1.    #1  
    bGoog.com

This gives a black Google search page and a black results page, supposedly for saving battery life. Is there a way to take any website and flip the colors to negative? Or not necessarily all colors, just flip the black and white?
    How much battery could this possibly save?

Seriously?
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Theres one for the computer too blackle.com
  4.    #4  
    How is Blackle saving energy?

Blackle was created by Heap Media to remind us all of the need to take small steps in our everyday lives to save energy. Blackle searches are powered by Google Custom Search.

Blackle saves energy because the screen is predominantly black. "Image displayed is primarily a function of the user's color settings and desktop graphics, as well as the color and size of open application windows; a given monitor requires more power to display a white (or light) screen than a black (or dark) screen." Roberson et al, 2002

In January 2007 a blog post titled Black Google Would Save 750 Megawatt-hours a Year proposed the theory that a black version of the Google search engine would save a fair bit of energy due to the popularity of the search engine. Since then there has been skepticism about the significance of the energy savings that can be achieved and the cost in terms of readability of black web pages.

We believe that there is value in the concept because even if the energy savings are small, they all add up. Secondly we feel that seeing Blackle every time we load our web browser reminds us that we need to keep taking small steps to save energy.

How can you help?

We encourage you to set Blackle as your home page. This way every time you load your Internet browser you will save a little bit of energy. Remember every bit counts! You will also be reminded about the need to save energy each time you see the Blackle page load.

Help us spread the word about Blackle by telling your friends and family to set it as their home page. If you have a blog then give us a mention. Or put the following text in your email signature: "Blackle.com - Saving energy one search at a time".

Have a look at our energy saving tips page for ideas on steps you can take to save energy or you can follow Blackle on Twitter and we will keep you updated with simple energy saving tips.

There are a lot of great web sites about saving energy and being more environmentally friendly. They are full of great tips covering the little things that we can all do to make a difference today. Try Blackling "energy saving tips" or visit one of the many great blogs dedicated to environmental awareness.
  5.    #5  
    Take a look at my post, then your response. I didn't start out to "attack" you or anything, but your response seemed like you were ridiculing me. With italicized "possibly" and then a "seriously?" after that.

It was a legitimate question. Did you not notice the part in my post where I said "So....if it was a stupid question and you want to roll your eyes and make fun of me about it...." and you said nothing about that.

Anyways I guess this is the part where I say sorry for thinking you were making fun of my post and I move along now.

Still no answer to the question.
    <<deleted posts>>

Please don't escalate the discussion to name calling.

Thanks,
    Berd
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    bGoog.com

This gives a black Google search page and a black results page, supposedly for saving battery life. Is there a way to take any website and flip the colors to negative? Or not necessarily all colors, just flip the black and white?
    I could be wrong, but I think black-pages don't use any less battery than white pages.
    The backlight on your device is still putting out the same brightness.
    Just call me Berd.
    I thought that since you were the one who posted this you could give me some sort of technical answer to my question, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I'm not too sure how much clearer I could've been, and I didn't mean to upset you.

Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    I could be wrong, but I think black-pages don't use any less battery than white pages.
    This was my first thought, but I was unable to put it into words. Thanks
    Last edited by fxspec06; 03/20/2011 at 03:09 PM. Reason: clarity
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

from the web site:

A leading expert in green computing calculated that a “Black Google Would Save 750 Megawatt-hours a Year” [EI]. The expert claims that a black version of the Google search engine would save an enormous amount of energy due to the popularity of Google. Another study about "Energy Use and Power Levels in New Monitors and Personal Computers", carried out by the Environmental Energy Technologies division of the University of California (Berkley), concluded that it requires more power to display a white screen than a black screen [GOV]. When comparing CRT and LCD monitors, measured energy savings are higher on CRT monitors. Still, both types of screens benefit from the usage of a darker screen, including using our mobile black Google search engine.

Less Is More

Reduce your data plan costs and see your pages load faster! Bandwidth is saved by delivering small compressed pages with only what you need to perform your search and only the classic Google text or image based results to reduce your network data usage. Our home page does not contain JavaScript or large graphic images so your bandwidth and power usage stays very low. It’s no contest when comparing data transfer sizes per page of bGoog.com and Google. When comparing the size of the intro page plus the results of a basic query for the word ‘energy’, Google’s default mobile page is 3 times larger and Google’s classic page is 5 times larger! [WSO].
    Okay, goes to show what I know.

btw. White text on black screen is not comfortable for me. That's just me.
    Just call me Berd.
  11.    #11  
    I could get used to it if it lengthened my battery life. I currently average 10-15% per hour and a saving of even 1% per hour would equate an extra hour (on the day) of battery life.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    That is exactly correct. I am a EE and that is how LCD displays work.

The LCD is a filter that goes over the backlight. Filters do not add light, they reduce it. Setting it to any color or black is like putting a gel over a stage light. The light is still on. If anything, the more gels you add the more powerful a background light you need.

You actually set your backlight brighter with a dark background. Say you are watching a movie or presentation, or are at home at night, etc.

With a white background you are going to set your brightness lower so that it does not blind you or give away that you are using your phone. With a black background you leave it cranked up.

If you want to save power, use a high contrast color combination like black on white, and turn your brightness down.

If you really want to save power, turn off the device and the lights and go outside for a walk.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 03/20/2011 at 04:22 PM.
    so google made that up? What happened to "do no harm"?
    When the article quoted "A leading expert" I became skeptical. The omission of the expert's name is suspicious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    so Google made that up? What happened to "do no harm"?
    Scientific American is the nerd magazine to end all nerd magazines. I have been a subscriber since high school:

Fact or Fiction?: Black Is Better than White for Energy-Efficient

"...To make it black, LCDs rely on a diffuser to block this light. As a result, LCDs use more energy than CRTs to display a black screen...

"...Even though Google isn't tied to Blackle other than powering its search engine, Google green energy czar Bill Weihl in August posted a blog disputing the notion of black as the new green. "We applaud the spirit of the idea, but our own analysis as well as that of others shows that making the Google homepage black will not reduce energy consumption," he wrote. "To the contrary, on flat-panel monitors (already estimated to be 75 percent of the market), displaying black may actually increase energy usage."
    Think of it this way. A back-lit LCD has a backlight. The LCD draws hardly any current when it is clear, but the more voltage you put across the LCD, the darker it gets as it filters out more and more light. So a tiny bit more power is needed for black than for white.

And even the new "LED TV" you want is not LED. It is LCD. It just uses LED's for backlights.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 03/21/2011 at 10:42 AM.
    lol shot down so quickly !! i like it a lot !! thanks for all the info guys !!
    ĦṔ-ḶøØṫ-ŦḯØη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Myth Busters, anyone?
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    This. Having the background black simply blocks the backlight. It is still burning at the same brightness.

Depending on the technology the LCD panel is using (TN, TFT, IPS) it may actually require slightly more power to have the panel display all black then it would to display all white. But we're talking minuscule amounts here. The point is, the premise of saving energy with an all-black background is absolutely unfounded, unless you are running a phone with a CRT or plasma display.
    Touchscreens are a fad.