Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Last year (FY10) HP shipped ~15 Million PCs per quarter for ~60 million on the year. Assuming they do half as well as apple this year (even starting out six months behind them) they might sell another 25 million webOS devices. Where do the other 15 million devices come from? Printers? Toasters? ( Someone had to say it ) Seems awfully optimistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    It sounds, to me, like it will be a browser plugin. You probably won't need an HP PC to run it.
    if theyre smart....it'll be a free download on ANY pc.

webos could potentially rule the world haha
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    It sounds, to me, like it will be a browser plugin. You probably won't need an HP PC to run it.
    Yep but those numbers won't count as devices HP has shipped.

Seems like a crazy number. Apple has just this month shipped its 100 millionth iphone.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    ok i kinda get it now webOS on a PC is gonna be like an opened up itunes on steroids...apps, social, synergy, cloud services, email, entertainment and more!
    Its easy to just say the number. Realistically I doubt they even reach 30 million. smartphones that is.
    Im not sure how I feel about this, to be honest, but first...

I can easily see 100 million devices, including PC's, Tablets, smartphones, and printers.

Now, the question I am grappling with is "for what reason?"

A PC/laptop has fully powered applications already... why the need for a browser plug in to run a modified/reduced functionality mobile version of those apps?

I get the "connectivity" part, and I do buy into that whole ecology, but, Im not sure that I can agree with how WebOS being on PC's will increase its appeal to developers, unless those developers provided apps that don't already exist on the PC, which, of course, I'd find even more of a challenge to acccept.

If the whole point is to provide connectivity on the PC, then, are they saying that the PC's will all be capacitive touch screen, then? I mean, that is WebOS's MO, right?

One thing is for sure, though, they definitely see the value in WebOS, and are leveraging quite a bit of their future on it...

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Hasn't HP been offering TouchSmart PCs? And aren't there laptops with multitouch touchpads? Plus the fact that webOS works on devices without a gesture area...

I guess for the masses, they don't need a full-fledged OS. I'm thinking, based on my folks and some friends, that they only need the basics, plus some games and probably a specialized app or two. This makes webOS the perfect daily driver for them. It'll make things go fast, more productive, while providing a desktop-like multitasking experience.

And when webOS doesn't have that special app you need, just switch back to Windows. Voila! Instant piņata.

Here's a thought: if using a multiple-monitor setup, could you have webOS on one monitor, and Windows on the other? (And maybe someday, our webOS PCs will even have a dedicated "Windows" monitor-out port )
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Toasters? ( Someone had to say it ) Seems awfully optimistic.
    Just spoke to a friend within the thick walls of HP. He sent me this render.

ill take two.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GarrettQ; 03/14/2011 at 11:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post

ill take two.
    cool stacks...
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post

ill take two.
    What they took away the rounded screen corners?!

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    cool stacks...
    lol, i was bored. although the more time i spent on it, the more i wanted it.

@Icer: the base image was taken from a touchpad pic, i guess they did away with em on touchpad.

back on topic:

if HP could make their cloud services work in such a way that application data was magically transfered between your PC and webOS phone or tablet, the experience would be awesome.

Example: lets say there were an App built in the new Enyo framework, which scales, and the app was something like quick office for document creation and editing. you have a grand idea on the toilet, and all you have is your phone or tablet, so you create this brilliant idea filled document. After your morning routine and commute, you make your way into the office. You open the webOS enabled PC and continue your work in the same app as on the phone or tablet, but scaled to your computer screen. Granted this all mostly is in the hands of the developers, but the potential for this to change the way people compute both on the go or in the office is pretty big.

HP just needs to nail the execution.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    It'll be neat having WebOS on full fledged PC's, but not that needed.

However, this will be wonderful in two PC areas:

1. Touchsmart PC's
    2. Netbooks

With regards to the Touchsmart PC's, HP has been using a tacted on layer that they created themselves. Now compared to most competitors, that layer is great. But its still just window dressing on the monster that is Windows. Any applications you're launching in it that aren't HP built are applications focused around mouse/keyboard input and not touch. By using WebOS as the primary software layer, with its "fuller" suite of apps (As few apps as WebOS may have, its still more touch-centric apps then you'll easily find for windows) you create a better experience for the end user and less reason for them to go back to Windows. They still have Windows there as an option for more traditional computing...but unlike the current touchsmarts there would be significantly less reason to keep jumping into windows.

With netbooks having an OS such as this that is focused around smaller screens would be beneficial. I currently have Jolicloud on my netbook and routinely use it more than windowsXP on boot. I'd love to have WebOS instead of it. I think you could get a lot of use out of a WebOS shell overtop windows on a Netbook being your primary experience...even without a touch screen.

I think if HP is smart they start moving to touch monitors even if the computer isn't all in one, allowing the potential for touch screen use on most of their computers. While I absolutely think WebOS is easy to be used with mouse input, I think the OS will be used more and embraced more for uniquness with its ability to make touch input work.
    they can ship it in windows. Whether anyone uses it is another question. i got an HP laptop. i never used the HP software. When i clean installed Windows 7 i surely didn't reinstall most HP stuff. And it comes with a quick startup software for playing dvds without starting windows that i never use.
  14.    #34  
    Are you sure PCs with webOS are counted in this goal?

WebOS PCs won't be out till the end of the year, and by then, the time they have given (1 year from now) would have passed... :/

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    you guys think this is a laughing matter this is the real deal, big time, e v e r y b o d y is gonna have this. you can't think of it as it is today. really start changing the way you're seeing webos because it's not what you think it is anymore. it's going big and it's never coming back. in this situation, that's a very good thing. you want this. it's going to be big. huge. |insertadjectivehere|.
    gimongous.
    ok i kinda get it now webOS on a PC is gonna be like an opened up itunes on steroids...apps, social, synergy, cloud services, email, entertainment and more!
    X2

I really don't like to use the M$ Outlook to Exchange in desktop...

GarretQ,

I love it your avatar!!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    As recently as 2005, you couldn't order dual-boot Dell computers (Linux/Windows) because Dell was contractually prohibited from selling that configuration by their Microsoft OEM agreement. I wonder if HP will face a similar situation with webOS and Windows?
    ideal is great but I doubt it could be implemented.

1. There is only 3% of pre user may want to try a webos pc. Others don't even bother with it.
    2. doing 3 things together when none has successful experience will triple the failure probablity . Webos phone + pad + pc. Even apple focus one thing @ a time.
    3 HP ceo is new. If he succeed, he could be another steve. It is not a one time game, patient is the key.

let's wait and see
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by lawtony View Post
    ideal is great but I doubt it could be implemented.

1. There is only 3% of pre user may want to try a webos pc. Others don't even bother with it.
    2. doing 3 things together when none has successful experience will triple the failure probablity . Webos phone + pad + pc. Even apple focus one thing @ a time.
    3 HP ceo is new. If he succeed, he could be another steve. It is not a one time game, patient is the key.

let's wait and see
    I definitely agree with your second point. They should start by marketing them individually. They should cut all this crap saying 'get a webOS phone, but if you get a webOS tablet as well, you can touch them together and do something cool. But hey, if you get a HP webOS PC on top of all that, then you can do even more cool stuff'

Regarding your first point, I agree with that too. WebOS really is a mobile OS, Id check out the PC version if its downloadble, but Id never consider buying a PC with webOS.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    I definitely agree with your second point. They should start by marketing them individually. They should cut all this crap saying 'get a webOS phone, but if you get a webOS tablet as well, you can touch them together and do something cool. But hey, if you get a HP webOS PC on top of all that, then you can do even more cool stuff'[/i]
    I hear what your saying on this, but not marketing their products as a family of products defeats the purpose of HP's "connected devices" strategy.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast