Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I thought the 2nd half of the article is most interesting, (of them guessing all the great ways to use webOS AND Win on a laptop or desktop)!

Take care all of you,

Jay

HP Grooming webOS for Assault on Android, Apple iOS - HP to Tackle Android, Apple in Mobile Market

By: Clint Boulton, 2011-03-19

HP Grooming webOS for Assault on Android, Apple iOS - Mobile and Wireless - News & Reviews - eWeek.com

When new HP CEO Leo Apotheker said he expected the company's webOS platform on 100 million devices a year, he effectively declared war on Google's Android and Apple's iOS mobile platforms.

Apotheker made it clear at HP's Summit March 14 that webOS, the mobile operating system HP gained in its acquisition of Palm would be the centerpiece for the company's new push into mobile computing.

"webOS has the potential to become a very broad and very massive platform," Apotheker said, adding that he wants to get webOS running on desktop PCs, laptops, notebooks, tablets, smartphones and printers.

HP's current focus on webOS smartphones such as the Palm Pre 3, and webOS tablets such as the forthcoming TouchPad, mean the company plans to munch market share currently enjoyed by Apple's iPhone and iPad and Google Android smartphones and tablets.

"There is no doubt WebOS is a direct Android competitor (Apple as well). With it, HP wants to stake out its own ecosystem and rival the complete environments created by the others (think WebOS App Store, iTunes equivalent)," industry analyst Jack Gold told eWEEK.

But 100 million devices a year? That's ambitious, isn't it? Not necessarily. Gold said it should be easy for HP to reach those numbers if they put webOS on all printers and many of their mobile devices.

Others aren't so sure. Gartner Research analyst Ken Dulaney said that while HP introduced the Pre 3 and Veer slider phones last month, it has yet to produce a full touchscreen phone to compete with the iPhone or popular Android handsets such as the Samung Nexus S.

"They really needed to cement their capability to work on a full touchscreen device as a way of getting into the smartphone business, which is ultimately going to be a lot larger volume than the tablets," Dulaney said.

This will be tough to do at a time when Android and iPhone have become the dominant platforms in U.S. Even perennial smartphone leader Research in Motion is fading behind its upstart rivals.

Dulaney is more perplexed by HP's strategy to pair webOS with Microsoft Windows on desktops and laptops, allowing those computers to interact with HP's smartphones and tablets.

There will be a beta version of WebOS running on Windows in a browser by the end of this year, with webOS shipping on Windows PCs in 2012.

"We're a little puzzled about what he's up to with webOS. We don't necessarily see the logic of what's going on. Maybe the dream is that you buy all of their tablets, or smartphones or PCs, and there will be a version of webOS to run widgets on top of the devices."

This is not unlike the user interface experiences provided on existing Android smartphones running Motorola's Motoblur, or HTC's Sense UI.

Yet Dulaney said there's no guarantee the widgets developed for smartphones will run effectively on a tablet or a PC, let alone that consumers will want them.

But Gold said WebOS could be a side process that has instant start-up and not require the long boot times of Windows.

Ideally, this would get users on the Web or into their e-mail almost instantly. Moreover, Windows has a weak touch-based interface, so this could be a way for HP to implement touch on a Windows machine, he said.

IDC analyst Bob O'Donnell is fairly certain HP and Apotheker are on to something. By putting webOS onto its PCs and laptops, it could draw developers to port apps for its webOS smartphones and tablets.

"What you could do is run not only apps in a webOS environment but also synchronize your data from your PC running Windows into webOS into a seamless fashion," O'Donnell said. "There will be a lot of devices that could potentially run it."

This will lure developers to webOS. The challenge, O'Donnell said, is in execution. How will HP get users to run webOS on their HP PC? That remains to be seen.

"I'm not sure it's all been baked yet and they may still be trying to figure all of this out," Gold said. "It's a huge company with undoubtedly conflicting groups and strategies... it will be interesting to see who wins out."
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Thanks Jay!

<<thread moved to HP Palm News forum>>
    Nice article!

I'm diggin the title.. 'Assault on Android & iOS'. Awesome on so many levels.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Thanks Jay!

<<thread moved to HP Palm News forum>>
    Hi, all,

OOOPs so sorry, my bad..I put it in the wrong place...but it is an interesting article...

I am so looking forward to the release of the Pre 3, since I was still w/my centro...

I'm eager to see what they are going to come up with for webOS PC/laptops...I have mentioned this before, keep in mind that I am not an expert in this area...however, since Win is such a resource and power hog, I am sure that there are a number of functions that would save power by using only webOS instead of Win...This would be an ideal situation for a laptop or netbook, when going on a long flight etc...

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Putting webOS on all their PCs would put them on the fast track to app catalog growth. In terms of specs, the Pre 3 will be able to hold its own and the Touchpad will be among the top tablets, but the app catalog will be the big weakness. On the other hand, obviously HP has no problem selling PCs, and using their PC business to catapult their mobile business could pay off.

