1.    #1  
    HP's strategy: A credibility check | ZDNet

Very interesting, objective obsrevation of the HP event, on both pages, but, in particular, here is a quote from the second page on the Tablet strategy:

"Tablets and Apple envy. Despite a lot of speculation about ditching the PC business, Apotheker was very clear that the consumer business matters. In fact, the consumer-enterprise continuum is only getting tighter. Apotheker said the consumer market is an innovation source for the enterprise.

The big question is whether HP can deliver a credible No. 2 option to Apple’s iPad. The plan here is to go enterprise with HP tablets and target key verticals such as healthcare. In other words, HP and Dell have roughly the same tablet plan. Dell, however, has Android and HP may be able to use the WebOS stack to deliver some goodies specifically for businesses.

On the consumer side, HP tablets have a shot. Sure, HP is playing from behind, but the WebOS is a nice system that works well on a tablet. In addition, Android Honeycomb has been buggy. If HP can get its TouchPad to market quickly it has a puncher’s chance to become a distant No. 2. Simply put, no Apple rival has stepped up to the plate yet with anything stellar. HP has a limited window to strike on the consumer front.

Credibility check: HP’s tablet plan is solid, but it doesn’t have a lot of time to screw around with its enterprise efforts given Research in Motion’s PlayBook is coming."
    Last edited by LCGuy; 03/17/2011 at 11:28 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

The webOS is a nice system, isn't it?

HP really does need to step up it's release schedule. The June release for the TouchPad is late, but if they can keep it up and release a 7" tablet by September, and maybe surprise us by releasing yet another tablet and round of smartphones for the holiday season, they have a shot at No. 2.

They just need a more aggressive release schedule to break through the background noise of hundreds of Android tablets.
    <edited> they really need to release that tablet sooner than June!!!
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 03/17/2011 at 04:44 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by prebulls View Post
    d**n, they really need to release that tablet sooner than June!!!
    Well, lets be a bit more concise here, if I may:

"They really need to release a blistering fast, functionally smooth as silk, bug free, and app-packing TouchPad, with terrific battery life, much earlier than June, because, as good as the iPad2 is, lots of people arent getting them due to manufacturing delays, and that means lots more potential buyers than June, when so many more millions will have their iPad2s and not even be interested in considering anything else".

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    ...much earlier than June, because, as good as the iPad2 is, lots of people arent getting them due to manufacturing delays...
    Hmmm... I kind of think those delays will slow others down as well. I'm thinking I read somewhere that HP was using the same plant for assembly as Apple. Since Apple has the priority, any delays from the factory will hurt others worse than Apple. On the up side, HP will not need as many units.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Hmmm... I kind of think those delays will slow others down as well. I'm thinking I read somewhere that HP was using the same plant for assembly as Apple. Since Apple has the priority, any delays from the factory will hurt others worse than Apple. On the up side, HP will not need as many units.
    Hmmm...

Im thinking the iPad2 delivery delays are being caused by the manufacturer's committments to other tablet players, ..

Geez, man, does EVERYTHING you post have to be so blatantly biased?? (you know, you COULD try to at least fake some objectivity... this is, after all, a WebOS site, right?)

It all depends on how you want to look at it: objectively, or with a bias towards Apple.

I pick "objectively" - silly me!

though I agree with getting the tablet out sooner then june, I assume that June is the date that it will be completly ready, with no bugs or lags in it whatsoever. Id rather them make a splash that way, then even release something that is almost ready in april, but if given that extra month or two it would have made that first impression we all are hoping for. Though what HP could do is get the Pre 3 out the door in late April on two carriers like AT&T and Sprint, getting it in the hands of consumers while they optimize Webos 3.0 on the touchpad, and when they release it in june new and old consumers would have already started to think about webos, and will pick up the touchpad in june.