establish its first experience center in Beijing on March 31, 2011. He also revealed that HP will distribute experience centers across China and Southeast Asia to expand its experience network in these regions.

During the launch meeting, HP also displayed its new products, including its tablet computer TouchPad based on the WebOS operating system.

HP TouchPad adopts a 9.7-inch touch screen and it supports virtual keyboard and quick start technologies. Its browser supports Adobe Flash Player 10.1 version and it can use the thousands of WebOS applications.

HP said that HP TouchPad will be launched in the Chinese market later this year, and its retail price and launch time will be announced soon.

HP To Build First Experience Center In Beijing - ChinaTechNews.com - The Technology Source for the Latest Chinese News on Internet, Computers, Digital, Science, Electronics, Law, Security, Software, Web 2.0, Telecom, and Wireless Industries
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's nice that they're trying to expand into Asia, but they need to work on removing geo-restrictions from the App Catalog. What good is an experience center if the people who visit won't be able to access paid apps?
    Exactly. HP badly needs to expand the list of "official countries" if they want to make a global impact. It's nice to see free apps in my region but very frustrating not to be able to purchase apps.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    It's nice that they're trying to expand into Asia, but they need to work on removing geo-restrictions from the App Catalog. What good is an experience center if the people who visit won't be able to access paid apps?
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Exactly. HP badly needs to expand the list of "official countries" if they want to make a global impact. It's nice to see free apps in my region but very frustrating not to be able to purchase apps.
    Does it depend on the habilty of the app developers to translate or get translated theirs to those languages, in this case mandarin and south asians ?
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Does it depend on the habilty of the app developers to translate or get translated theirs to those languages, in this case mandarin and south asians ?
    No it's not the translation, it's because HP prevents sales to those outside a limited list of countries by the way they have the App Catalog set up. Plenty of discussion of this eleswhere on P|C.
    I think it has to do with paying taxes on the money they make, they just need to make sure, they can pay taxes, which is so stupid, as H/P does business in all these countries and paying taxes too
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    No it's not the translation, it's because HP prevents sales to those outside a limited list of countries by the way they have the App Catalog set up. Plenty of discussion of this eleswhere on P|C.
    Maybe that is one of the reasons developers are not interested enough for a webos app development. ?
    i think paying taxes won't be a problem as far as i can look at the geo-restriction side... they are HP for crying out loud, they are a worldwide company and their products are used in every corner in the world.
    i think the problem is, they wont take risks to see if their webos gadgets will be a hit in unsupported areas esp in Asia where android and iOS have dominated the smartphone market.
    they should take risks, and i think webOS is a good contender for most smartphone users in Asia. a new user UI, true multitasking, a different kind of experience!

risks have to be taken in every kind of business, and i think this should not be a question for HP because they've been in the scene for a long time.

"...understand risk, tolerate risk.... and of course, take risk..."
  9.    #9  
    Trying to have a congruence point between the way the App catalog is set up and geo restrictions.

Can the App Catalog set up just be solved by HP and the geo restrictions have to do with every country laws, or HP is having problems to find a way the customer can easly pull in paid apps when he/she belong to a far away oversea country ?

I am not an expert in this matter just trying to be logic . Thanks.
    Is it me or are people and HP talking more about the touchPad and less about phones?! I'm worried about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by prethadd81 View Post
    Is it me or are people and HP talking more about the touchPad and less about phones?! I'm worried about that.
    If you check, Apple are talking more about tablets than they are about phones as well.

HP will probably start talking up phones when they have one for sale that "people will want", i.e., one that's a buttonless slab. Thanks to the Apple effect, professional keyboards (ones that work) are now, like, totally 2006 dude and people can't be seen with something so uncool. Keyboards were once "practical", now they're "old-fashioned". I don't follow this line of thought, but the market at large certainly is.

HP's recently unveiled offerings all aim for that part of the market that doesn't mind looking "old-fashioned" to a bunch of technology hipsters that have elevated wrong typing to a virtue and are gleefully uploading pictures of what nonsense SMS their iPhone sent for them last night because it's impossible to seriously type on.

I predict that HP WILL talk more about phones when they launch a 'media-centric' monolith phone. Right now they've announced two new "professional" smartphones. I reckon one or two smartphones for "non-professionals" will follow.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 03/26/2011 at 04:14 AM.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by prethadd81 View Post
    IMO both the TouchPad and the Pre 3 are coming together for a June launch. The bundle is:

You can "tap to share" but you have buy both to do so.

I donīt think HP will lose that sales opportunity.