• Motorola

3 3.85%
  • Blacberry

10 12.82%
  • I love clicking on polls

9 11.54%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After seeing a bunch of new phones from Motorola, Samsung with IP-2 beating specs on tablet (we all know it doesnt power up yet) and HTC, what do you guys think, would the WebOS growth would have been better with somebody else, other than H/P?

Update: I wish I could rephrase the poll question to Who you think should H/P license webOS to inorder to have the biggest growth.
    Last edited by kkhanmd; 06/01/2011 at 04:21 PM.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    I think Palm was bought by the right company. If another company really wanted Palm & webOS, they would have outbid the $1.2 Billion that HP paid for it. Had Apple, Google, or RIM purchased Palm, it would have been solely for it's IP's & Patents. They would have dissected Palm and webOS, integrated whatever bits & pieces they wanted into their own OS' , phones, tablets, etc., then tossed Palm, it's employees, & webOS in the gutter.

As for Samsung, HTC and Motorola; they could have put webOS on some sexy hardware. But why would they dish out over $1 Billion for Palm, when they can continue to throw Android on their phones & tablets for free.

Though we don't know exactly how HP's vision for webOS will play out, I think Palm ended up with the right company. Had it been any other company, webOS would have just become a faded memory.

To sort of answer your question, if I had to choose another company, I would pick Apple. To have the notifications, multitasking, synergy, just type, etc. from webOS incorporated into iOS, along with all their apps would be Epic!!! Include touchstone charging and touch to share features on the iPhone & iPad would be awesome as well.
    I agree with the above post 100% but not with RIM. If RIM had bought palm, yeah ip and patents etc would be great, but they needed an overhaul to their bbOS and qnx operating system. That being said, imagime webOS with blackberry's PIM baked in with bbm and a playbook featuring webOS. All this while preserving the keyboard type phone..
    Vyruz Reaper is, IMO, dead on.

The most appropriate suitor for Palm was RIM, in my opinion - they would have been able to fast track WebOS onto their business users with the same formfactor devices, and stoped the exodus to iOS and Android pretty much dead in its tracks.

And there is NO way RIm could have adapted Android into its ecosystem and kept its credibility.

I've read several articles about RIM's self denial last year regarding their predicted declining market share; they were drinking way too much of their own koolaid, and have started to, and will likely continue to pay dearly for it.

HP is a good match, but, we need to see how it fairs over the long haul - as HP is a very conservative company in the creativity area - they lack that "rule breaking" type of inovation that Apple has - so, Palm had to adjust pretty significantly when they first walked in the door - I don't think RIM would have had that same problem, and both companies would have hit the market running within acouple of months of the deal finalizing, and never looking back.

IMO, of course.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

5.    #5  
    I think, if Apple had bought Palm, then just the name Apple would have made a huge amount of people buy webOS products. and I knew Steve Jobs wanted Palm patents, but pretty sure he would have also kept webOS going as a separate project, in addition to integration into i-OS
    So you're asking if Palm should've gone to Mr. Right, or Mr. Right Now?

And isn't RIM already "adopting webOS" in their Playbook? Show anyone off the street the Playbook and the Pre 2 and they would say both are made by the same people...
    The right company bought Palm.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Any established successful handset maker like HTC, Nokia, or RIM certainly would not have made a wholesale switch of all of its devices to webOS all at once.
    Maybe not all at once, but Motorola could have eventually transitioned to webOS. Rumors are that they are working on a web-based OS.

Is Motorola gearing up to abandon Android for its own OS? | VentureBeat

If true, and it seems very likely that it is, Motorola could be preparing for a future where it gives up on Android entirely. Alternatively, (and this is my own speculation) the new OS could serve as companion software to Android that would help Motorola differentiate its smartphones and tablets from the seemingly endless supply of Android competitors.
    Biggest growth: Hp.. over 100 million devices next year.

With that said, I think Hp needs to dump their tablet design, and pay Samsung for their current generation hardware. Doubt they will, because there's too much pride, but the current touchpad's hardware doesn't look attractive.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    Biggest growth: Hp.. over 100 million devices next year.

