1.    #1  
    Greetings,

My buddy just bought a TREO 300 and he likes it. I was helping him to put some software on the unit and noticed that his screen is EXTREMELY sharp, Brighter than my Treo 270! It almost looked as if the color depth was greater on the 300. His TREO 300 whites are brighter white... my 270 whites are Yellowish and dull. My icons are faded compared to his. Do I have a bad unit or has there been a documented screen upgrade on the 300 unit? This is something that was bothering me even before I saw his 300.

Some help here friends?

Best,

JameyK
    Can't answer for the 300, but my first 270 looked very good and bright white. I had to get a replacement recently for another issue and the screen on this one has that yellowish tint to it.
    I asked support about it and the answer was that they are all a little different in tint to some degree.
    That was just an answer for poor qc if you ask me!
    Have you tried adjusting the brightness and contrast? (Option Q)
    "When I am Empress...Heads will roll!"
    Queen of Parts
    Originally posted by fixitgal
    Have you tried adjusting the brightness and contrast? (Option Q)
    Yes,
    That doesn't help.
    Originally posted by millerhifi
    Can't answer for the 300, but my first 270 looked very good and bright white. I had to get a replacement recently for another issue and the screen on this one has that yellowish tint to it.
    I asked support about it and the answer was that they are all a little different in tint to some degree.
    That was just an answer for poor qc if you ask me!
    I would demand another replacement.

It's not necessarily poor QC, however. They probably just have parameters for what's acceptable and both types of displays fall within that range. For those owners who don't see the brighter displays, having one of the not-so-bright displays would probably be quite acceptable (as was the case with JameyK before seeing the 300 with the better display).
    I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. I'd have to pay another $25 bucks to maybe get a similar screen issue. I'm already into this thing for plenty of time and money!
    Thanks for the advice though.

Greg
    I purchased a 270 when it first came out and I also noticed the same thing. I ended up buying a Treo 90 (because of the poor network service, not because of the screen issue) and compared the two side by side. I was surprised to see the huge difference between the two. The 270 had a dimmer yellow tint on the white while the 90 was crisp, sharp and much whiter. I dont know whether this is an just an issue with the original batch of 270's or whether it is how the product is supposed to be. I cant say since I haven't seen the newer 270's that are being shipped now.
    Hope this helps...I'm pretty anal, so if it was me I would definitely try to get it replaced. It IS a significant difference.
    Originally posted by millerhifi
    I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. I'd have to pay another $25 bucks to maybe get a similar screen issue. I'm already into this thing for plenty of time and money!
    Thanks for the advice though.

Greg
    I have had the good fortune of requiring 3 replacements for my original 180 (I now have a 270) and I only paid the $25 once. That's because 2 of the replacements were for the same original problem and I was very persistent that I will NOT pay for something that is clearly Handspring's problem.

In this case, I would insist on not paying it because they shipped you a lesser unit than what you started with. It usually needs to be escalated to a person higher up in the chain. Not sure that it would work in this case, but just letting you know that it is possible.
    I got my second 270 replacement unit and I noticed the drastic difference between the screens. The old one was positively yellow! It made me gag.

Apparently, the clearer ones are a new generation of screens.
    Part of the issue with the screen is that there are screens from different manufacturers. A replacement Treo 90 I got last weekhad a greenish tint to the screen. It also had a very lose lose membrane on the top what was even more warped than older handspring black and white units. It had a software issue too, so I got a replacement replacement this week. It has a great looking screen with a great color balance.

I've heard that Handspring has used at least two screen manufacturers for the Treo. If they had some tint control software, that might solve the problem for everyone.
    The reason you see differences in the appearance of LCDs is not because one is faulty by having a slightly dimmer appearance. LCD backlights actually vary in color over a spectrum of colors - if you never saw another of the exact same product side by side you would never notice it.

Returning a product for this reason makes little sense - part of the equation of the price of any electronics device is component variability. There will always be some variability. It does however suggest that you can be careful in the store to ensure that you are happy with the precise one you receive.
    Last edited by Poryphyron; 12/17/2002 at 02:49 PM.