1.    #1  
    Now that those of you who doctored your Verizon Pluses to 2.1 have had a chance to get your bills, can someone please give us the definitive word on whether Verizon started charging you to use the hotspot and tether?

This is the one thing keeping me from taking the plunge.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I did not have any kind of an increase on my bill.
    As long as the ESN on your phone is for a Pre+, the MHS doesn't cost anything. The plan is tied to the phone ESN, not the version of the OS they are using.

And if that's your only concern, you need to check out FreeTether in Preware. It's amazing.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    So, sorry for my ignorance but what is the deal with FreeTether as far as Verizon is concerned? Is it that the Pre is so low on their radar that they don't care about the relatively few people sneaking by without paying the extra for tethering?
    no change to my Bill after update and I use freetether.
    I think the OP is looking for a specific answer to a specific question, and so am I. I have Verizon Pre +. My plan includes the FREE mobile hotspot feature which is the main reason I bought the phone. (Well...the phone was free too.)
    The question is directed to people who have the same hardware and plan.
    I (we) would like to be sure that if we move to WebOS 2.x, that the FREE mobile hotspot connection feature continues, AND that the MB's used are applied to the "connect/hotspot used" portion of the Verizon account, and not to the "data used" portion of the account. Can anyone who has this feature and has made the switch confirm that this is how it shows up on the bill? Thanks!
    There are several other threads covering this. Upgrading doesn't impact the free mobile hotspot or the 5GB's of data allocated just for mobile hotspot tethering.
    Ditto - two phones with 2.1.0 and bill doesn't look any different. But the batteries last longer and the phones are faster.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    I don't even know why it matters. Since freeTether came out of beta i've just been using that. Not because I need more than the 5GB the MHS give, I actually don't, but because the freeTether seems to fix some of the speed issues certain devices had trying to connect through the Pre. Also when only using one device bluetooth tethering is soooo much less battery intensive than WiFi tethering
    Quote Originally Posted by fahzz View Post
    I think the OP is looking for a specific answer to a specific question, and so am I. I have Verizon Pre +. My plan includes the FREE mobile hotspot feature which is the main reason I bought the phone. (Well...the phone was free too.)
    The question is directed to people who have the same hardware and plan.
    I (we) would like to be sure that if we move to WebOS 2.x, that the FREE mobile hotspot connection feature continues, AND that the MB's used are applied to the "connect/hotspot used" portion of the Verizon account, and not to the "data used" portion of the account. Can anyone who has this feature and has made the switch confirm that this is how it shows up on the bill? Thanks!
    Answered above. If you have a Pre+ ESN, you can use the MHS app for free up to 5GB of data usage.

You can also use the app called FreeTether and have unlimited tethering until VZW figures out how to stop that... which isn't likely.

So you have two free options on a Pre+ regardless of which com board or webOS version you are using.

That's the answer.
    My bill reflected data use under the hotspot, and it was still free, as always. I've had 2.1 on this phone for close to a month now, and this is on the bill that just came. So YES...it's still free.