I would say they just have to get there before everyone else. There are rumors that Asus might use Android to make a $200 network, and Apple keeps incorporating more iOS features in Mac OS. But then, getting there first has always been a problem with Palm. Maybe HP's PC business will help Palm get there first.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    i think the easiest way for hp to do this is by just creating a "webos app""portal" on the desktop. that way you log into your profile and have all your "enyo" apps run and im not too sure how the mojo stuff would work. if they can make it work like that they will be to put it on macs as well!! making the migration from ios to webos slightly easier!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    hp desperately wants to get in the software business. that's why they hired leo apotheker. that's why they bought palm.

they now have their own os and control their own destiny. they will succeed or fail based on their own efforts and not because of the strategic direction of their partners (i.e., microsoft).
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Interesting article.

Dulaney obviously didn't understand the syncing benefits of having webos on a pc. I don't think he understands webos either since he thought the best use of having webos on a pc was to implement widgets. Kinda weird that the writer would even use him in the article since he didn't seem to know what he was talking about.
    I get the "synching" concept. Really.

But, most desktops and laptop computers are not touchscreen; if HP is thinking of making only touchscreen computers and notebook computers in the future, it would likely push them out of the competitve price range that they are in with their competitors, and, I'm not sure that the extra capabilities of WebOS integration are enough to substantiate that.

We definitely need much more clarity on this... I, for one, hae many more questions than answers.

Good article, Jay!
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Thank you!
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    as great as it all sounds, it's really up to execution and quality of the apps. I frankly hope they pull it off, but if I was a betting man.........................
    Global Posts
    715 Global Posts
    Good Luck !!!! The focus on taking down the top OS's could be futile. Let's concentrate on getting going,crawl before you walk.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post

But, most desktops and laptop computers are not touchscreen; if HP is thinking of making only touchscreen computers and notebook computers in the future, it would likely push them out of the competitve price range that they are in with their competitors, and, I'm not sure that the extra capabilities of WebOS integration are enough to substantiate that.

We definitely need much more clarity on this... I, for one, hae many more questions than answers.

Good article, Jay!
    What if they use the mouse or touchpad vs the screen for gestures, etc? I could easily see a larger touchpad that allows for all the gestures vs using the screen.
  14.    #14  

Good article, Jay!
    Thank you! take care, Jay
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I like the "side-loading" aspect. My Asus laptop has two power buttons - one to load into Vista64, the other to load from Flash ROM to a desktop in 10 seconds. It has 5 apps to choose from: Browser, Music, Email, Chat, and Pictures/Videos.

I'd would love to see webOS attached to the second button! The windoze button would most likely gather dust if this were the case!

WyreNut
    Pre2/3/TouchPad, and TouchDroid user.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    What if they use the mouse or touchpad vs the screen for gestures, etc? I could easily see a larger touchpad that allows for all the gestures vs using the screen.
    Mike;

I don't know... Im from the school of "less is more", as it has proven to be the goal of just about everything we try to achieve, from making computers more powerful, yet be smaller, to simpified designs of homes and buildings to allow thier function to become their aesthetic, rather than contriving a new one.

I dont see people buying yet another piece of hardware to run their PC, or some specific program on their PC that doesn't really bring much else to the table than what the PC"s main OS does.

Admittedly, though, I'm intrigued, but, cautiously - I'll believe that this is a good thing when I can be convinced of it - for the time being, I honestly don't see how it is a good thing.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

This is similar to what I would think would work.

Apple - Magic Trackpad - The Multi-Touch trackpad for your desktop.

http://i56.tinypic.com/4pt402.jpg

Mike;

I don't know... Im from the school of "less is more", as it has proven to be the goal of just about everything we try to achieve, from making computers more powerful, yet be smaller, to simpified designs of homes and buildings to allow thier function to become their aesthetic, rather than contriving a new one.

I dont see people buying yet another piece of hardware to run their PC, or some specific program on their PC that doesn't really bring much else to the table than what the PC"s main OS does.

Admittedly, though, I'm intrigued, but, cautiously - I'll believe that this is a good thing when I can be convinced of it - for the time being, I honestly don't see how it is a good thing.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Mike;

For a notebook, you wouldn't need extra hardware. Just more functional hardware. I have a MacBook Pro & Apple adds gestures all the time that are very functional & generally make things easier, IMO. webOS shares a few gestures, but most are different &, like you, I would need to see it, but I think there is real potential. Look at all the guys screaming there's no gesture area on the TouchPad. You just need short videos explaining the gestures--especially for those that haven't used webOS & for other tips.

I am guessing for a PC, you might need the extra hardware as mentioned by berdinkerdickle another post, but I also think you could have a pad where the extra set of numbers are/were (for the accountants) that could be used for the gestures or on the opposite side if you have to have numbers to the right vs in the top row.. I guess all speculation at this point.
    Well, just like most computers come bundled with a mouse and keyboard, HP could bundle a trackpad for gestures on their non-touchscreen PCs. I hope the keyboards they bundle with webOS-enabled PCs come with webOS function keys, and having a trackpad with a webOS keyboard would be pretty nice.

Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    I would like Just Type on the pc. Web search, local search and quick actions with no search mode to enter into first. Let me search my private cloud too and perhaps even search my other connected devices from my pc running Just Type.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast