Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Did anybody manage to get one and use it successfully with the Treo?
    I guess the version with adapter for Nokia 3000,8000 phones is necessary....
    Thank you.
    does that headset also have a wire to connect to the phone? That seems strange to pay big bucks for a bluetooth headset and then connect it with a wire.
    Anyway, as far as I know, there's no way to enable a Treo communicator with bluetooth. You could put a bluetooth card in a Treo 90, but it's not a phone, so a bluetooth headset would be pointless with that device. The other Treos do not have bluetooth built in, nor do they have any slots for bluetooth cards.
    Were you under the impression that a Treo phone had a bluetooth connection?
    Maybe I'm just confused as to what you're trying to do?

-Greg
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    Could there be something that plugs into the headset jack that uses bluetooth to communicate with the headset?

<added later>
    Hm... well this post is useless now. :0) It was answered right after I posted it.
    Last edited by KRamsauer; 10/17/2002 at 02:18 PM.
    Originally posted by GregGaub
    does that headset also have a wire to connect to the phone? That seems strange to pay big bucks for a bluetooth headset and then connect it with a wire.
    Anyway, as far as I know, there's no way to enable a Treo communicator with bluetooth. You could put a bluetooth card in a Treo 90, but it's not a phone, so a bluetooth headset would be pointless with that device. The other Treos do not have bluetooth built in, nor do they have any slots for bluetooth cards.
    Were you under the impression that a Treo phone had a bluetooth connection?
    Maybe I'm just confused as to what you're trying to do?

-Greg
    There are 2 parts to this device. First, the base transmitter, is a very small (size of silver dollar) device that connects to the headset port of the Treo. It comes with a belt clip to attach next to your treo if worn on the belt. I also made a mod to my CaseTech leather case to hold the device when not worn.

Then you walk around with the Jabra earpiece (wireless) up to 30ft away. It is very helpful when driving. Volume control and on/off are right on your ear.

Another neat thing, this works on my phone at home that has a 2.5mm jack. Very cool!

In all, considering the Treo has not native bluetooth support, this is a very well made device and does what it advertises.
  5. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Originally posted by thegman
    Another neat thing, this works on my phone at home that has a 2.5mm jack. Very cool!
    So it works on both 2.5mm and Treo/Nokia ports?
    That's cool. I did some surfing around Jabra's site to find it and learned more. It's a cool idea, and I think I'd enjoy having one, but at $180 I think I'll pass. ;-)
    -Greg
    Originally posted by GregGaub
    That's cool. I did some surfing around Jabra's site to find it and learned more. It's a cool idea, and I think I'd enjoy having one, but at $180 I think I'll pass. ;-) Especially if it's problematic to get working. hehe.
    -Greg
    Nope, it is cake to use. Charge it out of the box for 2 hours. Plug it in to your Treo, make calls!

It is plug and play. And, just unplug it from your Treo and plug it in to any phone with a 2.5mm jack, such as a cordless 900/2.4 phone and you are in wireless business.

The headset is very comfortable, very clear and noise free.
    After reading the thread again I realized that you weren't having any problems with it, you were just wondering if anyone else got one and how they like it (and I just noticed that it wasn't even you that made the first post, hehe). I edited my last post, but apparently not before you replied to the old version.

It sounds like a sweet device, that's for sure. For $180, it had better be! ;-)

-Greg
    A few questions for thegman:

1. I guess the headset part has a rechargeable battery, how often do you need to recharge it?

2. Does the on/off button work like the switch on the original treo headset? ie when phone ring put the switch on ON to answer call and OFF to hang up?

3. What model do you need to order for the treo 270? the treo is not on their compatibility charts.

4. Can the base be stuck on a flat surface? eg on the back of the treo?

5. What kind of range can you get?

Thanks in advance!!
    Additionally, is there any way to know from the headset alone that a call in coming in? Or do you have to hear the ringer from the Treo?
    1. I guess the headset part has a rechargeable battery, how often do you need to recharge it?

Yes, both the base and headset have batteries. I charge it about every 3 hours of talk time.

2. Does the on/off button work like the switch on the original treo headset? ie when phone ring put the switch on ON to answer call and OFF to hang up?

Yes, works exactly like the corded headset button.

3. What model do you need to order for the treo 270? the treo is not on their compatibility charts.

The model for Nokia phones 3000/8000 series

4. Can the base be stuck on a flat surface? eg on the back of the treo?

Yes, I made a cool mod though that I can only explain with a pic, so I'll do that this weekend and post it.

5. What kind of range can you get?

At my office I get about 30ft, there are many walls there. Outside or around my house I get about 50-75. One thing about this is interference from 802.11 LAN devices. You may have to change your 802.11 base station channel so it does not interfere.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Additionally, is there any way to know from the headset alone that a call in coming in? Or do you have to hear the ringer from the Treo?
    You have to hear or feel the phone. This was something I always wanted with my Plantronics cordless headset for my office desk phone but oh well.
    Yes, I made a cool mod though that I can only explain with a pic, so I'll do that this weekend and post it.
    Thanks for your reply, a picture would be great especially to get the feel for how thick (deep) the base is.

All the pictures I have seen do not show this.

You have to hear or feel the phone. This was something I always wanted with my Plantronics cordless headset for my office desk phone but oh well.
    My roommate, who uses a Bluetooth-enabled Ericsson T68 phone, just got one of the no-base-station versions of the Jabra headset. It's a little cooler than the version being discussed here... among other things, it "rings" in your ear for incoming calls, independant of the phone. It can supposedly also be used to place calls using only its connect/disconnect button and the phone's voice-recognition feature, but he hasn't tried that yet (he hates programmed numbers... won't even quick-dial one particular number that he dials seven or eight times a day).

As far as batteries go, this version doesn't need a separately powered base station, so there's only one battery to charge (the one in the headset), which is supposed to provide up to 3 hours of talk time and 96 hours of standby. The charging stand is quite clever... it doubles as a belt clip when it's unplugged.

So, Handspring, when will we see a Bluetooth-enabled Treo?

--Larry
    <I>Do not attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.</I>
    So, Handspring, when will we see a Bluetooth-enabled Treo?
    If analyst Bill Crawford from USB Piper Jaffray is correct, probably after Handspring gets bought out by someone else after 2003 if at all. http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ring_stocks_dc
    Originally posted by txqc2000

If analyst Bill Crawford from USB Piper Jaffray is correct, probably after Handspring gets bought out by someone else after 2003 if at all.
    Not good. And I noticed today that all Handspring products seem to have vanished from Best Buy shelves.
    <I>Do not attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.</I>
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Thegman,
    would you mind telling us where you bought it?
    Jabra's tech support wrote me an email telling that the 3000,8000 version (the only one for the Treo) will be available next month.
    Are they just being too conservative?
    Please say where you bought it.
    Thank you.
    Originally posted by sirox
    Thegman,
    Jabra's tech support wrote me an email telling that the 3000,8000 version (the only one for the Treo) will be available next month.
    Thank you.
    www.mobileplanet.com

Put your order in though because they go through a 2 week backorder quickly.

Also, do a search on threads on this site and you'll find another merchant who has 100 (as of the other day) with free 3-day FedEx delivery.

G
    Originally posted by sirox
    Thegman,
    Thank you.
    www.celphoneaccessories.com

I ordered 1 today and expect to have it next Wed.

Greg