With that said, I think Hp needs to dump their tablet design, and pay Samsung for their current generation hardware. Doubt they will, because there's too much pride, but the current touchpad's hardware doesn't look attractive.
    HP for sure may put webOS on PC's, though PC's may not be there for too long.
    Do we know for sure who was in bidding game? If I remember, Samsung, Motorola and RIM wasn't bidding.
    I think HP is right company, but wish it was Apple. Apple planed to keep webOS and to use it against RIM.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    ... Any established successful handset maker like HTC, Nokia, or RIM certainly would not have made a wholesale switch of all of its devices to webOS all at once. They would have the same legacy device problem as HP has times 20. ..
    RIM and Nokia are not the same as HTC, who is just a handset manufacturer that bundles Android on their devices - they don't own the OS, and will make phone for anyone who pays for them, with their inherent "world market" view of the cell phone and smartphone market - and WebOS is perfect for that.

Nokia would have been my second guess for acquiring PALM - but, their management just wouldnt consider it - in hidsight, I do believe that they could have benefitted the most from WebOS in thier IP - look at where they are now - shifting to WinMo7 - certainly NOT the optimal situation they would have liked to be in - controlling their own OS, especially one as heralded as WebOS, would have been a huge boost for them.

RIM, onthe other hand, supposedly did look at PALM, and passed on bidding, thinking they could just improve their OS - I think we can all agree, now, that was a HUGE and narrowminded mistake - RIM is dropping fast, and even corporate users are flocking to Android and iOS - the RIM OS is stale, even with the newer hardware - it lacks ingenuity and usability comaprable to their competition, inlcuding WebOS early devices like the Pre and the Pixi.

I dare say that if you could have both of these companies do a 1 year rewind of time and retain the knowledge of how their ignornace did NOT pay off, there would be a HUGE bidding war for Palm, with both of them the most serious of suitors.

WebOS is here to stay - HP seems to have a vision all thier own; PALM could have done MUCH worse (HTC, APPLE, etc) by being acquired by a company just looking for the IP and then shelving WebOS forever - but, not HP - HP wants into the mobile space big time, and this is their big chance, and they've indicated as much publically on lots of occassions now.

Now, if they can just get out of their own way and do it, already...

(Wwayyyyy too much bureacracy and red tape - they need to cut out the overmanagement and start breaking some of their own rules to think outside the box)

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

I voted RIM. This is my personal preference. I'd have a preferred a company with a narrower focus and one thing in mind..that webOS platform and also has a specific audience in mind. Not a company with multiple lines doing a little bit of everything who seems to have trouble determining who their market is.

HP also has this little windows sideline going on which also seems to screw with their focus. Enterprise, consumers? Which for which? Does it have to be one for business, one for consumers? Why not both? Leo then chimes in they'll ship future windows tablets if MS can get it right.
    I went with Samsung.

Apple, Google, RIM, as others have said, would have dissected Webos to take all the good bits and incorporate in their own respective OS's... webos would have ceased to exist. Moto is too invested in Droid, so I think the something similar would have happened.

That leaves samsung and HTC. I only went with Samsung because they seem quicker and slightly more innovative than HTC. I believe they would have kept Palm intact and supported them with $$ and good hardware which would have let Palm focus all energy on the software.

What about HP? So far it seems like HP is too conservative and too slow. Also, they are not in mobile so Palm has to split their resources between hardware and software. Just because HP makes a ton of printers and computers doesn't mean A) those engineers can design phones/tablets and B) those engineers are available to work on Palm products.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimijames View Post
    I went with Samsung.

Apple, Google, RIM, as others have said, would have dissected Webos to take all the good bits and incorporate in their own respective OS's... webos would have ceased to exist. Moto is too invested in Droid, so I think the something similar would have happened.

That leaves samsung and HTC. I only went with Samsung because they seem quicker and slightly more innovative than HTC. I believe they would have kept Palm intact and supported them with $$ and good hardware which would have let Palm focus all energy on the software.

What about HP? So far it seems like HP is too conservative and too slow. Also, they are not in mobile so Palm has to split their resources between hardware and software. Just because HP makes a ton of printers and computers doesn't mean A) those engineers can design phones/tablets and B) those engineers are available to work on Palm products.
    I also think Apple and Samsung would have caused a lot faster webOS growth than current H/P. People would have flocked to Samsung for the great hardware and Apple cause it says Apple
    Nobody buys Samsung because it's Samsung (TV sets notwithstanding). People buy Samsung phones now because they're one of a handful of manufacturers making high-end Android phones.

I doubt that Samsung would've had the balls to ditch Android and go all-in on webOS the way HP has. In a best-case scenario, they may have let webOS phones and Android phones run side-by-side for a couple months to see which the market prefers and webOS would more than likely be dead by now, or possibly undead as some sort of skin over Android.

If Apple had bought Palm, the announcement that webOS would not be developed any longer would have followed on the next day if not later on the same, and Apple would now be invincible in almost any conceivable phone-related lawsuit.

It may sound kinda strange, but I think Google would have made a lot more sense as a buyer than pretty much any other company - including HP. They're THE web company, and an operating system built on the web would have been perfect for them. I suppose they know it as well which is why they're still working on their own Web OS, which they call Chrome OS because "Chrome" is the name of their Web browser (yeah, go figure... not that webOS is a creative name for a Web OS)

Buying webOS would have allowed them to scrap the sloooooowly developing Chrome OS project -AND- given them the single-best user interface imagined in the past 25 years.

Alas, Palm was worth more to HP than Google, so Google were forced to instead drive forward their fledgling Chrome OS platform by giving laptops nobody would want to buy away to developers in desperate hopes of binding them to the as-yet nonexistent platform and to poach the guy who came up with the cards interface so he could clean up Android's cluster**** of a user interface.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Nobody buys Samsung because it's Samsung (TV sets notwithstanding). People buy Samsung phones now because they're one of a handful of manufacturers making high-end Android phones.

I doubt that Samsung would've had the balls to ditch Android and go all-in on webOS the way HP has. In a best-case scenario, they may have let webOS phones and Android phones run side-by-side for a couple months to see which the market prefers and webOS would more than likely be dead by now, or possibly undead as some sort of skin over Android.

If Apple had bought Palm, the announcement that webOS would not be developed any longer would have followed on the next day if not later on the same, and Apple would now be invincible in almost any conceivable phone-related lawsuit.

It may sound kinda strange, but I think Google would have made a lot more sense as a buyer than pretty much any other company - including HP. They're THE web company, and an operating system built on the web would have been perfect for them. I suppose they know it as well which is why they're still working on their own Web OS, which they call Chrome OS because "Chrome" is the name of their Web browser (yeah, go figure... not that webOS is a creative name for a Web OS)

Buying webOS would have allowed them to scrap the sloooooowly developing Chrome OS project -AND- given them the single-best user interface imagined in the past 25 years.

Alas, Palm was worth more to HP than Google, so Google were forced to instead drive forward their fledgling Chrome OS platform by giving laptops nobody would want to buy away to developers in desperate hopes of binding them to the as-yet nonexistent platform and to poach the guy who came up with the cards interface so he could clean up Android's cluster**** of a user interface.
    The only reason google was there was because Apple was bidding, I think Samsung would have combined BADA with webOS and come out with something great
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post

I really don't think they would have dumped Chrome OS for webOS. Chrome OS is based on the Chrome browser, which has much better standards support than webOS in its current state. Why dump an OS based on a more advanced browser for an OS whose webkit base hasn't been updated in a while? Maybe they would've incorporated some aspects of the webOS UI, but for now, Chrome OS is looking like a complete copy of Chrome, which is what they wanted to do in the first place.

And of course they gave away laptops nobody wanted to buy, since they were testing out Chrome OS with a wider audience. They don't need to "bind developers" to Chrome OS. Look at the Chrome Store, available in the latest Google Chrome. It already has tons of apps. Plus, the "full web" is available using Chrome, which logically means it will also be available on Chrome OS. Developers already developing for the web are developing for Chrome and Chrome OS.
    I've gotta go with HP. Though I've seen some good arguments for others. RSanchez1 said it best: Mr. Right or Mr. Right Now.

If the subject is who would be the best purchaser for the future of the OS, who else would have made the commitment that HP has already? (remember when the conventional wisdom was that Palm would be purchased, stripped and left for dead)

Other options would have only made sense for the purchaser (IP protection, keeping someone else from having the OS, or eliminating a potential future rival)

... and of course they have growth potential. How HP executes will determine how much growth there will be, and it won't be in one quarter, but the potential is there.

Still don't understand how Win 7 keeps getting a free pass from so many when Microsoft hasn't done jack worthy of mention in the mobile computing space in seemingly forever. (They did do a better job courting developers)
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Definitely samsung. They'd love webos because they'd have their own os to market and put multiple phones on different carriers.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast