Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 56 of 56
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Even with the game, I'd rather a developer be able to save the game data to my palm profile so I can access it on either device rather than touching the two devices together. If you're going to go for synergy, I'd rather it be synergy and not touch to share type stuff.

    I don't discount the potential for Touch to Share and don't blame your enthusiasm. I just think its premature to talk about things that are not even confirmed to be able to be done with a new technology as a "strength" of the product or a compelling reason to buy it. Perhaps if Palm/HP had a history of actually capitalizing quickly on the "potential" of periphials and unique features.
    I'd rather it have both. But thats just me. However, then we can't assume a developer can sync game data if the thought process is this way because we haven't seen any example of how developers will use Synergy, other then what has been provided in the past.

    But your right, it is totally possible that feature doesn't do what I said. I understand that completely. However, it is possible it can do that. Its funny you mentioned Exhibition Mode because it is something that will be enabled and possible. Meaning TTS might still start out small (with browsers) and then expand later on.

    And even discounting that, every time I see someone talking about the TouchPad in an Apple form (well, back when it was announced) the TTS was the most talked about feature that people like. And that was all talking about browser sharing. So saying it is not a feature that people don't want is kinda a mute point.

    Again, gatta go, but there are more features just don't have time to explain them all. Just Type is one that I like.
  2. #42  
    I want to say thank you to everyone in this thread.

    This has been nice.

    We have shared ideas and opinions without making fun of each other or their device vices. We have not baited, insulted or demeaned each other. We said what we mean without saying it mean. We disagreed without being disagreeable.

    A discussion like this is really fun.

    Thank you.
  3. #43  
    I don't see the point in running webOS in a browser. For things like mail, calendar, etc. Windows versions are better and already would be in constant sync.

    I do see the need for something..anything..to manage things. A much better itunes. While i'm thankful that itunes is there for me now and is useful..its a PITA to use. It's laggy, it could be much much better.

    Imagine loading a web page that runs webOS and connects with your phone. It presents everything on there. You can sync apps, manage media, etc. Not only this, you can run an app right there on your computer..try before you buy? Send to phone.

    I go to any PC, run a browser with the webOS plug in and enter my palm profile and boom..its all there and talking with my webOS devices. I could choose to sync them all at once. Or sync one with another.
  4. #44  
    Ok, just expanding on why Just Type is a good talking point. Just Type is more then a universal search, it is a way to activate applications. Imagine being a Twitter addict and being able to literally type your Tweet, then tap twitter and boom, your Tweet has been Tweeted! Imagine "checking in" with Facebook (for those Facebook junkies out there) by typing in "Checking in Cheddars" and clicking Facebook and automatically have that updated. Or even just starting an email or text with Just Type. Those are three major functions of phones these days and Android or iPhone can not "Just Type", and on the iPhone you can't "Just Type" but "Swipe" to do universal search. And that can not do this. Sure, you can tweet, check in and text or email from any phone. Just you can't Just Type a Tweet and tap Twitter and have that be Tweeted. That could be something very cool for those Tweeter addicts or Facebook Junkies (you know your out there).
  5. Zyphlin's Avatar
    Posts
    564 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    I
    But your right, it is totally possible that feature doesn't do what I said. I understand that completely. However, it is possible it can do that. Its funny you mentioned Exhibition Mode because it is something that will be enabled and possible. Meaning TTS might still start out small (with browsers) and then expand later on.
    Exhibition mode is coming....2 years later. Which was kind of my point. Selling me on a feature as if its CURRENT when its actually 2 years away is a bit ridiculous.

    And even discounting that, every time I see someone talking about the TouchPad in an Apple form (well, back when it was announced) the TTS was the most talked about feature that people like. And that was all talking about browser sharing. So saying it is not a feature that people don't want is kinda a mute point.
    Which, as I said, Touch to Share is something I think will sell some TouchPads. Its an eye catcher gimmick. Its something that looks neat in a commercial or in a store.

    My issue was more in that I think, in reality, the service as its presented to us thus far is extremely limited and is nothing but a couple steps above a gimmick in my mind. A useful little feature, but nothing close to a make or break. And in using Touch to Share features that don't exist and we have no good reason to believe will exist anytime soon as a means of attempting to sell it.

    Saying "You can touch your devices together and it will transport your webpage URL from one to another" is neat, and accurate. Talking about it swapping your games saved states and such like that isn't much different then stating it'll have 100,000 apps by years end or something else that is not really factually backed up as anything. It devalues the appeal when you promise things it doesn't do.

    But as far as using TTS to help sell the TouchPads...I think it will. That kind of thing, eye catching stuff that looks cool but in reality isn't that big of a deal for most people once you get to daily use, does help sell a product.
  6. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by rkev View Post
    I'm not sure that HP is even looking to make a mark this way. Do they even care about swaying people from buying one phone or another?

    I think they're trying to sell people on WebOS - on any device - and if they can do that and it's on PCs as an integration with Windows, it could be quite effective.
    Then how do they plan to sell devices or webos for that matter?

    If choice A is to buy WebOS and be left out of the ecosystem my friends and family are in whether it be android or ios what is so great to make me go with WebOS. Or choice B buy a device that is already in my friends and family's ecosystem and enjoy all the perks from being in it with them.

    WebOS on the PC is a way to say we have it on x # of devices imo. Yes I'm sure they have a plan for it to provide features etc. But without owning a webos device to interact with webos on the pc it will provide nothing over windows considering it will not be a instant on setup.

    An instant on setup would have been the better choice imo, it would allow people to get familiar with it while not being in windows and having the normal program they use up and running right next to webos.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I like Just Type, but Just Speak would be even better. Android has voice input everywhere. iOS 5 will likely have voice actions of some sort as well. Just type will seem a bit dated by summer, IMO.

    Again, my initial point was that these things needed to be promoted a long time ago when they would have made an impact. Palm should have lead with Synergy. They never marketed it. There should have been a Just type ad a week before the Pre 2 was launched. Nothing. Waiting until all this is trumped by stronger competition is asinine! What were they thinking?
    They couldn't have advertised Just Type a year ago because it didn't exsist. WebOS 2.0 was released over seas in like aug or october last year? However ur point still stands -- palm failed in marketing which lead to their downfall. HP has not failed in marketing yet. They don't have a product to market. I think every palm fan here agrees with ur point
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Exhibition mode is coming....2 years later. Which was kind of my point. Selling me on a feature as if its CURRENT when its actually 2 years away is a bit ridiculous.



    Which, as I said, Touch to Share is something I think will sell some TouchPads. Its an eye catcher gimmick. Its something that looks neat in a commercial or in a store.

    My issue was more in that I think, in reality, the service as its presented to us thus far is extremely limited and is nothing but a couple steps above a gimmick in my mind. A useful little feature, but nothing close to a make or break. And in using Touch to Share features that don't exist and we have no good reason to believe will exist anytime soon as a means of attempting to sell it.

    Saying "You can touch your devices together and it will transport your webpage URL from one to another" is neat, and accurate. Talking about it swapping your games saved states and such like that isn't much different then stating it'll have 100,000 apps by years end or something else that is not really factually backed up as anything. It devalues the appeal when you promise things it doesn't do.

    But as far as using TTS to help sell the TouchPads...I think it will. That kind of thing, eye catching stuff that looks cool but in reality isn't that big of a deal for most people once you get to daily use, does help sell a product.
    It will also help sell Pre 3 if it will help sell TP. I mean why care about a feature u can't use?
  9. #49  
    And to dandbj13... We don't know that iOS is going to have a feature like Just Type. It would be cool, but Apple doesn't seem to be adding that type of feature.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    And to dandbj13... We don't know that iOS is going to have a feature like Just Type. It would be cool, but Apple doesn't seem to be adding that type of feature.
    A back swipe from the home page brings you to universal search on the iPhone - and while its not the same, I have yet to figure out why it is so different.

    If I type "HDR" it brings up my HDR apps, a Wiki entry and Google (or Bing, whichever I use) pages.

    If I type in "Steve" it brings up every Steve in my phone book, emails about Apple Inc, and all my Aerosmith songs, including Dude Looks Like a Lady.



    All that said, still more anxious for increased voice functionality that can compete with Google Voice.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    A back swipe from the home page brings you to universal search on the iPhone - and while its not the same, I have yet to figure out why it is so different.

    If I type "HDR" it brings up my HDR apps, a Wiki entry and Google (or Bing, whichever I use) pages.

    If I type in "Steve" it brings up every Steve in my phone book, emails about Apple Inc, and all my Aerosmith songs, including Dude Looks Like a Lady.

    All that said, still more anxious for increased voice functionality that can compete with Google Voice.

    Finngirl;

    Can typing a keyword start up an app?

    That's probably one of the key differenciating functions, I believe.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Finngirl;

    Can typing a keyword start up an app?

    That's probably one of the key differenciating functions, I believe.



    Not a key word, per se, but the first three or four letters of an app bring up the icon to tap.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Not a key word, per se, but the first three or four letters of an app bring up the icon to tap.
    Thats not Just Type. Lets say i want to say to my wife via text, "Where are you?" I Just Type that question, click the text message icon and then the app opens with that question. All I gatta do now is select my wife and click send. With other apps like Twitter, it literally would be a one click thing. All of this that i have talked about has been talked about before. We know it can do this, and developers can tap into this functionality allowing for more control. That can not be done on any other device yet. And it would have to be called Just Swipe on iOS if it ever comes to reality. (or Just Speak).

    http://www.palm.com/us/products/software/webos2/

    Watch the entire video. You'll see you can all ready update your status with a simple ... Just Type.

    See? Developers all ready using it.

    (should be noted some of THAT functionality is available on iOS 4.0. You can search for a song or band, but you can not search for playlists or favs).
    Last edited by astraith; 03/17/2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: add resouce x2 ... updated info.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    And to dandbj13... We don't know that iOS is going to have a feature like Just Type. It would be cool, but Apple doesn't seem to be adding that type of feature.
    Perhaps you are not aware of the fact that Apple bought Siri: an app that does something very much like that, and much more. It has been long rumored for iOS 5 There is good reason to believe such a feature is going to be unveiled this summer.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Thats not Just Type. Lets say i want to say to my wife via text, "Where are you?" I Just Type that question, click the text message icon and then the app opens with that question. All I gatta do now is select my wife and click send. With other apps like Twitter, it literally would be a one click thing. All of this that i have talked about has been talked about before. We know it can do this, and developers can tap into this functionality allowing for more control. That can not be done on any other device yet. And it would have to be called Just Swipe on iOS if it ever comes to reality. (or Just Speak).

    Ah, I see the difference. It is much more built in. I accomplish a similar thing, by voice, with an app (Dragon Dictation - I speak to it, then select text message icon) but its not built in.

    What I don't see from your example above, is why that's any easier than opening the phone and clicking "Messages" from the app launch and start typing. If you're going to be typing it out anyhow, why not just type it in the app. You are going to have to select the person, but you have to do that already.

    But like I said, when its like Google Voice, where I can speak "Text Steve Smith" (like you can already do with "Call" - which works well, or "Play" which works poorly), then I will be happy.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Perhaps you are not aware of the fact that Apple bought Siri: an app that does something very much like that, and much more. It has been long rumored for iOS 5 There is good reason to believe such a feature is going to be unveiled this summer.

    Actually no I did not know that. Must have missed that!

    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Ah, I see the difference. It is much more built in. I accomplish a similar thing, by voice, with an app (Dragon Dictation - I speak to it, then select text message icon) but its not built in.

    What I don't see from your example above, is why that's any easier than opening the phone and clicking "Messages" from the app launch and start typing. If you're going to be typing it out anyhow, why not just type it in the app. You are going to have to select the person, but you have to do that already.

    But like I said, when its like Google Voice, where I can speak "Text Steve Smith" (like you can already do with "Call" - which works well, or "Play" which works poorly), then I will be happy.
    You should go back and look at some of the videos I posted. I didn't realize you'd all ready posted!!!!

    But WebOS 2.0 with Just Type is amazing, the possibilities for developers can be endless. I think it is going to turn into Just Speak, however it might be too late (if dan is right, Apple might be making that functionality in iOS 5.0). But we shall see!!!

    Another cool thing is you can type an address and then click Google Maps, then get directions.

    AND BTW how is it easier? Well, with the Twitter status updates and Facebook Status updates you'll get a bunch of social junkies who will WANT WebOS just for that (you'll have to actually advertise it though!!! which is dan's point!!! and mine!!! hp are you listening!!!). In that way, it may not be faster -- it would depend on when you open the facebook app is the status the first thing that pops up and how quickly can you tap it to start typing? Here all you have to do is type, click and boom it's done.

    But with the music video, you'll see loading a playlist is quick and easy. You can even start from where you last stopped ... IN THAT PLAYLIST. That means it remembers (the app, of course -- that you must buy) what and where you where listening to for each playlist. That is pretty cool and enhanced by Just Type b/c it is faster to get there.

    And ... whats next? You can all ready get directions with Just Type. Send emails with Just Type. Get your favorite band quickly with Just Type. All while updating your status and (maybe if facebook lets you!!!) check in your location with Just Type.

    What can you do with Just Type? (that be a kinda cool slogan!). Sure, it's up to developers to make more functionality. But then the iPhone is up to the developers to add value there, as well. Every platform lives or dies by apps and developer support.
    Last edited by astraith; 03/17/2011 at 04:47 PM.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions